Why your steering wanders or seems loose. - Page 22 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Why your steering wanders or seems loose.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-19-2011, 08:19 AM   #316
Mike2411

Wandering CJ5

James,
Great article. I learned a lot from your supplied links, too.
I have a '76 CJ5 with a 4" suspension lift and 33" tires.
Correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm about to install some shims to get this thing back between the lines where it belongs.
It seems that to achieve a positive caster, the top point of the imaginary line of suspension travel needs to be slightly behind bottom of the line of travel. A negative caster would put the top of the line of travel slightly ahead of the bottom of the line. See pic.

So, to get that stock 4 caster back, the thick part of the 4 wedge should go to the back, putting the wheel center ahead of the top of the line of suspension travel, right? Maybe I'm looking at this incorrectly, but to me, this makes more sense. Please let me know asap.

Thanks,

Mike2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2011, 08:28 AM   #317
Mike2411

Correction...

Pls disregard my previous post. I see now that the thick part of the shim to the front does give a positive caster. Sorry for any confusion!
Mike2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2011, 07:32 AM   #318
sickboycj7
1981 CJ7 

subscribe. Great Thread. Thanks
sickboycj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #319
sickboycj7
1981 CJ7 

PO installed 2 degree shims backwards giving me a 0 degree castor. i turned them around, now I'm near 4 degrees, not perfect but it's a night and day difference. This saved me a ton money as I was about to start replacing everything on the front end. Thanks
sickboycj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #320
Opi43
1986 CJ7 

I just bought a cj7, without a lift. It has the same loose steering problem. What would cause this. And how can I fix it??
Opi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2012, 09:11 PM   #321
cottnpickr

Whole new steering system, still wanders, about to lose it, please help

I have read James' post (several times-great post) and many others, trying to figure out my '84 CJ7. I'm finishing a complete restoration and virtually everything on the Jeep is new, down to stainless steel bolts and screws all over. These are the things I've replaced on the steering system, most of which I wanted to anyway, but it still roams all over the road:
power steering (had manual)
steering shaft
both shaft u-joints
gear box (power steering)
Pittman arm (straight)
tie rod
damper
upper and lower ball joints
hubs
bearings
4-wheel drive lockouts
shocks
shims (caster is approx 5 degrees positive)
steering wheel
new silicone bushings all over
The entire steering system is new except the knuckles. Jeep is not lifted. There is no loose play in the steering; jiggle the steering wheel and the front wheels jiggle (sitting still); when moving, you have to turn the steering wheel about 1/4 turn before front wheels turn, then fight to get them to turn back to avoid a head-on or running off the road. Then turn them the other way again-constant battle.

I'm probably taking it to an alignment shop, but before I do, I'd like to know if I've missed anything obvious that will make me look more stupid than I feel. I have put over $5k in parts and paint, and got deals on most items. I've done all work myself-no one else has touched it, so can't blame anyone else.

It started out as a labor of love (my late brother got it new in '84), but it has turned int my biggest nightmare. My wife is about to beat me with a cast-iron frying pan. I'm scared to go to sleep, afraid of what she might cut off.

Anyone with any ideas, please share them, before I O.D. on Jelly Bellies.

Thanks for all your help and info.
Wandering starts stable I haven't had the courage to get it over 45. Essentially, it is undriveable.
cottnpickr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-16-2012, 01:42 AM   #322
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottnpickr View Post
I have read James' post (several times-great post) and many others, trying to figure out my '84 CJ7. I'm finishing a complete restoration and virtually everything on the Jeep is new, down to stainless steel bolts and screws all over. These are the things I've replaced on the steering system, most of which I wanted to anyway, but it still roams all over the road:
power steering (had manual)
steering shaft
both shaft u-joints
gear box (power steering)
Pittman arm (straight)
tie rod
damper
upper and lower ball joints
hubs
bearings
4-wheel drive lockouts
shocks
shims (caster is approx 5 degrees positive)
steering wheel
new silicone bushings all over
The entire steering system is new except the knuckles. Jeep is not lifted. There is no loose play in the steering; jiggle the steering wheel and the front wheels jiggle (sitting still); when moving, you have to turn the steering wheel about 1/4 turn before front wheels turn, then fight to get them to turn back to avoid a head-on or running off the road. Then turn them the other way again-constant battle.

I'm probably taking it to an alignment shop, but before I do, I'd like to know if I've missed anything obvious that will make me look more stupid than I feel. I have put over $5k in parts and paint, and got deals on most items. I've done all work myself-no one else has touched it, so can't blame anyone else.

It started out as a labor of love (my late brother got it new in '84), but it has turned int my biggest nightmare. My wife is about to beat me with a cast-iron frying pan. I'm scared to go to sleep, afraid of what she might cut off.

Anyone with any ideas, please share them, before I O.D. on Jelly Bellies.

Thanks for all your help and info.
Wandering starts stable I haven't had the courage to get it over 45. Essentially, it is undriveable.
Stainless bolts are OK on non stress items but stuff like suspension, steering, engine mounts or other bolts that are critical to safe operation of the vehicle should be proper SAE automotive grade.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2012, 09:14 PM   #323
hagan39
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opi43 View Post
I just bought a cj7, without a lift. It has the same loose steering problem. What would cause this. And how can I fix it??
Can anyone answer this?? I recently put power steering on a manual without a lift and my steering is loose as can be. I am turning the wheel half way before I get any reaction.
hagan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 08:41 AM   #324
rise
1979 CJ5 

Is your Steering box mount flexing? Ball joints loose or bad? Tie rod ends old bad or loose?
I had the problem once..And I was driving it around with the bolts in the steering mount actually loose.
Unread 02-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #325
rise
1979 CJ5 

And make sure the ball joints were correctly installed. Mine would not return to center very well and it was because I did not pre load the upper joint the first time I replaced them. I reinstalled them correctly and the Jeep drives like a Cadillac now

forumrunner_20120227_074818.jpg
Unread 08-18-2012, 05:24 PM   #326
top10

Does anyone know the correct caster for a 1960 willys utility wagon?
top10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #327
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

OK... what's listed in the Factory Service Manual and what you really need will be different.

In 1960 we were all using bias ply tires. Due to the sidewall and tread characteristics of the bias ply tire, you could get away with less caster but still have the mechanical trail effect you needed.

A good rule of thumb for radial tires is between 5* and 8* positive caster.

I cover this and a lot of other steering and suspension concepts in the article linked below.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2012, 11:46 PM   #328
svenster
1985 CJ7 

so i am posting here because i feel my other post regarding this subject wasnt quite answered. yes i read the whole 21 page post. it took me forever. i have a shackle reversal with a 4' BDS yj spring conversion. all steering components are new, minus the pump and box. everything is tight. i am experiencing death wobble anywhere between 30-45 mph. i have 9.1*-9.3* caster. do you guys feel that getting the vehicle closer the 6* will help me fix my issue? thank you
svenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 04:38 AM   #329
OrangeCJ-5

1978 CJ5 

Cottnpickr,

Just wanted to 2nd what rise said about the ball joint installation. I couldn't find the procedure in my Hayes manuals (either one: Cj nor F150) When I replaced the joints in my F-150, the instructions that came with the ball joints stated that the upper gets an initial torque, the lower gets torqued and then torque the upper to the final spec. It stated that if this procedure is not followed it could cause them to bind up
OrangeCJ-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 10:57 PM   #330
way2fastmike
1973 CJ5 

ok how will this work on a spring over lift? im confused.
way2fastmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ball joint , camber , caster , drag link , loose steering , tie rod , Tie rod end , toe in , toe out , wander , wandering , wheel bearings

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.