Will 3M tape hold diamond plating on rockers? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Will 3M tape hold diamond plating on rockers?

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 04-29-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
Rmally
1984 CJ7 

Will 3M tape hold diamond plating on rockers?

I just finished cutting out all the rust (wasn't much) on my drivers side rocker panel and then welded in new metal. The repair has been etched primed and painted.

I just bought a pair of the diamond plate 5 1/2 inch rocker covers but don't want to drill into the tub. I've read that you can use some type of 3M double sided tape, will this tape really hold the side plates on? Has anyone ever done this and if so can you tell me which tape to purchase.

Thanks guys,

Rmally is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

That's what hold most new cars together these days.
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

I did a cj7 for a friend of mine 6 years ago and that is what I used for him. Buy a good brand like 3m and clean the area for the tape.

He has had no trouble at all with his.

Dave in Muskegon
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Won't hold if you 'use' them rockers much
2 bolts each side..........
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
ColdSteel85
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmally
I just finished cutting out all the rust (wasn't much) on my drivers side rocker panel and then welded in new metal. The repair has been etched primed and painted.

I just bought a pair of the diamond plate 5 1/2 inch rocker covers but don't want to drill into the tub. I've read that you can use some type of 3M double sided tape, will this tape really hold the side plates on? Has anyone ever done this and if so can you tell me which tape to purchase.

Thanks guys,
I worked for several years at a Truck accessories shop. 3m double sided tape is what we used to install many items such as rocker panel trim, bed rail caps, ect. Be sure to clean the area well with alcohol and let dry. After applying tape to back of rocker trim and peeling of the other side of the tape using a heat gun to heat the tape will help it adhere better. Prepping the surfaces with 3m adhesive promoter will help to but be cautioned it will stain paint a light purple so make sure to only put it on places that will be covered. Let adhesive promoter completely dry before sticking panel on. Once you stick it its hard to get a redo. If you do need to redo and need to remove the 3m tape a rubber pin striping removal wheel will be your friend. You can pick them up cheap at the auto parts store. Hope this helps!!
ColdSteel85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
Rmally
1984 CJ7 

Thanks Fella's, heading out to find some 3M......LG...love the comment... with Windrock in my backyard I guess we will see how well they hold.
Rmally is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #7
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

The tape may hold for awhile.
But what about Winter with the wet roads and road 'yuk', Then the hot summers when the Sun is bake'n the glue dry?
Plus, what are you going to do if that thing comes off in the middle of BFE, or the highway?
LG
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:21 PM   #8
CJ7ROB
1986 CJ7 

I had some 3/16" thick diamond plate on the rockers of my Jeep. No tape was holding them things on very long. Stuff was heavy even for aluminum, so I used like 6-8 stainless screws to hold them on.
CJ7ROB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
Keith_b00ne

Yes & No. Yes it will hold it, but only for a few years. The glue/tape gets brittle and will start to get hard and break down. I recommend bolts.
Keith_b00ne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
19jeep85
1985 CJ7 

If you don't want to drill into your tub, how about panel adhesive? Its like liquid nails for body panels and 3M makes a good one. Poison Spyder (before they changed their name) used to have an article about using it in conjunction with the bolts on their rockers.
Unread 04-30-2013, 09:53 PM   #11
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

No matter how good the adhesive is, it's only as good as the paint its applied to. If I'm not mistaken, body panel adhesive is to be applied to bare metal.

My choice for a rocker guard would be steel, bolted on, not a piece of thin aluminum without strengthing ribs, held on with any adhesive.

My $0.02.

Bill

Edit, regardless of what everyone calls it, diamond plate is actually not the correct term, it's actually called Tread plate.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2013, 10:34 PM   #12
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Remember this, IF that panel should come off and someone is hurt or there is damage to property.
YOU PAY ...
Couple of bolts is cheap insurance.
LG
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #13
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

I went with quite a few evenly spaced pop rivets. (about every foot around the perimeter) They don't protrude at all and I don't believe they're noticeable. I used so many for fears of "popping" the rivets a few years back, but still haven't popped a single one. Doesn't solve the not drilling dilemma though.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 07:58 AM   #14
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I'd probably drill holes where the original rocker trim bolted on, and use those holes for the new ones.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #15
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Drill holes then apply paint around the holes before putting the rocker on. Use stainless steel bolts. Use a backing sealer to seal the edges to prevent dirt etc from getting in behind them.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.