Who is the motorcraft 2100 fine tuning expert? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Who is the motorcraft 2100 fine tuning expert?

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #1
Cashcrazy

Who is the motorcraft 2100 fine tuning expert?

This is on my 89/tf999. I know it's not a CJ, but I know there are a lot more 258'ers in the CJ crowd that might can help. My first Jeep was an 82 CJ7 258/t4 about 10-12 years ago. It was a good Jeep and I kept it about a year. I then picked up a 83 CJ7 258/t150, then a t4, then a t176. I drove that one hard and kept it several years. I went without a Jeep for awhile and the bug hit again. I originally set out for another CJ7, but the clean ones are getting much harder to find. I ran across the ad for my current Jeep and was sold after seeing the price and the test drive. The sound of the 258 put a grin on my face with a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

After roughly 500 miles the Carter BBD starting running like crap at an idle. I removed and cleaned out the idle tubes and it was ok for a short time. My original intention was to keep the Jeep in stock condition since it has gone 24 years without being altered. However, I was so tired of having to fan the gas at red lights my goal changed. I am now going for relaibility even if I have to change a few things. So I found a rebuilt 1.08 MC2100, did the Nutter Bypass, and replaced the intake/exhaust manifold gaskets.

I used a vacuum gauge to tune the carb and it is pulling a steady 20.5. No more sputtering or dying at stop signs. My wife said, "That's insane, you can barely hear it running now." It idles great and drives great when you are just putting around. When moderately accelerating it seems like it just doesnt have the balls that the Carter did. I am running #48 jets so it shouldn't be too lean. I am open to any suggestions. Is it possibly running slightly rich and slightly bogging down? Possible the accelerator rod needs to be on a different setting? It has a tf999 and I have read about the kick down cable needing adjustment. I had to fab a small pull down style throttle bracket for this swap. Did the bracket put something out of adjustment? Timing is 8* should I go to 11*?? I appreciate any advice.

Cashcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Do you have a volt meter?

If so you can read the voltage from the O2 sensor and find out what's going on.

Wide open throttle you want to see .9 volts DC. Light throttle cruising you want .4 to .5 VDC.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
Cashcrazy

I have a volt meter and will check it out. I also have a cheap air fuel gauge mounted. It stays in the "ideal range" at idle and low RPM's and goes Rich when I accel.
Cashcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashcrazy
I have a volt meter and will check it out. I also have a cheap air fuel gauge mounted. It stays in the "ideal range" at idle and low RPM's and goes Rich when I accel.
Hook your volt meter up to the O2 sensor and see what your blowing. If your reading above .9 to .93 jet down.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.