Why your steering wanders or seems loose. - Page 20 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Why your steering wanders or seems loose.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-14-2011, 11:30 AM   #286
MikeMCJ
1951 M-38 

yes, it is preset to 6 degrees on later (ex. 84-86) CJs, but my experience with radials has been good with 4 degrees.

MikeMCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 11:35 AM   #287
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eumel789 View Post
I'm sorry; I thought this is all about correcting the caster!
We only talked about the normal "spring under" set-up. How do you correct the caster when the springs are on top of the axle? Do the shims go in with the thick end facing toward the back of the vehicle instead of the front?
In a spring over setup the 'correct' way would be to cut and rotate the inner C's, but most people probably do not do this.
Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 11:57 AM   #288
MikeMCJ
1951 M-38 

from the 84-86 FSM, but remember this is for a SUA
caster.jpg  
MikeMCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2011, 09:38 AM   #289
nickmimi
2011 JK Wrangler 

The PO of my jeep did a spring over axle conversion. I am thinking of going back to spring under axle. Are there any specific things I would need to replace? for example the drive shaft? I was thinking of replacing the springs, shackles, shocks as well.

Last edited by nickmimi; 03-08-2011 at 10:10 AM..
nickmimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 12:47 PM   #290
shull360CJ7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Finally got my shims that were on back order.

I plan on installing them Wednesday or Thursday when I'm off. I understand they need bolted to the spring pack using the center bolt. I see right now I only have about 1/4" excess bolt and it looks lime I'll need something longer.

Can I just get another bolt (grade 8) at the hardware store? If for some reason I need a special bolt I'd like to order it so I have it.

Thanks,

Brian

Immigrant from the CJ world...be patient...I can be taught
shull360CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 12:52 PM   #291
jalves3
1967 CJ5 

I got mine at NAPA. They only had 350 something in stock.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" Abraham Lincoln
jalves3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #292
shull360CJ7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalves3
I got mine at NAPA. They only had 350 something in stock.
Thanks wise guy! Haha

Unread 05-02-2011, 02:09 PM   #293
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shull360CJ7 View Post
Can I just get another bolt (grade 8) at the hardware store? If for some reason I need a special bolt I'd like to order it so I have it.
If you look at the center bolt, you may notice that it may not actually be a traditional bolt. If it is, you really don't want it to be. The proper way to do this is to get another center bolt of the proper length and proper head (or "pin") diameter to match the hole in your death shims from your local spring shop.

Using regular hex-head bolts in round holes is just one more way which people cause friction and material wear in a shim stack up that leads to suspension instability. The sharp points on the hex-head corners will enlarge or oval the shim hole over time and allow the axle to displace from the leaf pack.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #294
shull360CJ7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavementPounder

If you look at the center bolt, you may notice that it may not actually be a traditional bolt. If it is, you really don't want it to be. The proper way to do this is to get another center bolt of the proper length and proper head (or "pin") diameter to match the hole in your death shims from your local spring shop.

Using regular hex-head bolts in round holes is just one more way which people cause friction and material wear in a shim stack up that leads to suspension instability. The sharp points on the hex-head corners will enlarge or oval the shim hole over time and allow the axle to displace from the leaf pack.
I'll pay attention to that, thanks. Maybe carriage bolt? Zip ties may actually work best in fastening my death shims though.

Unread 05-02-2011, 11:29 PM   #295
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shull360CJ7 View Post
I'll pay attention to that, thanks. Maybe carriage bolt? Zip ties may actually work best in fastening my death shims though.
The zip-tie sarcasm is obvious, but I can't tell whether you are serious about the carriage bolt. Carriage bolts have a flat head, defeating one of the primary purposes that the center bolt has. Besides keeping the leaf pack together, your center bolt is designed to be a 4-way locator between the axle perch and the leaf pack in the fore/aft and cross-car directions. Ideally, the center bolt head should be a light press fit (tight enough to tap on) to the hole in the shim. Same for the shim peg to the hole in the axle perch. Any slack at these interfaces will result in movement over time no matter how tight you make the u-bolts.

Real center bolts with the correct heads are $3-$5 each at your local shop, so it isn't really worth trying to find a substitute that might end up costing more and yet be less effective. Bring the leaf packs with you to the spring shop along with a couple more bucks and they'll probably zip them in for you on the spot since they have all the right clamps and fixtures sitting. Last time I did a pair, it was like $20 (bolts included) and 15 minutes at a non-franchise type of place. Make sure you indicate which side of the pack you need the center bolt heads on.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
Unread 05-03-2011, 05:08 AM   #296
shull360CJ7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

PP thank you. I didn't realize the bolts played so many roles. Now I have to find a spring shop nearby. I don't believe there are any specialty shops near but I'm sure certain garages have experience with this.

And the zip tie remark was my immature come back for the death shim remark. The last thing I want to bring back up is the opinion some have of shims.

Thanks again.

Unread 05-03-2011, 08:30 AM   #297
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

No offense taken by any means. I think we all know you can probably build an entire Jeep with zip-ties and duct tape.

Unread 05-05-2011, 07:03 PM   #298
shull360CJ7
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well today I proved to myself just how dumb I can be sometimes.

So I go about preparing to install my shims. For some reason it made sense to me that the shim would simply be sandwiched between the top of the spring pack and the axle perch. I realized the hole in my Warrior shims was much smaller than the diameter of the HEAD of the pin. I read that the shims often have to be drill out to use them so I proceed to drill the center hole out to 1/2".

As I begin sandwiching everything back together I realize I lost most of the depth the pin head penetrates into the perch. I felt this was unsafe so the wheels began to turn.

I then realized I was supposed to remove the pin from the spring pack, place the shim on top then place the pin through it all where it would rest in the recessed flat portion of the spring. Ahhhh! How could I be so careless.

So now I need new shims and pins that are about 1/4", atleast, longer. I'm going to call Tom Wood's this time so I don't have to wait on back-order from the previous supplier.

Sorry to rant but hopefully thus stops someone from ruining a set of shims like I did.

Unread 05-06-2011, 09:01 AM   #299
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

I just completed my FREE SOA and I cant keep it under control....

I think I'm going to need a massive Z bar.
But on the bright side it has a front tow hitch that doubles as a lift block
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #300
jalves3
1967 CJ5 

Shull, easy mistake to make. When I referred to getting mine at NAPA I meant a centering pin, not a grade 8 bolt. A spring shop will probably have a better selection but there is not one close to where I live. You never mentioned whether your degree shim was steel or aluminum. Most experienced folks highly recommend steel.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power" Abraham Lincoln
jalves3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ball joint , camber , caster , drag link , loose steering , tie rod , Tie rod end , toe in , toe out , wander , wandering , wheel bearings

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.