JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   who is running lockers? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/who-running-lockers-1484938/)

big_o_tom 02-26-2013 11:09 AM

who is running lockers?

Whos running lockers in their jeeps? Front and rear or just rear? What brand/kind? What do you like/dislike about them? The reason I ask is that I have a detroit in the rear and a lincoln up front. When I get my dana 44 front done its going to have a selectable locker in it and when I get the extra funds I'll put one in the rear. I prefer the ox locker but dont like the way the cable comes out the diff cover. Air or electric, those lines are small and it seems they would get ripped out by twiggs. What do you guys like?

foggybottombob 02-26-2013 04:06 PM

everybody serious about off road is running lockers front and rear.

frhrwa 02-26-2013 08:03 PM

I have them front and back.. I don't like the noise I get after running the freeway for a short distance.. the front clunks and grinds.. it eventually stops when I've driven slow for a few miles, but... before I drained out the posi fluid and filled it with regular (good) differential oil, they sounded like they were going to bust my axle housing in half.. so, don't run posi fluid with lockers!

BlueRubiconrich 02-26-2013 08:15 PM

I run lockers front and rear. Dana 44 rear lockright
Dana 44 front Spartan locker and I run twinsticks on my Scout Dana 300.
You shut down the front end with lockout hubs.

aufan 02-26-2013 08:26 PM

I'm putting in Yukon zip lockers front and back in a few weeks.

zillla 02-26-2013 08:42 PM

Detroit front, OX rear.

frhrwa 02-26-2013 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRubiconrich (Post 15043892)
I run lockers front and rear. Dana 44 rear lockright
Dana 44 front Spartan locker and I run twinsticks on my Scout Dana 300.
You shut down the front end with lockout hubs.

I do, turn the lockouts to off, but it still makes a racket after a few miles high speed..

big_o_tom 02-26-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foggybottombob (Post 15042199)
everybody serious about off road is running lockers front and rear.

What kind are you running? Do you like them or would you like to have a different kind?

big_o_tom 02-26-2013 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zillla (Post 15044075)
Detroit front, OX rear.

How is the detroit in the front? Is it very hard to steer? Do you have the aircraft cable shifter for the ox locker? Does it shift/work ok?

scottymac62 02-27-2013 12:41 AM

Aussie Locker up front.

Matt1981CJ7 02-27-2013 05:07 AM

I'm torn on the whole locker thing.

I refuse to compromise the ride quality on pavement, so non-selectable lockers are out in the rear. I've considered Truetrac limited slip in the rear, but I've read Truetracs, or any locker for that matter, make snow/ice driving more dangerous than open diffs. So, it will be selectable lockers in the rear for me, or nothing at all. In the front, again, I want to be able to drive in 4H on snow/ice without being locked. So, I guess it will be selectable, as well.

So, the question for me becomes which selectable locker to use. I like the idea of on-board compressed air, but I'm not sure about relying on another sub-system for my lockers. With my luck, the compressor would fail when I needed the lockers the most. The OX cable system seems to be the most trouble free selectable setup, to me.

Or, I may just bag the locker idea. My little CJ has taken me everywhere I've wanted to go, and some places I shouldn't have been, for over 25 years. I'm not sure I really need more.

Matt

foggybottombob 02-27-2013 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_o_tom (Post 15044775)
What kind are you running? Do you like them or would you like to have a different kind?

I have Eaton E-lockers front and rear. D44 in the front D60 rear. I've had the front one 3 or 4 years and the back one a couple of years. Never had any problem other than the wire coming unplugged and I found a way to fix that. I can install one myself and it takes about half a day to wire it up. If an ARB was easy to install I would have that but it is not. These are open diffs when they are not turned on. I broke the wires off one once being careless with setting up the gears and I was able to take it apart and change the armature ring myself. So I don't have anything bad to say about the Eaton E-locker.

zillla 02-27-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_o_tom (Post 15044793)
How is the detroit in the front? Is it very hard to steer? Do you have the aircraft cable shifter for the ox locker? Does it shift/work ok?

The Detroit works well. But at times you can feel it pushing in the soft turns.. Doesn't affect me too much I am used to it.. And I have power steering. If it really bothered me I'd unlock a hub, but never have. OX is cable rear. I had an issue with it not engaging after a while and called OX. I ended up switching the spring in the lever portion around to allow direct action. I now push the lever forward till I feel it engage like the originals did...

As for needing a locker, I didn't miss it til I had it. I have gone up stuff on just the rear locker that my friends had trouble with in 4WD and no lockers.

I like ARB's BUT, every one I have been around running ARB's devlop leakage after a while.. I mean every one.. Like 4 people I know..

IMO electric lockers have too many small parts to go wrong.. Just my opinion..

RedCJ83 02-27-2013 08:29 AM

I run a Detroit in the rear and a TruTrac up front. Never had any issues, the Detroit pops occasionally in turns. I find that as you are going into turns, regardless of the weather if you just give yourself enough speed to go through the turn that you can coast through it, foot off the gas, and then as you straighten the front end up you reapply the gas it cuts out the noise and has never given me any issues driving in snow/ice etc....selectable are great, but make no mistake, they come with their own inconveniences I.E. branches/twigs snapping lines etc... It's a bit of personal preference, for me given that no matter what you choose there will be drawbacks, I went with a more cost effective approach that's also more reliable. I'd rather deal with having to mildly alter my on-road driving style, which at this point is such a habit i don't even have to think about it, than to run the risk of breaking off road because a tube or a line came undone.

Matt1981CJ7 02-27-2013 08:48 AM

Doesn't the Ox selectable locker use something like a 1/4" steel cable to control it?

How is a "branch/twig" ever going to snap that? I assume you can tuck the cable up in the frame for most of its length, but I really don't know.

Good thread.

Matt

The time now is 11:06 PM.