Who sells a good replacement spring?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Who sells a good replacement spring??

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 04-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #1
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Who sells a good replacement spring??

My next big project is going to be replacing all four worn out springs. After seeing what happens with a broken main leaf on my trailer, the thought of one breaking on the Jeep going down the highway has me worried about their age.

The only replacement springs I seem to find are Crown, and they have mixed reviews.

Any thoughts on having them made locally?? Can a local shops prices possibly compare?? There's a spring shop about an hour away from me where I had my U-bolts made, I'm going to call and get a price. Need some other prices from retailers to compare to.

Unread 04-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
iluvcowjuice
1979 CJ7 

Had crown springs, they rode awful for the first few days, then within the first week the front ones bent so it was worse. Didn't even take them off road. Replaced them with bds springs and couldn't be happier. I don't know if they make stock height springs, but I would never get crown springs again.
iluvcowjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #3
Tigerjeep79

1979 CJ7 

Rancho makes 1" lift springs. That might be the way to go.
Tigerjeep79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #4
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

That's where I'm having so much trouble. Everybody and their cousin makes lift springs, but stock replacements seem to be few and far between.

Thanks for the report on the Crown springs, it seems like a pattern with them.

Custom built ones may be the way to go, even if they cost a little more. If it's even possible have them made, I have never looked into it before.

I actually love the ride of the springs now, it's just with a lot of years and miles, I don't trust them. Some of the smaller leafs are rust pitted pretty bad.
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #5
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
That's where I'm having so much trouble. Everybody and their cousin makes lift springs, but stock replacements seem to be few and far between.

Thanks for the report on the Crown springs, it seems like a pattern with them.

Custom built ones may be the way to go, even if they cost a little more. If it's even possible have them made, I have never looked into it before.
There's no way you can have stock springs and run 35" tires as per your profile. Your 35's would be in the fenders with even bump you hit.

Yes, you can have a spring shop build you a set of stock springs. Typically they can be very competitive with pricing.
'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/trapshooters-401-build-1338277/[/url]
Trapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapshooter View Post
There's no way you can have stock springs and run 35" tires as per your profile. Your 35's would be in the fenders with even bump you hit.

Yes, you can have a spring shop build you a set of stock springs. Typically they can be very competitive with pricing.
I have a SOA.

That's what I thought with the pricing. Especially with $100 or so shipping charge on springs.
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
JrTjK
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvcowjuice View Post
Had crown springs, they rode awful for the first few days, then within the first week the front ones bent so it was worse. Didn't even take them off road. Replaced them with bds springs and couldn't be happier. I don't know if they make stock height springs, but I would never get crown springs again.
were they the light 'standard duty' ones or the heavy duty ones? out of the store I run, I only sell the hd ones, stock height, but 7 leafs front 9 leaf rear, and have never had a bad review.
JrTjK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #8
Trapshooter
1986 CJ7 

[QUOTE=skizriz;13422150]I have a SOA.

QUOTE]

That explains a lot.......I get it now
'86 CJ7, 258, Carter BBD, Nutter'ed, TeamRush'ed, T-18, Twin Sticked Dana 300, D30 Frt-Pwr Lok L/S-4.10, AMC 20 Rear-Mosers-Detroit Locker-4.10, 2.5 BDS Lift, 1" Body Lift, 33" Wild Country M/Ts, Black Spoke wheels

'45 CJ2A, L134 Go Devil, T-90 Tranny, Warn O/D, T-18 T-Case, Dana 25 Frt, Dana 41 Rear, 531st CJ made

My 401 build: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/trapshooters-401-build-1338277/[/url]
Trapshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:34 PM   #9
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrTjK View Post
were they the light 'standard duty' ones or the heavy duty ones? out of the store I run, I only sell the hd ones, stock height, but 7 leafs front 9 leaf rear, and have never had a bad review.
What would they be like on a CJ-7 with all fiberglass, no top, and kept very light weight?
I only have 4 or 5 leafs now. I don't plan on any heavy bumpers or winches that will add weight.

I don't want a spine jarring ride, that's why I went SOA instead of lift springs when I built it. I wanted to keep the ride as it already was.
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
JrTjK
1985 CJ7 

The only person I know of personally running them in that setup removed a leaf from each pack (maybe one full length and one small iirc) and he now loves them. Removed them for the height, not harshness due to SOA. He's not on this forum but is on a few others if you wanted, I'd gladly send you his contact info since he's a buddy of mine, and he loves talking about his Jeep!
JrTjK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #11
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
I'd gladly send you his contact info since he's a buddy of mine, and he loves talking about his Jeep!
Ha. Don't we all. Thanks for the offer. I'm just trying to cover the basics. I know all about buying lift springs, but there isn't much info about getting some good stock replacements.

The good thing is I'm in no hurry. They aren't broke, just in the back of my mind while going down the highway at 65 mph.
Unread 04-16-2012, 08:55 PM   #12
papa355
1977 CJ7 

I asked the spring shop we use at work the very question you just asked. (can he custom make me springs for my cj ?) He told me he can custom make any spring I want for any vehicle. I just need to give him a few measurements. (eye to eye measurement, and how thick a spring I want, how many springs, or how much lift from stock set up. They have specs on stock springs and build you whatever you want from there) They been in business for 50+ years, they have yet to disappointment us on any spring job yet.

So yes a good, experienced shop can do whatever you want.

"I wouldn't have road rage, If you knew how to drive...."
papa355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #13
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

while your at it, consider switching to yj springs up front. but check out alcan, they make some nice springs.
'79 CJ7 stock, 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_304_cj7 View Post
I used Marvel once before I took my Jeep out on the trails. I didn't get stuck all weekend so I guess it works.
SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #14
iluvcowjuice
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
They were the Heavy Duty. I intended to use them with my snow plow so I figured I should get the stronger ones, but they didn't last long enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizriz View Post
What would they be like on a CJ-7 with all fiberglass, no top, and kept very light weight?
I only have 4 or 5 leafs now. I don't plan on any heavy bumpers or winches that will add weight.

I don't want a spine jarring ride, that's why I went SOA instead of lift springs when I built it. I wanted to keep the ride as it already was.
I have full fiberglass with a v8 and large bumpers, no hard top or spare and it was a stiff ride for me, but with that very well could have been my shocks.
iluvcowjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #15
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

I talked to a guy I work with today. He had a set made years ago from the mentioned shop for his lifted F150. Couldn't remember what he paid though. He told me they took years of abuse and never showed any signs of trouble.

When the time comes, I think I'll support my local brick and morter shop.

Thanks for all of the advice. Beers all around.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.