Why do I need cowl? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Why do I need cowl?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 10-31-2012, 08:53 PM   #31
vinnyabs
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyray2929
I put a scoop on mine...
Doesn't keep ALL the water out but doesn't let alot in.
Like the looks of that! What brand and where did you get it?

Unread 10-31-2012, 09:32 PM   #32
Crazyray2929
1981 CJ7 

I think it was a Rugged Ridge...(sorry I have short term memory loss)
I gave about $25 on buyitnowbay...
It's ABS plastic not metal but was better than I expected...
Fit was perfect.
Unread 10-31-2012, 10:46 PM   #33
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Another reason to run a cowl is to draw in dry air in the winter otherwise the windows not heated by the defrosters tend to fog up after a little while. Otherwise you are recirculating moist air inside the cab and when the moist air hits the cold windows, the water will collect on the cold surface.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Does the air you speak of have to pass through the heater box to become dry air, or are you talking about just letting in some outside air through the passenger side lower vent?

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 10:46 PM   #34
dunebum
1974 CJ5 

I removed mine and built an aluminum one to replace it .so you dont need one .But i removed the winshield also to lose wiegh so you dont need one of those either.
dunebum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 07:40 AM   #35
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunebum View Post
I removed mine and built an aluminum one to replace it .so you dont need one .But i removed the winshield also to lose wiegh so you dont need one of those either.
I take it that you've done the heater blower motor upgrade ...

Rich

Unread 11-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #36
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixcj View Post
Does the air you speak of have to pass through the heater box to become dry air, or are you talking about just letting in some outside air through the passenger side lower vent?

Rich
Air outside is usually pretty dry in the winter.
Heating it dries it further.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #37
fourbtgait
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk

Once the temperature drops below freezing, the air starts becoming drier, even to the point it can be to cold to snow. In Mintana I have seen ice on the roads disappear during the day when it is below zero. Just like your ice cubes shrink in a freezer.
T-5
fourbtgait is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #38
NOCHEEPGAS
1980 CJ5 

Well you definitely need a cowl! It gives your windshield a place to bolt to, and it nicely lines up the hood and fenders too. What you don't need is a cowl vent!
NOCHEEPGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 11:09 PM   #39
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

John Strenk says...

"Another reason to run a cowl is to draw in dry air in the winter otherwise the windows not heated by the defrosters tend to fog up after a little while. Otherwise you are recirculating moist air inside the cab and when the moist air hits the cold windows, the water will collect on the cold surface."

Quote:

Rich
Quote:
So..if all I would need is some of the cold, dry winter air to help with the defrosters, could I just open a window, a little?

I'm just trying to cover all my bases without having to have a cowl vent cutout in the 'glass tub. There's not one there, now.

Rich

Unread 11-03-2012, 01:03 AM   #40
vinnyabs
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOCHEEPGAS
Well you definitely need a cowl! It gives your windshield a place to bolt to, and it nicely lines up the hood and fenders too. What you don't need is a cowl vent!
Touché!
Unread 11-03-2012, 03:27 AM   #41
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
John Strenk says...

"Another reason to run a cowl is to draw in dry air in the winter otherwise the windows not heated by the defrosters tend to fog up after a little while. Otherwise you are recirculating moist air inside the cab and when the moist air hits the cold windows, the water will collect on the cold surface."

So..if all I would need is some of the cold, dry winter air to help with the defrosters, could I just open a window, a little?

I'm just trying to cover all my bases without having to have a cowl vent cutout in the 'glass tub. There's not one there, now.

Rich
I've done that when I'm plowing snow, it does help when all the windows fog up. Even dry cold air seem to remove the the foggyness quicker than waiting for the whole car to warm up. But at higher speeds it tends to get a little uncomfortable.

I just realized I drive all my cars with the window cracked open a little. It just seems to stuffy for me if I don't maybe it's because I drove my drafty CJ for so long.

I had to modify my cowl vent when I converted over to a 84 Heater system. Did not enjoy it one bit becuase you have to be right on the money to get everything lined up. There are no flexable hoses to connect the cowl vent to the heater box. Fortunatly mistakes with fiberglass are easy to fix.
Unread 11-03-2012, 09:17 AM   #42
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Thanks, John...

I'm going to chance NOT putting in the cowl vent. I have rebuilt my heater box, with a Blazer blower motor, and that thing puts out some serious hot air. I think I'll be OK.

If not, I'll go onto "Plan B".

Rich

Unread 01-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #43
vinnyabs
1983 CJ7 

image-3820942110.jpg

A little cut n grind, prime n paint, and rtv and my leaky fresh air duct is healed!
image-257455064.jpg  
Unread 01-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #44
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Look nice.

It would of been cool if you put a hinge on it with a rubber seal and it could pop up when you need some fresh air ajnd closed it would keep the water out....
Unread 01-30-2013, 10:50 AM   #45
DYontheForum
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Look nice.

It would of been cool if you put a hinge on it with a rubber seal and it could pop up when you need some fresh air ajnd closed it would keep the water out....
It would be even cooler if it could be down with an electric servo so.
DYontheForum is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.