Why do I need cowl? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Why do I need cowl?

Steinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 10-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #16
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
Its a Jeep. They leak. Get over it.
Some of us try to fix some of the factory defects. If you want to live with all of them that's your business.

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #17
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

30 years old and mine has never leaked. I've never messes with it either.

My windshield frame leaks at the cowling, but that's why they put drain holes in the floor.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 06:16 AM   #18
jammer1

That's why my jeep runs with a bikini top. But I like driving without water running down the dash onto my leg. For years I never could figure it out till someone posted the problem in a tread like this one. Hopefully this will help out another jeeper. Most of us like to better our jeeps. It's a never ending quest. Some times the journey is more fun (but frustrating) then the destination.
jammer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 06:36 AM   #19
Oxmarqt
1977 CJ7 

I sealed mine up when I installed an aftermarket heater core/blower motor assembly. Works great. 138* out of the defroster vent with 209* engine temp.

What I wanted to do and do not have the skill was.....turn the cowl vent into a hinged vent like some street rods have. Move a lever and it opens to let in fresh air in the summer. Move the same lever to close it up in the cold and the rain. Would be totally awesome. I just have no idea how to do it.

Paul
Oxmarqt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #20
79jeepincj7
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer1 View Post
That's why my jeep runs with a bikini top. But I like driving without water running down the dash onto my leg. For years I never could figure it out till someone posted the problem in a tread like this one. Hopefully this will help out another jeeper. Most of us like to better our jeeps. It's a never ending quest. Some times the journey is more fun (but frustrating) then the destination.
That you Jeep Hammer?

I too removed my heat etc and sealed up my cowl vent with no issues.

The VIN says its a 79 CJ
79jeepincj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #21
Orlie
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Most folks don't need a cowl. They can get their milk and beef at the supermarket faster.
Now thats funny.

I plan on sealing my air intake cowl. This weekend I will cut out a piece of steel and weld in a patch, that way I know it will not leak. I have no heater but need to install one, thinking about the mojave heater.

Orlando
Orlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #22
vinnyabs
1983 CJ7 

I don't know how I weld. Did I just go to confession? Is there a quality way to do it and not cause standing moisture at the site?
Unread 10-30-2012, 07:23 AM   #23
Orlie
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyabs View Post
I don't know how I weld. Did I just go to confession? Is there a quality way to do it and not cause standing moisture at the site?
The link below is from Blue torch fab, it is a an aluminum cover to seal the cowl. Best part is (if you can't weld) no welding.

http://www.bluetorchfab.com/Product/...owl-Cover.aspx

Orlie
Orlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #24
jammer1

That is a great idea, it's nice and stiff so it should hold a good seal.
Unread 10-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #25
mminorhsd
1979 CJ7 

uh....not to be a smart a$$, but if you have no top or doors, why are you worried about the cowl vent leaking????

1979 CJ 7, 258 cubic inch restoration project.
mminorhsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 01:17 AM   #26
vinnyabs
1983 CJ7 

I don't mind water in the tub. But behind the dash all over my wires is not cool. But I didn't even think of the way that sounded!!
Unread 10-31-2012, 03:23 AM   #27
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Another reason to run a cowl is to draw in dry air in the winter otherwise the windows not heated by the defrosters tend to fog up after a little while. Otherwise you are recirculating moist air inside the cab and when the moist air hits the cold windows, the water will collect on the cold surface.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 01:24 PM   #28
Crazyray2929
1981 CJ7 

I put a scoop on mine...
Doesn't keep ALL the water out but doesn't let alot in.
017.jpg  
Unread 10-31-2012, 06:55 PM   #29
jammer1

The windows fogging up happens with the wet weather we are having now. That's the downside of removing the cowl. That's why I want to run a vent system. I just haven't had the time to do it. In winter, I don't really get much fogging the windshield. I usually get it on the side windows.
Unread 10-31-2012, 08:18 PM   #30
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
...The factory assembly line workers forgot to put the seal on the duct work and after several more trips back to the dealer, they added it and then removed all the clear caulking they had used to remedy the problem...
My grandfather was a Chevy dealer for many years. He said that in the late 1970's, they'd receive a truck load of new vehicles and half of them would need repairs before they could even be put on the lot for sale. The problems included body molding falling off and seats loose and/or crooked. That was one reason he finally called it quits and shut down the dealership.

My mom had a 1983 Chevy Caprice station wagon and in the summer after the car had sat in the sun for a couple of hours, this black goo would drip down onto the rear windows inside.

Your missing seal isn't surprising given the state of the auto industry in those days.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.