Wide track axle conversion question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Wide track axle conversion question

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-26-2002, 09:44 PM   #1
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Wide track axle conversion question

I've got a spare set of wide track axles that I want to put under my 75 CJ. Why? For the extra stability, front disk brakes, and looks. That said, my question is for anyone who has done this. I know the front is a straight bolt in and I know my shock options as I also have a spare set of towers and plates. But the rear is where it gets tricky. The rear spring mounts on the frame are the same distance apart in the rear as the front (roughly 28.5 center to center). 76 on saw the wider frame in the rear with the axle flange being a mere 4 inches away from the leafspring pack and the wide track axles then saw 6 inches distance. After welding in new spring perches, the wide axle on the narrow frame will set the flange about 9.5 inches away. IS THIS TOO MUCH DISTANCE..IE LEVERAGE FOR AN AXLE MOUNT? I will be using a Model 20 with no lift and stock sized tires. The end result will have the springs just on either side of the diff housing. An option is to move frame mount outboard of the frame. Would this be better, anyone done this before in this type of situation?
Thanks

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2002, 09:51 PM   #2
CSP

I'm running a 65.5" wide Chevy 14 bolt on a CJ with the same distance between frame rails. That's about 10" wider than a wide track. I have seen no stress come from this additional leverage, but I do have the frame boxed from front to rear. I will tell you that it flexes like mad!! You wouldn't be the first to do this, and I've never seen widetrack axles overstress a narrow frame in over 20 years of Jeeping.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2002, 02:21 AM   #3
JIM79CJ7

Box And Gusset the frame First , then there will be no doubts

JIM :{>

Custom Stuff--- [URL=http://www.JCfabanddesign.com]JC Fab & Design[/URL]
ORANGE JEEP CLUB
MEMBER # 1

1979 CJ7 / 304 /T 150 /HUGGER ORANGE PAINT JOB/ Lots of cool stuff
2003 Inca Gold Rubicon , <------ Sissy jeep :)
JIM79CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.