Will an '87 soft top fit a '77 Cj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Will an '87 soft top fit a '77 Cj

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-28-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
Dborns
1983 CJ7 

Will an '87 soft top fit a '77 Cj

I found a great deal on a Bestop soft top on Craigslist. The seller says its for an '87-'95 Yj, but said it may fit a Cj. Can anyone tell me if it would fit my '77? It does include the hardware.
Thanks

Dborns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2010, 01:22 PM   #2
JimNut
1986 CJ7 

Check out the CJ Stickies thread at the top of the forum. A lot of the answers to the FAQ's can be found there

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/yj...ion-cj-506688/

JimNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
CrazyHorse6
1979 CJ7 

What type of top are you currently running? I'll assume a factory one?

You'll need a couple of key pieces of hardware and will need to overcome a design obstacle:

1) Bestop windshield header. You'll need one of these as I doubt your factory one will work.
2) Channels that run on top of the tub. You probably have snaps and the YJ top will have a plastic lip that folds under and clips beneath these channels. No big deal, but you'll need to install the channels on top of your tub.
3) The YJ has a swing out tailgate while you have a drop down tailgate. The YJ has a special tailgate bar that helps seal the back door and window, so you'll need to engineer something. Check the above post for more info.

Find out what hardware comes with it- might make the deal a lot easier.

Are you military or former military? Take a look at militaryjeepers.com!
CrazyHorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.