Why the spacers to lift my T-5? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Why the spacers to lift my T-5?

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
kchadtho
1983 CJ7 

Why the spacers to lift my T-5?

I haven't had my CJ7 long before a clutch problem. When pulling the transmission, I found 1" tall spacers (hard plastic structured cylinders... not rubber) located between the stock transmission mount and the transmission itself. The skid plate is factory and is not dropped. The Jeep has a 4" leaf suspension lift and no body lift. While I certainly might not understand driveline geometry, common sense seems to say that lifting the tranny makes my drive shaft angle worse (and I already have some vibration). Then I thought that maybe the motor mounts are lifting the motor some?? I've never heard of that, but I did measure the rubber part of the motor mount... just a bit over 1-3/4" thick. Anyway, searches in this forum regarding spacers to lift a transmission didn't pan out. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

kchadtho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

If you are thinking the transmission should be bolted directly to the skid plate, you're mistaken. Sounds like someone replaced the stock rubber transmission mount with a poly one. Got a picture of it? That will clear things up.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Just re-read your post. So the stock rubber mount and torque arm is still there and the spacers are between that and the tranny? Definitely wierd. Could be someone raised the tranny to give more clearance between the back of the valve cover and the firewall. But thats certainly an odd way to do it.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
kchadtho
1983 CJ7 

Your second read is correct... stock transmission mount and torque arm, but between that and the tranny are the 1" spacers. Other than possibly closing the gap between the valve cover and the firewall, wouldn't removing the spacers actually improve my drive shaft angle? My purpose for asking is mainly vibration related. Although the vibration isn't all that bad, if the spacers aren't helping me any, I'd just as soon toss them. I just don't have the confidence to do so without asking some more experienced guys.
Unread 03-08-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
travisrda
1984 CJ7 

never heard of having spacers there, usually if you add a lift then you need to drop the transmission to improve the driveline angle. What are the spacers shaped like? How many are there? if they are round maybe you could re-use them to put between your cross-member and the frame to drop the tranny more, that is if you are still having driveline vibration issues.
travisrda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
scrapman
1984 CJ7 

The only reason I could think of to do that would be if the valve cover was hitting the fire wall causing problems. I have seen this happen when people drop their skid plate to help driveline vibrations, but never heard of anyone lifting the transmission.

Just a shot in the dark.
scrapman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Check to see if there is a one inch body lift. The po might have raised it the keep the shifter/ tub/ boot relationship like stock

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
shadoow
1985 CJ7 

Is it possible the support plate is not in the correct position? Are the spacers located in a 'valley' area of the support plate - ie if the torque arm was over a high area of the support plate instead of a valley the spacers wouldn't be needed??
shadoow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2013, 05:49 PM   #9
kchadtho
1983 CJ7 

thanks everyone for weighing in...

On the question regarding a body lift, the bushings on top of the frame mounting pads are only about 3/4" tall. Just looking at pictures of body lift kits, I'd say my Jeep doesn't have a body lift.

Shadoow, you are probably onto something. I don't guess I know what the correct skid plate location is. But, definitely, of the three "steps" in the plate, it was mounted on the lowest (to the ground) step. Of the three bolt hole locations on each side of the skid plate, there were only two bolts installed on either side... and the third hole didn't really line up. So, does anyone know which "step" the transmission should be mounted on?

Tags
driveline , lift , transmission mount

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.