White Smoke, was it the seafoam?!? No clue what to do next. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > White Smoke, was it the seafoam?!? No clue what to do next.

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 09-29-2014, 12:10 PM   #1
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

White Smoke, was it the seafoam?!? No clue what to do next.

1981 jeep cj 5 258 I-6 speedo reads approx 90K but I am sure thats 190K.
Last week- While driving my oil pressure was dropping to '0' on acceleration.
Everything at that time was running the same way it always had.
I checked the oil level - About 1 drop on the dipstick, very low.
Drain any existing oil and added new 5 qts 15w-40 Rotella, (same as last time)

This time however, I also added 1 qt. of Lucas Oil Stabilizer, and maybe 1/4th to 1/3rd can of Seafoam to the oil (I think this is where I pood the bed) and replaced the oil filter.

Crank the engine - holding 25 psi steady, no longer dropping, not raising on accel either, but its an old gauge so probably not 100%

Check coolant -low- fill it up

Remove carburetor choke plate and venturi assembly, clean out with choke cleaner and small wire, reassemble, crank engine -good- turn down curb idle screw 1/4th turn - now idles at lower rpm and is quieter (seems to have worked as planned, don't believe it is part of the problem)

Here is where the problems start
I leave the driveway after doing all of the above. The engine has a sputtery unbalanced feeling to it, like maybe its timing is off or its misfiring or something. I drive 3 miles to the store, 15 minutes later re crank engine, sit for a moment, start noticing white smoke, drive home, oil pressure still stable at 25psi, engine still has the unbalanced feeling. Get home, and let the engine run for 20 minutes - smoke coming from exhaust the whole time. its white smoke. But then again, maybe it does have a blueish tint to it.
At this point I am kicking myself thinking I shouldn't have added seafoam to this old engine, nor to the new oil I just spent $30 on, now I gotta dump the new oil and get more new oil in it.
Yesterday, I drain all the oil again and replace it with new 15w-40 and new filter, NO additives this time.

Crank the engine - ran it for 20 minutes - smoke from exhaust the whole time, starting as soon as I crank the engine. It is possible it has a blueish tint from burning oil but I cant tell as I have never seen it what one would consider blue smoke before. Its mainly white, but its questionable.

So anyway - it is just sitting in the driveway blowing smoke, I am thinking I may have loosened up some areas I shouldn't have with that seafoam and now its causing oil or coolant to leak somewhere?

Today at lunch I cranked the jeep -still smoking- and took off the rad cap to look for bubbles -nothing-. I did that for a few minutes only.

I plan on doing a compression test this afternoon
I'm not sure how long I drove the jeep with that extremely low oil level. It was fine before I changed it out though.

I am just looking for advice on what it could be, or what I should be checking for beyond what I plan on doing this afternoon.

smitty010203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 12:59 PM   #2
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

Sounds to me like you may have popped the head gasket. Sea Foam will cause smoke while it does its thing but that should have only been temporary. Have you noticed any coolant or oil leaks? They were both low, it has to go somewhere.
Unread 09-29-2014, 01:06 PM   #3
dirtdudeaz
1983 CJ7 

I've never heard of Seafoam causing any cracks anywhere in an engine or popping a head gasket...This would be the only way you would get oil to water or water to oil. You can rent a sniffer/fluid from vatozone to check for fumes in the water. And when you would have changed the oil, you probably would have seen water in it.

Are you getting any blow-by? Once you get done with the dry test, you should do a wet compression test as well.Your compression test will tell you about blow by and if you have a block or head gasket issue.

Do you smell anything sweet in the exhaust or oil? How did the new oil look when you took it out?

It's possible you are really cleaning everything in your engine from the new diesel oil and seafoam and it could be burning off. As it circulates on top of the head and down to the pan and through the engine, it could be scrubbing the deposits...

Check your plugs too for deposits and gaps.

Depending on how much or what you mean by "imbalanced"; The only other thing I could think of is make sure everything is tight and connected (electrical). Maybe you bumped something or accidently disconnected something when you were in the engine bay.
dirtdudeaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

I think the Sea Foam is just coincidence, not the culprit.
Was it added to the fuel tank, as well or just the crank case?
Unread 09-29-2014, 01:20 PM   #5
Mirage2521

Start simple, check the carb adjust if you fiddled with it. Is the white smoke or steam? Are you losing coolant?
Mirage2521 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 01:34 PM   #6
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Considering the first symptom you realized was extremely low oil, I'm guessing the smoke you are seeing is burning oil, not coolant.

