Why your steering wanders or seems loose. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Why your steering wanders or seems loose.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 08-22-2007, 03:40 PM   #16
RH31379
1983 CJ7 

I am having the wandering problem, loose steering but have a stock jeep. I changed the ball joints and sleeves last year could this be the cause?

RH31379 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2007, 07:06 AM   #17
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Your tie-rod ends could be worn out or you may need to have the preload adjusted on your steering box ever so slightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH31379
I am having the wandering problem, loose steering but have a stock jeep. I changed the ball joints and sleeves last year could this be the cause?
Unread 09-04-2007, 01:06 PM   #18
RH31379
1983 CJ7 

all front end components are new, so tie rods are good. i'll check that adjustment
RH31379 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2007, 09:52 PM   #19
diamatron
1978 CJ7 

Looking at how the article says to install these shims is backwards from what the suspension people say to install them. Like I installed mine. To tilt the pumpkin upward towards the transfer case, improving the driveshaft angle.

I only have like 2 degree shims up there I think, They were installed by a previous owner. I have chaged the springs since to 3" Black Diamonds. I just kept the front wedges in place, and actually measured and ordered the correct ones for the rear.
diamatron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2007, 06:47 AM   #20
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

They're wrong if they told you that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamatron
Looking at how the article says to install these shims is backwards from what the suspension people say to install them. Like I installed mine. To tilt the pumpkin upward towards the transfer case, improving the driveshaft angle.

I only have like 2 degree shims up there I think, They were installed by a previous owner. I have chaged the springs since to 3" Black Diamonds. I just kept the front wedges in place, and actually measured and ordered the correct ones for the rear.
Unread 09-20-2007, 06:51 AM   #21
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamatron

This thread isn't about correcting driveshaft angles. It's about setting the suspension correctly for safe drivability. If you want to reach both goals of correct castor and a perfectly aligned front driveshaft, you're going to have to rotate the tubes in the housing.
Unread 09-20-2007, 08:17 AM   #22
diamatron
1978 CJ7 

I would think the only way to solve both driveshaft angle & caster would be with the ball joint sleeves. Or, like you said, remove the and re-weld the pumkin in the correct position.
diamatron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2007, 10:25 AM   #23
CJSAMM
1977 CJ5 

Man am I now confused

I just purchased a 77 CJ-5, Jeep is in decent running condition and zero rust(viewable above and under). Although driving it home I thought I was going to die from the steer play. It does have a lift, I am not sure exactly the height, but I would say around 4 to 6 inch. The first thing I want to tackle is this ...the steering issues. I started reading the article, and it seems very well written, but I think I am still having a hard time to understand exaclty where to put the anglemeter at to determine how outta whack my Jeep is. Maybe someone can explain the best way to start this steering project to me in layman terms...or maybe in kindergarten terms. I don't want to sound like a total TOOL, but I do want it right and as easy as possible. Any help would greatly be appreciated. I will re-read this article again, but help would be good...maybe if you could give it to me in 1,2,3 step process. Thanks
CJSAMM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-28-2007, 01:06 PM   #24
JIB

I just tried this on my '73 CJ5. My steering improved a 1000 fold! Seriously.
JIB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2007, 06:49 PM   #25
DT5150
1983 CJ7 

mine's got a 4" lift and it also has these symptoms. though they're not too severe. mostly wandering at speeds over say 45 or 50. especially when i hit a bump. the steering wheel does correct itself after a turn but not all the way. would i still need the 4 degree shims or the 2? how much are they? i didn't see em on the site...
DT5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2007, 06:56 PM   #26
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

You most certainly need them. They are about $30 + a few bucks for longer centering pins. Should take you about 25 minutes to put them on.
You can buy them from www.4xshaft.com or Rubicon eXpress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT5150
mine's got a 4" lift and it also has these symptoms. though they're not too severe. mostly wandering at speeds over say 45 or 50. especially when i hit a bump. the steering wheel does correct itself after a turn but not all the way. would i still need the 4 degree shims or the 2? how much are they? i didn't see em on the site...
Unread 10-16-2007, 06:59 PM   #27
DT5150
1983 CJ7 

think i need the 2 degree or the 4 degree?
Unread 10-16-2007, 07:06 PM   #28
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Unsure...you need to measure your castor angle or take it to an alignment shop and have them do it ...takes 5 mins.
Unread 10-16-2007, 07:14 PM   #29
DT5150
1983 CJ7 

ok.. looking at RE's site, they're all 2.5" wide. for some reason, i'm thinking 2.5" is too wide for a cj7. am i wrong?

and can i check the castor angle w/out jacking it up and removing the tires? just put the anglometer on the ball joint from the inside?
Unread 10-16-2007, 07:26 PM   #30
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Quote:
ok.. looking at RE's site, they're all 2.5" wide. for some reason, i'm thinking 2.5" is too wide for a cj7. am i wrong?
stock CJ front springs are 2" wide. MEASURE what you have installed.

Quote:
can i check the castor angle w/out jacking it up and removing the tires? just put the anglometer on the ball joint from the inside?
It needs to be a flat surface, not lifted off the ground, if you were to jack up the front what would you use for a reference?

I'm concerned the message is being misinterpreted.

You should be looking for an overall 4 degrees positive caster measured on a flat surface.

If, after installing a lift, you only have 2 degrees of caster then you need to add 2* shims. If you have 0 - 1* then I'd add the 4 degree shims.

You have to measure where your current settings before you buy. Examples on how to do this have been provided above.

Tags
ball joint , camber , caster , drag link , loose steering , tie rod , Tie rod end , toe in , toe out , wander , wandering , wheel bearings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.