who is running lockers? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > who is running lockers?

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearXHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140

Unread 02-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #16
big_o_tom
1978 CJ7 

I have found it best to leave the both hubs locked in the snow, with one hub locked it wants to pull eractically to the side thats locked. Ive talked to few guys are into rock crawling and dont like the detroits at all because they will dissengage at times. They said that they run spools or "lincoln lockers". One of the fellas even drove on the street some with a spooled rear end, he sad it wasnt that much different than a detroit on the street. I guess if I get a selectable for the front it will be an ox because theirs know one around here that can install the other kinds.

big_o_tom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #17
60scrambler
1982 CJ8 

PowerTrax front and rear. Dana 30 up front, AMC 20 rear. No issues.
60scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #18
Frenimy
1981 CJ7 

Same as 60scrambler and I must say that they are very impressive offroad but do give a few clunks when turning on the road but no real issues.
Unread 02-27-2013, 04:29 PM   #19
CSP

I've been running ARBs since 1998. I have not had one problem with airlines leaking, solenoids failing (I use a manual air switch rather than electric solenoids), or any other problems with them at all. My on-board air is based on a York compressor, which is also bulletproof.

My CJ5 has an ARB in the front axle and the rear has a spool. I'm currently considering a Detroit to replace the spool. It's off-road only, except when we go to Moab we will drive into/around town. Prior to the current suspension/drivetrain setup I had an ARB in the rear axle and a Truetrac in front. I loved the combination. I had another CJ5 a few years ago with ARBs front and rear.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #20
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Have ARB front and rear. In over seven years haven't been stuck once in the garage:
Unread 02-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #21
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

CSP,

I'm glad you finally chimed in on this one.

Any thoughts on the Ox selectable? I've read very few negatives about it. I like the idea of a mechanically operated cable to engage it. I think you can also buy a screw in tool that will engage/disengage it, if the cable breaks.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #22
kjonesie
1983 CJ7 

Auburn Ected Max front and rear with Dana 44's front and rear. They lock up tight without the noise of a compressor, leaking hoses and bad O rings
kjonesie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #23
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

ARB for the win.

Plain and simple it's stronger than any electric ones on the market. No cable issues like OX either. The electric vs air is the old debate and the locker itself is designed better than electric ones. Electric takes up to 180 degree spin of it to actually engage and a ARB takes less than half that. This alone is a big enough advantage for me. My other concern is the electric lockers have a huge electromagnet in their and once activated I feel like metal shavings will all attract to itself. Maybe it's no concern but it bothers me.

I've been churning through tons of mud and never had an issue with the air line. My OBA kit is Viair which I've setup to run the locker and air tools. I'm running a front locker only and once money permits my 14 bolt will get one as well. It doesn't take much air to engage and keep it operating for the ARB. My 2.5 gallon tank can turn on and off my locker like 20 times before it needs to replenish. Probably even more but I haven't counted.

I went with ARB and didn't buy the air kit till later. I ran it as a open diff for months before adding my air kit. Glad i did and no regrets. All this nonsense of O-ring issues I haven't seen or heard much of in years. In their early days yes it was a concern but if you look at all the hardcore guys on 50+" tires, they are welded, ARB, or Detroit. None I've seen use electric.
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #24
roadhog304
1973 CJ5 

I am running a Detroit in the rear and a trutrac in the front. You have to pay attention with the Detroit in the rear as mine likes to torque steer if I get on it really hard but other than that i have had no problems. I can handle the driving quirks for the trade off in reliability and bulletproofness it offers.
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:55 PM   #25
kjonesie
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nshefbuch View Post
ARB for the win.

Plain and simple it's stronger than any electric ones on the market. No cable issues like OX either. The electric vs air is the old debate and the locker itself is designed better than electric ones. Electric takes up to 180 degree spin of it to actually engage and a ARB takes less than half that. This alone is a big enough advantage for me. My other concern is the electric lockers have a huge electromagnet in their and once activated I feel like metal shavings will all attract to itself. Maybe it's no concern but it bothers me.

I've been churning through tons of mud and never had an issue with the air line. My OBA kit is Viair which I've setup to run the locker and air tools. I'm running a front locker only and once money permits my 14 bolt will get one as well. It doesn't take much air to engage and keep it operating for the ARB. My 2.5 gallon tank can turn on and off my locker like 20 times before it needs to replenish. Probably even more but I haven't counted.

I went with ARB and didn't buy the air kit till later. I ran it as a open diff for months before adding my air kit. Glad i did and no regrets. All this nonsense of O-ring issues I haven't seen or heard much of in years. In their early days yes it was a concern but if you look at all the hardcore guys on 50+" tires, they are welded, ARB, or Detroit. None I've seen use electric.
Dude, chill out. This is my experience with ARB's. I don't have, and never plan on running 50" tires. The Auburn is also a limited slip when not engaged. If you are concerned about metal shavings being attracted to the magnet, then maybe something is wrong with your setup.
kjonesie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:03 PM   #26
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nshefbuch View Post
ARB for the win.

Plain and simple it's stronger than any electric ones on the market. No cable issues like OX either.
Exactly what "cable issues" with the Ox are you talking about?

Can you point to other reviews with the same issues?

Thanks,

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:10 PM   #27
zillla
1975 CJ5 

I have nothing agaihnst ARB's but as I stated the four I have been around all leaked, a bit and the compressor kept coming on. Maybe thats normal I don't know.. I wanted selectable in the rear. My choices were OX, ARB and electric. ARB seemed to cost more and depended on a compressor. Electric has too many small parts. OX seems pretty bullet proof to me.. You do have to get the cable adjusted correctly but that's a one time deal.. Detroit: who can argue with success..

All have pros and cons, to me it's a matter of personal preference..
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #28
zillla
1975 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Exactly what "cable issues" with the Ox are you talking about?

Can you point to other reviews with the same issues?

Thanks,

Matt
Matt the cable issue I had wasn't really a cable problem, but an adjustment problem. The original the OX locker cable was in direct contact with the lever so to speak. As you engaged the locker you pushed the lever forward and kept pressure on it. You could feel it engage and the lever moved forward to the lock position.

It was later design [as it is today] modified so there was a spring in there keeping pressure on the cable. You moved the lever to the lock position and the spring kept tension on the cable. It still locked, you just didn't have to keep pressure on the lever as the spring did that. On mine the cable twists around under the CJ5, and mine eventually stopped engaging, because the spring couldn't push it enough. OX offered to build me a shorter cable, but the tech also recomended that I remove the spring and reverse the collar at the lever and re-adjust. End of problem.. Mine now engages like the original and I can feel when it engages.. Clear as mud e'h?
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #29
nshefbuch
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zillla
I have nothing agaihnst ARB's but as I stated the four I have been around all leaked, a bit and the compressor kept coming on. Maybe thats normal I don't know.. I wanted selectable in the rear. My choices were OX, ARB and electric. ARB seemed to cost more and depended on a compressor. Electric has too many small parts. OX seems pretty bullet proof to me.. You do have to get the cable adjusted correctly but that's a one time deal.. Detroit: who can argue with success..

All have pros and cons, to me it's a matter of personal preference..
That's well said.

The local guys around here with OX all have issues with the cable. They claim when in a tight spot and needing to engage it the cable fights them and they have a hard time engaging. This is why I stayed away from it. These guys with them I respect their opinion on it and when you ask them if you could do it again, they all say I'd go with ARB.

Like mentioned its going to be personal preference. Yes ARB is the most expensive and their is no arguing that.
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #30
zillla
1975 CJ5 

Hmmm. I engage mine when offroad and leave it.. Unlock when I get back to pavement..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.