Why was it snowing inside my CJ5? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Why was it snowing inside my CJ5?

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
HeathFinnie
1976 CJ5 

Why was it snowing inside my CJ5?

So I had replaced the windshield seal and put a new soft top on it. Took it for a small ride down the street a few weeks ago when it was snowing and some of the snow was appearing inside. All I can assume is that it was somehow coming in through the cowl and up the defroster vents... I'm also assuming that's not normal. How can I fix that?

HeathFinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 08:03 AM   #2
row684
1984 CJ7 

That would be a long way for it to travel... More likely you have a gap somewhere around your doors.
row684 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2013, 12:01 AM   #3
pipelinerjeep

mine did that too turned out it was coming thru the old/rotted weatherstriping inbetween hardtop and winshield
pipelinerjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 08:08 AM   #4
HeathFinnie
1976 CJ5 

Hmmm, thanks for that. Probably right on that
Unread 02-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
CJ7VFR

Check to see if your cowl seal is actually making contact with the body of the Jeep and
is attached tightly to the bottom of the windshield frame.

Sometimes, the cowl seals can shrink some, and they don't actually get compressed between
the Jeep body and the windshield frame, causing a very skinny gap. Because the seal is
attached to the windshield frame, the gap is going to be at the body of the Jeep.

It doesn't have to be a very big gap to let stuff get through. The gap can be small enough
that you might not have seen it when the seal was installed.

When you are driving, there is the full force of the air hitting your Jeep at the windshield, and
that force will drive rain, snow, dirt, you name it, into your Jeep.

I won't tell you how I know this!

If you have a gap you can try three things.

You can try to pivot the windshield frame back just
a bit more to help compress the seal. You have to be careful, as you don't want to pivot
the windshield frame back too far, or the doors for your soft top won't fit against the
windshield frame right.

Another thing you can try is to get some sealant and apply it to the bottom of the cowl
seal, and then when you pivot the windshield frame into place, it will help make better
contact between the Jeep body and windshield frame. The downside to this is that
it becomes permanent, and if you flip the windshield down again, you might tear the
cowl seal.

The third thing is that you may need a new cowl seal that is thicker. Some makes
are better than others, and are thicker than others. This is the last resort attempt,
as it expensive.

I hope you figure it out soon, and most of all enjoy your Jeep!!

Jim
CJ7VFR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Put Rain-X on the inside of the windshield.... I usually end up with just as much inside as outside...

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathFinnie View Post
So I had replaced the windshield seal and put a new soft top on it. Took it for a small ride down the street a few weeks ago when it was snowing and some of the snow was appearing inside. All I can assume is that it was somehow coming in through the cowl and up the defroster vents... I'm also assuming that's not normal. How can I fix that?
Last night I lay in my bed looking up at the stars, then I said to myself, “where the heck is my ceiling”?
Unread 03-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
HeathFinnie
1976 CJ5 

Thanks for the info. I did replace the windshield seal so I have a feeling the problem most likely is the old cowl seal when I reattached the windshield. I happen to have a spare new cowl seal so I will just replace it.
Unread 03-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #9
Uncledale
1966 CJ5 

Loosen your top... How far to the rear did your wingshield move once the top was still attached yet loose?
Did that help close the gap under the windshield?
Uncledale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.