Who makes model 20 Nissan conversion brake rotor brackets? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Who makes model 20 Nissan conversion brake rotor brackets?

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 09-06-2009, 07:27 PM   #1
CJman77
1977 CJ7 

Who makes model 20 Nissan conversion brake rotor brackets?

LOL sorry for the long name. I know alot of people do this and some people have bought the brackets premade online somewhere. Any ideas?

thanks

Brian

CJman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 05:57 AM   #2
Patter
1981 CJ5 

I am assuming you mean an AMC model 20. And I am also assuming that you mean caliper brackets. If so. There used to be someone on ebay who sold a "wooden" template. I found a link through this forum that gave me a CAD drawing of the bracket. http://www.abeenterprises.com/files/...ke-Bracket.pdf I then had a local machinist make me a set. Turned out very nice. As far as buying the brackets pre-made for the Nissan conversion. I don't know bout that. Do a search on this forum. You might just find what you are looking for.

Later
Patter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 07:59 AM   #3
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

I got a set of stub axels from a 300 zx and cut the caliper brackets off and used them. I was able to use three of the four AMC flange bolts to bolt them on vesus the 2 bolt version I have on seen other AMC20 disk brack conversions. I think I traced a template for that cut off caliper bracket on a box in the shop.

I got the stub axles complete with calipers at a parts yard really cheap. I also used the flexible brake lines and brake line clips from those stub axle assemblies.

I bought the Suzuki rotors new for like $20 a piece, not worth pulling those, get new ones.

Jim
jfwireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 09:35 AM   #4
BrockGrimes

Isn't there another nissian car that uses the same calipers as the 300?
USN Jeep Club Hull #1
CJ Forum
BrockGrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 04:56 PM   #5
ACAD_Cowboy
1980 CJ7 

The drawing shown in the PDF is a little wonky. I tried drawing it for my own reference as I hate trying to do layout from Cartesian drawings. The missing information is the location of the center for the other large radius. I'll quickly throw a drawing together as the one I have is on my work system, watch this space.

As for alternatives, re-mans are a good option if you can't locate in yards.

1989-1998 Geo Tracker

Wearever Brake Rotor - Front
Part No. YH141710
Front 2 Door

Wagner BRAKE ROTOR
Part No. BD61936
2 Dr.

Later Z-car Calipers, Circa 1987

Cardone Friction Choice Brake Caliper-Rear
Part No. 19-1220
Reman.; w/Installation Hardware; Right; OE Metal Piston;Supplied w/o Mounting Bracket
112.99 w/ 35.00 core

Part No. 19-1221
Reman.; w/Installation Hardware; Left; OE Metal Piston;Supplied w/o Mounting Bracket
112.99 w/ 35.00 core

Wearever Silver Brake Pads/Shoes - Rear
Part No. NAD 272
Pad; Organic; OE Replacement

Wagner Brake Pads/Shoes - Rear
Part No. PD272
Pads; ThermoQuiet; OE Replacement; Organic

Earlier Z-car calipers, circa 1984

Part No. 19-686
Reman.; w/Installation Hardware; Right; OE Metal Piston;Supplied w/o Mounting Bracket
86.99 w/ 25.00 core

Part No. 19-687
Reman.; w/Installation Hardware; Left; OE Metal Piston;Supplied w/o Mounting Bracket
86.99 w/ 25.00 core

Wagner Brake Pads/Shoes - Rear
Part No. PD272
Pads; ThermoQuiet; OE Replacement; Organic
$35.49

Part No. NAD 272
$15.99

Late Maxima, circa 1996

Part No. 19-2000
$74.99 w/ $35.00 core

Part No. 19-2001
Reman.; w/Installation Hardware; left; OE Metal Piston;Supplied w/o Mounting Bracket
$74.99 w/ $35.00 core

Part No. NAD 540
$21.99

[SIZE="1"][I][SIZE="2"]These, in the day when heaven was falling, The hour when earth's foundations fled, Followed their mercenary calling, And took their wages, and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended; They stood, and earth's foundations stay; What God abandoned, these defended, And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman[/SIZE][/I][/SIZE]

Last edited by ACAD_Cowboy; 09-07-2009 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: Added more information
ACAD_Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Just curious... how do the Nissan calipers attach?... Are those two caliper mounting holes threaded?.. or just smooth holes?

