Why your steering wanders or seems loose. - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Why your steering wanders or seems loose.

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-28-2007, 12:47 PM   #46
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Wonder why the issue of pinion angle wasn't addressed?

If you rotate the axle with wedges, or by cutting off the spring mounting posts, you change the pinion angle also.

Just a few degrees of pinion angle change can cause some pretty significant problems, including premature wear of the drive shaft 'U' joints and vibrations that will drive you to madness...

The 'Correct' way to change PINION angle is with spring pad shims.

The 'Correct' way to change CASTOR angle is with offset ball studs, or by cutting the outer 'C's off the axle, and realigning them with the correct Castor angle, and welding them back up so standard parts work the way they should.
--------------------

Spring shims are a 'Compromise' at best between Pinion Angle and Castor...

JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #47
CJ83
1983 CJ7 

Dumb question and maybe I just missed it.... I recently installed a 4" lift on my '83 CJ7 and it came with 6 degree shims which I installed on the rear axle (fat edge forward). I'm assuming that this has nothing to do with castor and I'll need to also install shims on the front to help with steering castor... is that correct?

Thanks for the help!
CJ83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2008, 09:50 AM   #48
307cj7
1980 CJ7 

just bought a stock 80 cj7 and it walks pretty bad. you said lifting messing it up what about to fix a stock jeep??? any help would be great....
307cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2008, 03:12 PM   #49
mike4089

wow did this make a huge diffrence...now all i do is want to drive my jeep...but its cold
mike4089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2008, 06:16 PM   #50
SwampThang
1984 CJ7 

Thanks for this thread!!! If anybody out there could please do a before and after picture for us newbies that would be greatly appreciated.
Unread 01-23-2008, 02:09 PM   #51
alancurry
1985 CJ7 

Shims in place

great information,

i bought the angleometer and went to measure the angle and noticed my cj allready has shims in place with the correct angle. Still having wandering and play in the steering.

Any suggestions?

thanks in advance
alancurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-24-2008, 09:54 AM   #52
chiliman77
1981 CJ7 

this wouldnt affect the steering when the jeep is not moving correct? It seems like a dumb question, but just to be sure-

My cj has play in the steering wheel when it is just sitting, leading me to believe if i tighten up the steering box I will be able to correct the situation. I think this is right?

Thanks
chiliman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2008, 11:17 AM   #53
spk454
1983 CJ8 

chiliman, make sure your tie rod ends, ball joints, spring bushings etc. have no play in them, none of your steering box mount bolts are broken...before you mess with the tension on the steering box. just my 2c.
spk454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2008, 06:42 AM   #54
drunkenrich
1980 CJ7 

i understand this article, i just don't understand how to actually measure the angle, like where to put the anglometer. can anyone help? i have 2 inch lift shackles, will these shims help alot?
drunkenrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2008, 08:06 AM   #55
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Loose the shackle lifts !
Post 10 has a descript of how to set the angle meter to check caster
Unread 02-11-2008, 10:42 AM   #56
drunkenrich
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
Loose the shackle lifts !
Post 10 has a descript of how to set the angle meter to check caster
if i keep them and do the shims will drivability increase? thanks fatman
drunkenrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 10:43 PM   #57
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenrich View Post
i understand this article, i just don't understand how to actually measure the angle, like where to put the anglometer. can anyone help? i have 2 inch lift shackles, will these shims help alot?
Dear Drunk...
x2 I agree with Fatman
In another post you were also told the 2" shackle lift are going to give you problems. Nothing is going to change that. I think it was your post and question on Shackles.

Regards,
Fred
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2008, 07:13 PM   #58
ajeepman
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Hey guys I just went out to look at my 84 cj7 with 4" suspension lift and found that on the driver side I was pretty close to the 4 degree mark but between the springs and the perch is the mount for the stabilizer so there is no gap between the leafs and the axle which is a good thing. Now on the passenger side I noticed a slight gap between the leafs and the perch. Now I'm not an engineer by far but would think that if I put a shim on the drivers side it is going to throw it off but on the passenger side it would just fill that gap. The lift was installed by p.o. by the way. What would you suggest I do in my situation....remove the stabilizer mount?
ajeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2008, 08:16 PM   #59
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajeepman View Post
Hey guys I just went out to look at my 84 cj7 with 4" suspension lift and found that on the driver side I was pretty close to the 4 degree mark but between the springs and the perch is the mount for the stabilizer so there is no gap between the leafs and the axle which is a good thing. Now on the passenger side I noticed a slight gap between the leafs and the perch. Now I'm not an engineer by far but would think that if I put a shim on the drivers side it is going to throw it off but on the passenger side it would just fill that gap. The lift was installed by p.o. by the way. What would you suggest I do in my situation....remove the stabilizer mount?
Both sides of the axle must be shimmed. Get steel shims and secure the shim to the springs with new centerbolts. The attached picture is of a driver's side installation. The shim is located on top of the steering stabilizer bracket and is secured with the spring centerbolt. There should be no gaps between the springs, shims and axle spring perch. If you have a gap, that means your U bolts are loose.
springwedge.jpg  
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2008, 09:25 PM   #60
ajeepman
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help!
ajeepman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ball joint , camber , caster , drag link , loose steering , tie rod , Tie rod end , toe in , toe out , wander , wandering , wheel bearings

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.