Why your steering wanders or seems loose. - Page 23 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Why your steering wanders or seems loose.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-12-2013, 08:04 AM   #331
tineyhairs
1975 CJ5 

tks for the info. it pays to sirf the older pgs of cj5 form. just got my 75 cj5 . the ol girl has the wandering issue. has a lift kit, 10-1/2 x 32" have not measured the lift yet. will use the angle finder to see where its @. tks for your knowledge it helps us all. ps the springs are under the axle.

tineyhairs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 10:15 AM   #332
CZ_Kid
1986 CJ7 

I read through most of the pages and I don't believe I saw this mentioned anywhere? I have the "wondering steering" issue. When driving I can pretty much keep a straight line but after taking a turn the wheels don't really center themselves. I have an 86 CJ7 with a 4'' lift with and 33.5 BF Goodrich all-terrain tires. It also has factory power steering that I installed (used) since my jeep originally came without power steering. Everything appears in order with steering components. Nothing broken or loose. There is a little play in factory steering shaft at the upper joint but this is expected after 25+ years and will be corrected with new steering shaft. My questions is should I consider shimming an already offset front leaf? I called lift kit manufacture (Tuff Country EZ-Ride 4") about possible caster angle issues and I was told that the front end leafs were manufactured "offset" for proper caster angle. Do these offset leafs not always correct caster angle 100% and still require a 2 degree shim at least? Thanks guys. BTW, I live in Puerto Rico where getting a proper diagnostic is sometimes difficult and is why I have not gone to a tire shop for caster angle information. I'm pretty handy with tools but not 100% comfortable with this angle tool as I've seen it used several different ways in this thread and don't want to get a bad reading. Thanks again.

Update: I put an angle meter on the top bolt of the upper ball joint and got a reading of 5 degrees of positive caster. From what I've read, it should be about 4 degrees with a 4" lift? So I'm good?

Last edited by CZ_Kid; 02-25-2014 at 03:52 PM..
CZ_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ball joint , camber , caster , drag link , loose steering , tie rod , Tie rod end , toe in , toe out , wander , wandering , wheel bearings

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.