Why are there no cold air intakes for a CJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Why are there no cold air intakes for a CJ?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 09-02-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
81CJUSMC
1981 CJ7 

Why are there no cold air intakes for a CJ?

It was always my understanding that the cold air intake systems that are offered in the aftermarket....such as K&N or Volant...are good for increasing horsepower. I have noticed that no one offers a cold air intake for the CJ... Why is this? Also, I have noticed a trend in the Quadratec or other Jeep parts catalogs that they are offering less and less for the CJ's. I know that my 81 is 29 years old now but there are still a Sh#@! ton of CJ's out there right?? I would figure that there is still a good market for accessories and the sort to be sold to guys like us?? I guess this is the point, where instead of being a consumer, you must become a skilled fabricator instead...On that note, has anyone fabricated a cold air intake for their CJ? If yes, then how and what parts were used. If you are not for a cold air intake system, why?

Unread 09-02-2010, 10:39 PM   #2
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

The OEM air cleaner system actually is one of the origional cold air intakes.

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2010, 11:54 PM   #3
CJ8Extreme
1983 CJ7 

I was about to say... didn't CJ's come with stock cold air Plus it would be hard to run true cold air on a jeep, unless you ran a snorkle. I never liked the idea or open air elements under the jeep hood anyway. I personally throw way to much mud up there to feel comfortable putting an open breather there. But hey, that's just me
CJ8Extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 02:30 AM   #4
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Most of those aftermarket "CAI" systems are actually 'hot air intakes'. Ever notice where they put the air filter, and where it gets it's air? The filter is mounted under the hood, where the engine draws in the HOT AIR that is produced from the air coming thru the radiator and the hot exhaust manifolds and the hot engine itself! Most factory air cleaner systems are true cold air systems, drawing the air in from places other than unsder the hood. The issue with most factory systems is that they are tuned to reduce the NVH from the engine. Ever hear a Honda before the 'CAI' and then after? you hear more noise from the engine. *Most* consumers do not want to hear that noise as they drive their cars around. Yes, they can be restrictive. Yes the car doesn't have that mean 'growl'. BUT - the average consumer (read majority) does not want that.. SO we hack the factory 'junk' and put this long aluminum tube (which conducts heat well) under the hood, clamp a fancy gauze filter on the end wherever it'll fit (in the hot underhood areas where the OEM housing was) and feel all that new power (it's in your mind!).

As for the lack of CJ stuff in the catalogs.. Think how thick those things would be if they included all of their parts they offer for every Jeep.. They'd kill many trees, pay out the wazoo for shipping/postage, all for vehicles that there is only a niche group for anymore. CJ's are not that popular anymore. Most of us have grown up with older vehicles and want these rattle traps. Most of 'them' have grown up in cushy minivans, and want cushy rides. Honestly. I love my '5, but I would love to have a new 4 door JK for taking my GF on vacations. We love the topless day trips, but our backs can't take more than a couple hours driving in those low back seats. Also the lack of MPG, since she is in college and I am still paying off debts from a previous marriage, a newer JK has got to be more efficient than that 1 barrel fuel dump they call a carburetor. Those catalogs are all about them showing off their latest and greatest mousetrap. Why clutter the pages for the niches? Just think - it's hard to find parts for your 80's CJ, what about those with the '2As and older Willy's like that? They're really scarce anymore, so finding parts is really hard. Even my 78 '5, finding a new replacement top is getting hard. Yeah, 4WDH has them, in any color as long as it is black.. They don't have enough demand for them, so why clutter their shelves with tops in 5 colors that they may only sell 2 of all year, when they need more shelving for the JK tops they sell 200 of a month? Supply and demand...

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 05:00 AM   #5
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Chet View Post
The OEM air cleaner system actually is one of the original cold air intakes.
That's why I always kept my OEM air cleaner assembly. It simply works the best in both form and function.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 05:43 AM   #6
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

The other reason is that the intake manifold is heated by the coolant. This is done to help keep the fuel in suspension on the carbed engine. So having a true cold air intake on a heated manifold is moot, if the engine has MPI then a cold air intake would make sense since the air charge would be slightly denser.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 06:42 AM   #7
84jeepjohn
1984 CJ7 

Search back a week or two. There was a post on one guy doing it with a tj kit. Granted he had the mpfi kit so it mounted right up at the throttle body
2005 Z71 Suburban with 1.5" rear spacers, and front leveled
84jeepjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 07:50 AM   #8
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Carbs tend to perform better with a plenum than a duct. A duct can cause an uneven flow of air as it bends.