A quick peek at the coolant level, and the plugs, would surely confirm.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 01:44 PM   #7
texasdave

1980 CJ7 

I've only used Seafoam on fuel tank. If it takes the lacquer build up out of carbs then it would also disturb buildups in the oil system. Your oil color will tell you if you have a head gasket blown it will be milky. Your oil level will also be increased. You also overfilled the crankcase the first oil change. It calls for 5 quarts o have added 6 plus the seafoam. I was always taught not to overfill the oil.
texasdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 05:07 PM   #8
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

I would also suspect the head gasket. Texasdave is correct that coolant mixed in the oil will become visible (eventually you'll see what looks like milkshake on the dipstick)... it does take a while for it to build up enough to be seen, so you may need to drive it for a while after your oil change.
Inspecting the spark plugs can also give you a clue of what is going on.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2014, 07:15 AM   #9
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Get a bottle of block check from a auto parts store its about 8 dollars and you dump it in the radiator if it detects hydro carbons the coolant will change color. If it dosent change color you have a tuning issue if it does change color you have a blown head gasket, warped head, cracked block or head.
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2014, 08:48 AM   #10
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

If any coolant is getting into the cylinders, it steam cleans the spark plug. I would remove the plugs to see. If one is super clean, suspect coolant, if they are all black and grungy, suspect oil.

A compression test is the next step. I suspect yours will be low and your smoke is oil related.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2014, 10:19 AM   #11
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty010203 View Post
... speedo reads approx 90K but I am sure thats 190K.
Since the engine likely has 190,000 miles on it, does the specific cause of the problem here even matter? It sounds like it's time for a rebuild or replacement engine.

Checking the coolant, oil, spark plugs and running a compression test will only cost you time so maybe that's OK, but at some point you have to figure the engine is done after 190,000 miles.
Unread 09-30-2014, 10:30 AM   #12
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
Since the engine likely has 190,000 miles on it, does the specific cause of the problem here even matter? It sounds like it's time for a rebuild or replacement engine.

Checking the coolant, oil, spark plugs and running a compression test will only cost you time so maybe that's OK, but at some point you have to figure the engine is done after 190,000 miles.
Hmm...how much time does checking the plugs and coolant level really take? At least he'd have an idea of what's going on, and won't be in the dark if he takes it to a machine shop.

I guess I have general mistrust of mechanics, and prefer to know what's wrong before I rely on them to tell me.

Matt
Unread 09-30-2014, 10:33 AM   #13
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Hmm...how much time does checking the plugs and coolant level really take? At least he'd have an idea of what's going on, and won't be in the dark if he takes it to a machine shop.
That's a valid point. I hadn't thought about the prospect of hauling it in for a rebuild, and how that might play out. I've never had an engine rebuilt so I'm mostly clueless there

On the other hand, a rebuild is going to include new rings and head gasket anyhow. What details could be learned from checking the plugs and coolant?
Unread 09-30-2014, 10:59 AM   #14
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken4444 View Post
That's a valid point. I hadn't thought about the prospect of hauling it in for a rebuild, and how that might play out. I've never had an engine rebuilt so I'm mostly clueless there

On the other hand, a rebuild is going to include new rings and head gasket anyhow. What details could be learned from checking the plugs and coolant?
Checking the plugs and coolant level will tell him if the problem is a coolant leak, or if he's just burning oil from normal wear. If one or more of the plugs is steam-cleaned, or his coolant level is low, then he's got a leak (probably a blown head gasket, cracked head or block). If the plugs are all black and the coolant level is normal, then the smoke is likely from burning oil.

Either way, these two simple checks will give him an idea of where to go from here.

Matt
Unread 10-01-2014, 09:04 AM   #15
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

Sorry guys I got busy and forgot to follow up on this. I havent done the compression test yet but plan on doing it today as soon as I get off work. I cranked it up yesterday and after about a minute of idling it started smoking. Previously it started smoking immediately but I suppose that is because the engine was warm. I will pull the plugs today and run compression test and likewise I may go to the autostore and get one of those test kits for the radiator.

And as for an engine rebuild. That would be great its just money I dont have right now. I only spend 1,000 on the jeep because the PO didnt realize what they are worth and its been great for me. An engine rebuild or new engine looks like its gonna run me anywhere from 1k to 3k. And my other issue with dropping that money into an engine is I am afraid it will only be a matter of time before something goes out.. Why is is they call them JEEPS again?? thats right...
smitty010203 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
seafoam , smoke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.