Why your steering wanders or seems loose. - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Why your steering wanders or seems loose.

Old Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble Fairleads

Unread 02-25-2008, 06:09 PM   #61
alancurry
1985 CJ7 

If my jeep has the shims in the front and rear do i need to remove the ones in the rear?

alancurry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2008, 10:58 AM   #62
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

Do you have a lift? Have you measured your castor? Is your jeep handling poorly? Why do you want to remove them?
Unread 02-27-2008, 04:17 PM   #63
alancurry
1985 CJ7 

i do have a lift

i measured my castor and it seems to be correct unless i measured at the wrong location or something

handles poorly lots of play in the steering

i dont want to remove them unless it is affecting the steering
alancurry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2008, 09:43 PM   #64
jksull
1985 CJ7 

Enjoyed your post and have found very helpfull. My question is.
I have a 85 with no modifications to the suspenion, I have measured the caster at 4 deg, The wheel will begin to return but will not center. I have dissconnected the arm on the pittmin. It seems hard to turn the wheels (turning by the tire out side) (both off the ground) Is it normal to require both arms with a firm footing to turn both wheels from stop to stop. If it is how much caster angle can be added 6 deg total or more with out making steering harder. The PO says it has been darty since he bought it at 9k miles now has 19k miles.
At hwy speeds it drives nice but I dont drive on hwy much, the problem shows itself at speeds under 50mph with slight wheel movements making it dart. on a smooth road you can let the wheel go and it will go straight to the end of the earth. I have measured the tow and even moved it as much as 1/4 on 31" tires with no change.
It acts to like the ball joints are tight and the steering wheel movement has to overcome to force needed to move the ball joints springing past intended movement by the steering wheel. I suspect tight ball joints are not the normal problem seen but this jeep has seen most of its life in the garage.
Part two; I had a 79 7 and dont remember a tortion bar, and a very differant driving jeep. I have read warning about removing the bar on this forum but how do the later mods ride and drive with bar removed. Was the bar installed because of the bad press ( yahoos turning them over) Your thoughts please Jim
jksull is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2008, 09:10 PM   #65
lascelet
1978 CJ7 

what would you do

my cj has a 4" spring lift and all it did was change the drive line angles the caster angle should be the same. because the axles drop stright down .
i was told that my problem can be fixed by a drop pitman arm and spring steer kit ??? what do you think will fix the problem
lascelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2008, 10:48 AM   #66
vintagejeep

jim

new guy today. hello to all.

mine: 72 cj-5, 350 cid, fiberglass body, 2.5 inch bds suspension.

Considering front swap to coils. The ride is HORRIBLE now. And was just as bad with the old springs.

I've been looking for a kit for the front with no luck. I think I can keep the rears and reverse the shackles.

I'm not new to the truck - I've owned it for twenty years. I want to drive it this summer but can't afford brain surgery from the ride.

Any input would be great. If I can assist with anything please ask. Very mechanical person also hvac and electrician 25 years. Ask away!
vintagejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2008, 12:41 PM   #67
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagejeep View Post
new guy today. hello to all.

mine: 72 cj-5, 350 cid, fiberglass body, 2.5 inch bds suspension.

Considering front swap to coils. The ride is HORRIBLE now. And was just as bad with the old springs.

I've been looking for a kit for the front with no luck. I think I can keep the rears and reverse the shackles.

I'm not new to the truck - I've owned it for twenty years. I want to drive it this summer but can't afford brain surgery from the ride.

Any input would be great. If I can assist with anything please ask. Very mechanical person also hvac and electrician 25 years. Ask away!
How long have you had the BDS springs? Have you had a chance to take them off road and really flex them? My guess is that with the fibreglass tub, your Jeep can be on the light side for the spring rate. Do you have your spare tire mounted on the back? Just curious because just having the weight of the spare hanging off the back can make a noticeable difference.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2008, 09:11 PM   #68
atomicflatulenc
1985 CJ7 

My steering shaft has some play in it. Is that normal? When I grab it and shake it, both ends have play in them.
'85 CJ7, 258 4.2 Howell TBI, NP435, twin sticked Dana300, 4.56 Yukon chromoly: Rear20-extra thick tubes, shaved,trussed,discbrakes,ARB: Front30- flipped tierod,Detroit EZ locker, warn hubs: 3.5" BDS YJ springs and booster, 35" Trxus M/T's, rhino'd, full roll cage, borgenson steering shaft, big daddy steering box bracket...Unknown OIL Leak(working on it...)
FOR SALE $6000
atomicflatulenc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2008, 04:00 PM   #69
souphound

would this apply to a shackle lift as well?
souphound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2008, 05:24 PM   #70
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicflatulenc View Post
My steering shaft has some play in it. Is that normal? When I grab it and shake it, both ends have play in them.
I just went and shook mine. It was very tight. The ends barely moved.
Unread 03-10-2008, 06:55 PM   #71
atomicflatulenc
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUtiger View Post
I just went and shook mine. It was very tight. The ends barely moved.
yikes. I didn't want to hear that. mine has about a 1/16 to 1/8" play at both ends.

I also noticed no shims in the front. need to figure out this caster angle thing.
'85 CJ7, 258 4.2 Howell TBI, NP435, twin sticked Dana300, 4.56 Yukon chromoly: Rear20-extra thick tubes, shaved,trussed,discbrakes,ARB: Front30- flipped tierod,Detroit EZ locker, warn hubs: 3.5" BDS YJ springs and booster, 35" Trxus M/T's, rhino'd, full roll cage, borgenson steering shaft, big daddy steering box bracket...Unknown OIL Leak(working on it...)
FOR SALE $6000
Unread 03-11-2008, 11:16 AM   #72
LSUtiger
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
yikes. I didn't want to hear that. mine has about a 1/16 to 1/8" play at both ends.

I also noticed no shims in the front. need to figure out this caster angle thing.
I had about 1/16 play at either end .
Unread 03-13-2008, 07:28 AM   #73
atomicflatulenc
1985 CJ7 

Quote:

Measured the caster last night at our monthly meeting. It was at 6 degrees.

The movement in the steering shaft is more like 1/4" of movement on both ends. I hear that the end at the steering box isn't tough to fix, but the other end requires the steering column be removed. So...new tools...and a lot more reading.

edit: checked the balljoints and all linkage. everything seems swell but that shaft.

Should I go Borgeson or Flaming River?
FOR SALE $6000

Last edited by atomicflatulenc; 03-14-2008 at 07:27 AM..
Unread 03-14-2008, 10:04 AM   #74
DT5150
1983 CJ7 

i finally got around to checking mine. after looking at the pic on the 1st page, the needle on mine is on the opposite side of 0. it's at about 4 or 5 degrees but i'm not sure if it's positive or negative. can anyone tell me? you can also see the angle of the front diff a little.

DT5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2008, 12:03 PM   #75
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT5150 View Post
i finally got around to checking mine. after looking at the pic on the 1st page, the needle on mine is on the opposite side of 0. it's at about 4 or 5 degrees but i'm not sure if it's positive or negative. can anyone tell me? you can also see the angle of the front diff a little.
That's a positive caster angle - you are set correctly with the top angled backward over the bottom ball joint.

My pick was of the left side, yours is of the right side.

You should be checking this with the axle tubes sitting on the jack stands at normal height. Not with the frame on jack stands.

Tags
ball joint , camber , caster , drag link , loose steering , tie rod , Tie rod end , toe in , toe out , wander , wandering , wheel bearings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.