Why do I need cowl? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Why do I need cowl?

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 10-27-2012, 05:36 AM   #1
vinnyabs
1983 CJ7 

Why do I need cowl?

I live in fla and do not need heat or A/c. Not rubbing it it but if my cowl is just a water source is there any reason I shouldn't seal it up?

Unread 10-27-2012, 06:51 AM   #2
davbytrace
1979 CJ7 

Yep. Remove the ductwork. Seal it up.
davbytrace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2012, 09:47 AM   #3
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

Or take that same time and energy and fix the leak..... Just saying

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon
only in a jeep cj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #4
jurgen24
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by only in a jeep cj View Post
Or take that same time and energy and fix the leak..... Just saying
Easier said than done :-; After sealing in about 5 spots, I'm about 90% leak free.
jurgen24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
Matt80cj
1980 CJ7 

my fiberglass tub didn't come with a cowl vent. (PO didn't cut it in) I don't seem to have any trouble with it. Its not noticably hot in the cab and the heater works fine in the cold season.
Matt80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
rixcj
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt80cj View Post
my fiberglass tub didn't come with a cowl vent. (PO didn't cut it in) I don't seem to have any trouble with it. Its not noticably hot in the cab and the heater works fine in the cold season.
I'm glad to know this. I'm restoring a used 'glass tub, and the PO also didn't cut the vent hole in the cowl. I don't want to, either. I wasn't sure if it would affect the heat and defroster operations. I don't care about fresh air coming in the bottom right side (passenger's side) vent.

What else would be affected by NOT having that cutout?

Rich

There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".
rixcj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
jammer1

I sealed up mine so I can reheat the air in the cab in the winter. It works, but when it rains and theirs no fresh air coming in, the windows fog up. The cab also gets warm when you have the doors on when its raining. This winter, I'm going to be looking to make a vent to bring in cool air or check into a a/c unit. Sealing it up does keep you dry though.
jammer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #8
vinnyabs
1983 CJ7 

With no top or doors, I get all the fresh air input possible. So then what or how did you guys use and lessons you learned from doin it?
Unread 10-28-2012, 08:59 AM   #9
jammer1

With the chevy blower and a windbreaker curtain I get nice and warm in winter. I just have a problem with the side windows and the windshield fogging up. I thought about running a air vent from the front grill, just never got around to it. It is nice having dry feet and no water inside and the heater works better in the winter.
Unread 10-28-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

If you guys are getting wet feet, you need to seal the duct work better. Most leaks occur where the duct attaches to the cowl and that seal that use to be there is no longer available anywhere. Foam seal will not work either as you need to make it watertight. Use butyl rubber strips from 3M to seal the heater assembly to the cowl and also use it inside the duct work to seal the original seams where the factory assembled the pieces together. Most CJ's are close to being or are over 30 years old and need new weather stripping and seals that have otherwise dried out from exposure.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #11
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith460 View Post
If you guys are getting wet feet, you need to seal the duct work better. Most leaks occur where the duct attaches to the cowl and that seal that use to be there is no longer available anywhere. Foam seal will not work either as you need to make it watertight. Use butyl rubber strips from 3M to seal the heater assembly to the cowl and also use it inside the duct work to seal the original seams where the factory assembled the pieces together. Most CJ's are close to being or are over 30 years old and need new weather stripping and seals that have otherwise dried out from exposure.
Keith,

Thank you for that explanation. I have a leak at my feet. I thought it was coming from the seal between the cowl and windshield, but replacing that seal didn't fix the problem.

The heater assembly and ductwork has never been out of my CJ. After reading your post, now I know where to look next.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2012, 11:32 AM   #12
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Most folks don't need a cowl. They can get their milk and beef at the supermarket faster.
Renegade82 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #13
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Keith,

Thank you for that explanation. I have a leak at my feet. I thought it was coming from the seal between the cowl and windshield, but replacing that seal didn't fix the problem.

The heater assembly and ductwork has never been out of my CJ. After reading your post, now I know where to look next.

Matt
I can remember my wife's brand new 1984 CJ-7 having leaks every time it rained. Those A-holes at the dealer used clear calking to seal just about everywhere except where it was leaking. I think she took it back to them 3-4 times before I decided to take matters into my own hands. They must have used 3 tubes of silicone caulk all around the cowl, roll bar mounts on the floor, etc. I found the problem using a garden hose to spray water at the cowl opening in the tub. The factory assembly line workers forgot to put the seal on the duct work and after several more trips back to the dealer, they added it and then removed all the clear caulking they had used to remedy the problem.

It is especially important to make sure the sealant is around the screw holes and threads of the screws so water does not drip on your feet.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #14
jammer1

Another problem you can have (with a fiberglass tub) is the part of the cowl between the windshield hinges where the windshield gasket sits is not always straight. If you drop the windshield and put a straight edge along the top, it can drop as much as a eight of a inch. Also the approx 2.5 inch width can have this by the defrost holes. Mine was one eighth of a inch off and would leak down the defrost and run down the dash. When I rebuilt the cj7, I redid that section to make it straight which stopped the leak. I found out about it from a tread on this form years ago.
Unread 10-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #15
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Its a Jeep. They leak. Get over it.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.