Wide track 86' Laredo Lift / Tire size question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Wide track 86' Laredo Lift / Tire size question

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-15-2012, 03:43 AM   #1
JeepinInTheSE
1986 CJ7 

Wide track 86' Laredo Lift / Tire size question

I'm sure that someone on here has covered this before, but I'm looking for some knowledge on what size lift I would need to run 35" BFG A/T tires on my 86' Laredo with wide track axles. I don't really want to trim the fenders. I know that Backspacing plays a roll, and that the tire width / knobs play a roll, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Would like to keep a "relatively low" center of gravity.

JeepinInTheSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 06:40 AM   #2
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Without trimming, there's not much chance of raising the center of gravity.

Lift and trimming: You're going to need about 5" of lift and if you plan on going off-road you'll need to trim the rear of the wheel well opening on the tub.
Wheels: for a 10" wide rim you'll need about 3.75" backspacing for a 12.5" cross-section tire.

To get by with less lift, you can use bump stops to keep the axle from impacting the body but that decreases the suspension flexibility and transfers impact energy directly to the frame when encountering tall obstacles.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #3
papa355
1977 CJ7 

One thing he has going for him is the BFG's measure short compared to everthing else vs. advertised height. 35" BFG's may only measure 33.5 or barely 34" in real life (not off manufacturer's chart)

My MTZ's only measured 34.75 mounted and aired up (15x10 wheel)

"I wouldn't have road rage, If you knew how to drive...."
papa355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2012, 01:04 AM   #4
JeepinInTheSE
1986 CJ7 

gojeepin, I see you have TJ fender flares on your rig. How well to they contour to the body after cutting the fenders? Are you happy with the TJ flare conversion?
JeepinInTheSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Those are Rugged Ridge CJ Pocket Flares. They fit well and I don't have mud thrown on me any more.

I only cut the rear of the tub... the front didn't need it. Except for the rear, I painted all body surfaces under the flares flat black rather than cut.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
35" tires , lift kit advice , wide track

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.