Putting the duct directly on a carb will put more of the air on the side of the final bend.

So, while the OEM air cleaner had a cold air (as well as heated) duct, it was fed to a plenum that allowed the carb to pull the air evenly from all directions.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 08:53 AM   #9
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

Something else to consider-a cold air intake is more effective of a fuel injected vehicle. On a carbed engine the incoming air is somewhat cooled by the atomized fuel coming from the carb. EFI engines don't get this effect, they're drawing hot air all the way down to the intake ports. That's not to say that a carbed engine won't benefit from a cooler, denser intake of air (think Ram Air GTOs or cowl induction Chevelles) but the effect won't be as great.
colojeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 10:50 AM   #10
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81CJUSMC View Post
Why is this? Also, I have noticed a trend in the Quadratec or other Jeep parts catalogs that they are offering less and less for the CJ's. I know that my 81 is 29 years old now but there are still a Sh#@! ton of CJ's out there right??
Relative to the numbers of TJs, JK's, etc out there on the road there really aren't that many CJ's. Granted we have a concentrated number of CJ's on this board and others, but it's a very small percentage of what's on the road.

It's a simple matter of supply and demand and potential profit margin.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #11
Dustlander
1979 CJ7 

it is kinda funny when you think about it, going by the numbers of cjs on here u would think u would see one every 5 min but really i see very very few
Dustlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #12
indiandog
1998 ZJ 

were can you buy some of that rectangle intake duct
indiandog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 01:09 PM   #13
CJ8Extreme
1983 CJ7 

Fresh Air Intake Hose | 1983 Jeep CJ7 6 Cylinders C 4.2L 2BL | AutoZone.com

They are made by Motormite and are called freash air intake hoses. The part # at autozone is 96050 and will run around 8 dollars I believe.
CJ8Extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 01:10 PM   #14
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84jeepjohn View Post
Search back a week or two. There was a post on one guy doing it with a tj kit. Granted he had the mpfi kit so it mounted right up at the throttle body
Yup, I was forced to using a TJ kit - granted, I'm running a 4.0, but it it was all about the placement under the hood. I wanted it on the passenger side fender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #15
81CJUSMC
1981 CJ7 

Yeah, you guys really bring up some good points. I didn't realize that the OEM air cleaner system was truly the original "CAI"...so to speak. Real good point on the placement of the filters in the engine compartment. Its funny how you tend to let the marketing of these products cloud your thinking and of what the product really is. Another question just kinda popped into my head after reading the posts too...if the OEM is such a good option to keep, why is it that you see a lot of carbs with little rectangular filters mounted directly on top, in a lot of the pictures in a lot of the posts on here? I can imagine the scenario of an aftermarket carb being placed on the engine and the OEM air cleaner system not fitting to it...but other than that, having those doesn't make a lot of sense after reading the aforementioned posts...What is your take on it?

Another side note or question if you will....I notice that, it seems, 99% of the 258's our there do not have the pulsed air...Mine is an 81...and it has the little "compressor" mounted just above the Power Steering Resevoir...and it is connected to a "manifold" of sorts that feeds down into the exhaust manifold. I think its the exhaust manifold...Now I have to go look. Yup, its the exhaust manifold alright...When I purchased my replacement exhaust manifold, it came with the mounting holes pre-drilled and has plugs in them. What is the repurcussion of not putting this pulsed air back onto the system? I see plenty with out it...It is currently on and I don't see the necessity to remove it since it was manufactured that way, unless someone tells me differently...

Also, grant it, it does seem as though there are a ton of CJ's out there, certainly because of this forum. Yes, you may see one sporadically here and there on the street. So reasoning it out, there are not a lot of these left any more, but you would think that they would do an annual catalog with model specific parts for the older Jeeps just because we have become a niche market. Heck, if nothing more, they could do a better job on these websites to cater to the models. I don't know how many times I have keyed in my Make, Model, and Year...only to be hit with a barage of parts that don't go to my Jeep. It seems as though there is more hunting on the sites than need be. Just my two cents on that one...

Last edited by 81CJUSMC; 09-03-2010 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: Added text...
81CJUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.