Why a Twin Stick??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Why a Twin Stick???

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 11-18-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

Why a Twin Stick???

Ok, I thought I understood what a twin stick does. I plan to install a spool to my AMC 20 and a locker to the D 30. I was told that with a locker, you may have trouble making tight turns on trails. So I was told you could either A. unlock one of the hubs, B. Do a 5 point turn, or C. have a twin stick and take the front shaft out of 4wd. Now is this a good reason for a twin stick? What other use is there for upgrading to one? I don't think I want to remove the interlocking pins if I do this upgrade so I won't be able to use just front wheel drive. Now I have seen where you can't put the jeep in 4 lo upfront if you do a twin stick upgrade. Is this correct?

Paved Roads
A Fine Example of Needless Government Spending
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post

Sometimes it a good idea to pull a vacuum hose before the wife rides in it--you can tell her you need a new ____ and once you get your new ____ you can reconnect the hose. :)

84 Cj 7 w/ 4-Banger, 4.5" BDS lift, 1/2 Trans Drop, Twin Stick, 32" Tire, Front Aussie Locker, No Sound System Yet, No Armor, Warn 8274 Not Installed, Webber Carb Upgrade, Luckycheese Ing. Upgrade...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 01:44 AM   #2
OldSailor
1977 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppatello View Post
I don't think I want to remove the interlocking pins if I do this upgrade so I won't be able to use just front wheel drive.
You're wrong here. Even with the pins left installed, you will still be able to have front wheel drive -- however, you will only be able to select LOW Range front wheel drive. The interlocking pins, which prevent one axle from being put in a different range than the other axle, also prevent you from attaining HIGH Range front wheel drive.

Yes, putting the front axle in Neutral when making tight turns on the trail with a locker is one of the main ways of using a twinstick conversion. That will allow you to leave the rear axle in LOW Range while making that tight turn -- something you can't do without a twin stick (without exiting the vehicle).

You will also be able to do "front digs", which is accomplished by putting the front axle in LOW Range and the rear axle in Neutral. With a little practice, you'll be able to drive sharply around trail obstacles and then put it back in 4WD LOW range.
1977 CJ7, AMC360 V8 w/ headers, DUI HEI, Edelbrock intake, Holley 4150 carb, , TF999, D300, D30 front and AMC20 rear with 4.56 gears and lockers both ends, 4" susp lift, 2.5" body lift, 35" BFGs, ARG steering, 8000-lb winch, etc.
OldSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 03:14 AM   #3
JavaTee
1979 CJ5 

Here's a site to help with the interlock pins 4x4Wire - Dana 300 quick tips . Doing this modification maintains the interlocks, but allows you the avaliability of all 6 positions, (yes you get front wheel drive hi & low range).

Later, T.J.
JavaTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 06:51 AM   #4
poppatello
1984 CJ7 

So this is pretty much the reason's all stated above for having a twin stick correct?

Paved Roads
A Fine Example of Needless Government Spending
Quote:
Originally Posted by berserker View Post

Sometimes it a good idea to pull a vacuum hose before the wife rides in it--you can tell her you need a new ____ and once you get your new ____ you can reconnect the hose. :)

84 Cj 7 w/ 4-Banger, 4.5" BDS lift, 1/2 Trans Drop, Twin Stick, 32" Tire, Front Aussie Locker, No Sound System Yet, No Armor, Warn 8274 Not Installed, Webber Carb Upgrade, Luckycheese Ing. Upgrade...
poppatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 07:06 AM   #5
hotrod351
1955 M-38 

true, a locker in the front is a real pain for going around turns, i have a power-lock in the front of my old willys and its still a pain. as for unlocking one hub, well that would be a real pain to have to get out every time you came to a turn. id go with some type of limited slip in the front and with the spool in the rear youd be able to go anywhere.
hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #6
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I did the grinding mentioned in the article JavaTee posted. So I have front drive only if needed. But the surprise benefit I got from twin sticks is that the D300 is now easy to shift. I used to spend 5 minutes rocking it back and forth trying to get it out of 4wd. Once you see how it is built it all makes sense that it is a lot easier to shift with two independent sticks than one.
Unread 11-19-2009, 08:51 AM   #7
CJATE

on the d300, there are 2 rods, one for the front and one for the rear. A twin stick simply isolates the rods (different from most transfer cases)

said all that to say, I was having lots of trouble shifting my OEM shifter(bothrods) into low. no problem in with my twinstick, I think that something might not be lined up perfectly, and shifting one at a time seems to be no issue vs both at the same time.

I am locked, and it's so nice to be in rear 2low around trails (easy steering) and simply slid the lever forward before the obstacle,,, and can do it at a slow roll, so I don't even have to stop. (much less get out). best $120 I spent on mine.
35's, fenders cut
bad paint
leaks just about everything
CJATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 02:14 AM   #8
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Just how similar to the D300 is the 20? I'm borderline on whether to go with twins or not, and the F2HI is the one setting I can't get as of now. If I can get it this way, I may just be inclined to get the twins. I just wish it'd look stock - that's my other reason - I like the all stock look I have now...

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 10:25 AM   #9
crcj7
1986 CJ7 

i got mine form a dude on ebay its almost exactily the same as the curry one it dose shift easer then my stock one but the other thred goes over that
crcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.