Reason I'm asking.. I just picked up some 3/8" plate. Next time I throw a sheet onto the plasma table, I might try hacking out a few of those brackets. With 3/8" plate, I just "pierce" a pilot hole and drill out to the desired diameter. I'm assuming the .393" dia mounting holes are metric (too lazy to look)? That's why I was asking if they need to be tapped...

If I cut a set of these, I've got an AMC 20 housing in my shop I can check the axle fit with.. if I can verify the caliper mount/position, I can go ahead and do a small run of these brackets.

This isn't something I'm planning to do overnight.. it'll be awhile before I have the time to mess with them. Just looks like a fun project.

I also plan to hack out my own caliper brackets for my Scout D44 (I know.. these brackets are a dime a dozen already) using El Dorado Calipers and CJ front rotors.. I happened to have the rotors laying around and found fully loaded calipers on eBay.. so I figured it'd be fun to do a disk conversion for my CJ5.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 05:25 PM   #7
jfwireless
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
Just curious... how do the Nissan calipers attach?... Are those two caliper mounting holes threaded?.. or just smooth holes?

Reason I'm asking.. I just picked up some 3/8" plate. Next time I throw a sheet onto the plasma table, I might try hacking out a few of those brackets. With 3/8" plate, I just "pierce" a pilot hole and drill out to the desired diameter. I'm assuming the .393" dia mounting holes are metric (too lazy to look)? That's why I was asking if they need to be tapped...

If I cut a set of these, I've got an AMC 20 housing in my shop I can check the axle fit with.. if I can verify the caliper mount/position, I can go ahead and do a small run of these brackets.

This isn't something I'm planning to do overnight.. it'll be awhile before I have the time to mess with them. Just looks like a fun project.

I also plan to hack out my own caliper brackets for my Scout D44 (I know.. these brackets are a dime a dozen already) using El Dorado Calipers and CJ front rotors.. I happened to have the rotors laying around and found fully loaded calipers on eBay.. so I figured it'd be fun to do a disk conversion for my CJ5.
When I get home tomorrow I will take a picture and show you how they attach. As I recall just two bolts/nuts, I had to put a few spacers in to get the calipers centered on the Suzuki rotors.

Jim
jfwireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 05:27 PM   #8
Totallymetal
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockGrimes View Post
Isn't there another nissian car that uses the same calipers as the 300?
I got mine off of a 96 Maxima, they measured very close to the 300ZX. I didn't drill the two Nissan mounting holes until I fit them in place on the rotor, then marked and drilled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
They are straight through, slightly larger than my 3/8 drill bit, I ran a round burring bit on my die grinder through the hole after I drilled and it was perfect.

2007 JK Rubicon
5.5 Rock Krawler X-factor lift w/37 x 12.5 x 17 BFG KM2s, 5.13 Superior gears
Warn Powerplant HD

Totallymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #9
Patter
1981 CJ5 

[QUOTE=ACAD_Cowboy;7888487]The drawing shown in the PDF is a little wonky. I tried drawing it for my own reference as I hate trying to do layout from Cartesian drawings. The missing information is the location of the center for the other large radius. I'll quickly throw a drawing together as the one I have is on my work system, watch this space.

ACAD,
I am pretty sure if you can just blend in something close on the big radius, it will be fine. That radius is clearance for the caliper to slide. Plenty of clearance on it. The smaller radius is to clear the axle tube.
If I remember right, I had mine made to 3.1, instead of 3.05. Little more clearance. And made holes 10mm thru.

Also. I had to buy the caliper brackets too. Then these bolt to the CAD bracket. Your part #'s are right. But without brackets. Gotta have em.
Ask me how I know.

Good luck
Patter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 07:35 PM   #10
ACAD_Cowboy
1980 CJ7 

Well since I draw for a living, wonky drawings piss me off. I spend too much time making sure the math works for the CNC to cut and the fabricators to build so when blatant things like that come up I just get cranky.

So as promised, the fully dimensioned AMC 20 to Nissan caliper mounting bracket. If anyone wants I can send you a digital print to load into CAD/CAM software.

And to stave off any questions, the dimensions are laid out assuming the builder is using a scratch awl and compass on plate. Thus all intersections are in plane. If you need a more traditional nested dimension plan let me know.
amc-20-caliper-bracket.jpg  

[SIZE="1"][I][SIZE="2"]These, in the day when heaven was falling, The hour when earth's foundations fled, Followed their mercenary calling, And took their wages, and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended; They stood, and earth's foundations stay; What God abandoned, these defended, And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman[/SIZE][/I][/SIZE]
ACAD_Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.