Why your steering wanders or seems loose. - Page 23 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Why your steering wanders or seems loose.

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 10-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #331
tineyhairs
1975 CJ5 

tks for the info. it pays to sirf the older pgs of cj5 form. just got my 75 cj5 . the ol girl has the wandering issue. has a lift kit, 10-1/2 x 32" have not measured the lift yet. will use the angle finder to see where its @. tks for your knowledge it helps us all. ps the springs are under the axle.

tineyhairs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2014, 11:15 AM   #332
CZ_Kid
1986 CJ7 

I read through most of the pages and I don't believe I saw this mentioned anywhere? I have the "wondering steering" issue. When driving I can pretty much keep a straight line but after taking a turn the wheels don't really center themselves. I have an 86 CJ7 with a 4'' lift with and 33.5 BF Goodrich all-terrain tires. It also has factory power steering that I installed (used) since my jeep originally came without power steering. Everything appears in order with steering components. Nothing broken or loose. There is a little play in factory steering shaft at the upper joint but this is expected after 25+ years and will be corrected with new steering shaft. My questions is should I consider shimming an already offset front leaf? I called lift kit manufacture (Tuff Country EZ-Ride 4") about possible caster angle issues and I was told that the front end leafs were manufactured "offset" for proper caster angle. Do these offset leafs not always correct caster angle 100% and still require a 2 degree shim at least? Thanks guys. BTW, I live in Puerto Rico where getting a proper diagnostic is sometimes difficult and is why I have not gone to a tire shop for caster angle information. I'm pretty handy with tools but not 100% comfortable with this angle tool as I've seen it used several different ways in this thread and don't want to get a bad reading. Thanks again.

Update: I put an angle meter on the top bolt of the upper ball joint and got a reading of 5 degrees of positive caster. From what I've read, it should be about 4 degrees with a 4" lift? So I'm good?

Last edited by CZ_Kid; 02-25-2014 at 04:52 PM..
CZ_Kid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 09:36 AM   #333
Ebomb

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the great info. I have a 2001 Jeep Wrangler with a 4" lift. how do i go about fixing the issue on my jeep?

Ebomb
Ebomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread Yesterday, 09:54 PM   #334
captkhaos
1980 CJ7 

Subscribed.
captkhaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
ball joint , camber , caster , drag link , loose steering , tie rod , Tie rod end , toe in , toe out , wander , wandering , wheel bearings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.