Who used synthetic in their CJs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Who used synthetic in their CJs?

Thursday Savings BlastIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.com

Unread 11-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Who used synthetic in their CJs?

Hey guys,

This is not a debate on synthetic vs conventional. I am just curious as to who of you use synthetic in their 258s.

As in my other thread i am having dry start issues. I was told to try t6 rotella 5w-40 which is full synthetc. Or should I use rotella 10w-30 blend? Currently using rotella 15w-40 with wix filter, but its getting cold out.

Along with switching to a thinner oil I will also be changing the oil bypass assembly, thanks to all the help from 86cj74.2L.

Just curious who has used this or other synthetic oils and your thoughts on it.

I have a 258 with 6k on it.

Thanks

kov

kovic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Change the by-pass setup before you mess with the oil 'weight'.

LG
Unread 11-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
strvger01
1966 CJ5 

yes, i use synthetics in my jeeps, but not in the engines. axles, tranny, transfer case get filled with synthetic. engines get semi-synthetic. gets real cold here in winter and i think the full synthetic in the drivetrain is advantageous.
but that's just me.
Unread 11-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
wellmax
1984 CJ7 

I had a new long block installed in my 1984 jeep,
I was running Valvoline 10w30 oil, about 6 K miles after the engine install, it developed a sticky valve.

the only thing that ever solved the sticky valve problem was changing the oil to full synthetic oil, but from time to time you could hear the valve stick, but it was a 98%+ improvement.

to stop all the sticky valve problems: at each oil change I add 1/2 qt of marvel mystery oil to the fuel tank and add 1/2 qt mavel mystery oil to the crankcase oil.

the combination of full synthetic oil and mmo solved the stick valve problem

from my results: the lube quality of full synthetic oil is far superior to normal dino oil
however, most old jeep engines do not need that quality of oil, also an older engine may have a lot of gunk built up inside the engine and the synthetic oil has a very good cleaning package, this can break down the gunk and stop up oil lines.

so I would only use synthetic oil in a new or newly rebuilt engine,
wellmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
spottedfrog
1979 CJ5 

I am swapping in a newly rebuilt 258, with comp cam. The lack of oils containing ZDDP any more has me thinking about the synthetics. What are the "recommended" synthetics for our engines?
spottedfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #6
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spottedfrog View Post
I am swapping in a newly rebuilt 258, with comp cam. The lack of oils containing ZDDP any more has me thinking about the synthetics. What are the "recommended" synthetics for our engines?
Do what your engine builder sez for break-in oil and after.
LG
Unread 11-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Yea, dont break in with synthetic, honestly I would use conventional up until 5k or so, some say thats how long it takes to fully break in. Im at 6k so I am trying to figure out my options and hear others experiences.

kov
kovic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
WSS
1972 CJ5 

When I run syn in my diffs, I have a "murphy's law" situation. It seems I have to get in there for one reason or another. I do run it in all that I can as I change out. Our lab reports from our other vehicles always come back with good results, even in the engines. It's not a cure for anything, just supposed to make things more slippery.

WSS
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.