White Hardtop and Doors? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > White Hardtop and Doors?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 10-07-2008, 08:03 PM   #1
LostINohiO
1985 CJ7 

White Hardtop and Doors?

A.

well i bought a hardtop for CHEAP and a set of doors came with it for free... i had to do some welding, grinding, sanding and painting before i could get the doors back together... and i happened to have a few cans of white gloss rustoleum enamel... so i thought i would just match the doors to the white hardtop until i could paint them all as planned... but the white isnt so bad until i can get through winter and then take the hardtop back off and paint it... what do you guys think?

B. Due to the previous owner wrecking into a tree some of my body steel was slightly buckled...

in order to make the passenger door fit into the jeep i had to rig a come along and chain bolted to the wreckage and try to pull/straighten out the panels...
It just needed a half an inch and i finally got the door to fit in... although it is NOT operational just yet..

I have a replacement panel for the passenger side rear panel that is wrecked... but I am clueless as to how to proceed...

any advice on how to go about cutting out the wrecked panel and fitting in the new one?

here is where my next repairs are going to be focused...

i need a new liftgate (rusted out) if anyone has one... let me know...
I need bodywork/ panels replaced... quote me a ballpark estimate?

probably should start looking into a new bumper with a receiver as well...

I have an immaculate bestop supertop about 1 year old if anyone has something i need in a reasonable trade...

please

C.

What do you think my jeep is worth?

It was listed 4 thousand firm when i got it...

I put 800 dollars into brand new 33inch BFG all terrains less than 300 miles ago
did the nutter bypass
200 dollars into cb and antenna
added hardtop and full doors
bought an extra carb w rebuild kit
have replacement steel...
soft top and soft doors as well
75k original miles on 258
about 7 inches of lift
ZERO rust on frame...
very few surface rust spots...

i just wonder what you guys think this thing is worth as is...
or after the bodywork/paint what it might be worth?

Unread 10-07-2008, 08:07 PM   #2
chadcarter
1983 CJ7 

I like it.
chadcarter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2008, 08:20 PM   #3
LostINohiO
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcarter View Post
I like it.
thank you

can i get a witness?

Unread 10-07-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
82Renegade
1982 CJ7 

same deal here- just got a white hardtop and doors. I'm working to get the doors back in shape, but rocking them in the meantime. better than freezing in the morning!
82Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2008, 08:36 PM   #5
LostINohiO
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82Renegade View Post
same deal here- just got a white hardtop and doors. I'm working to get the doors back in shape, but rocking them in the meantime. better than freezing in the morning!

absolutely...

i didnt know how well my heater worked until i had the hardtop on and the windows / doors in...

its gettin cold fast.
Unread 10-07-2008, 08:39 PM   #6
LostINohiO
1985 CJ7 

O OO O
_\_\
O IIIII O
=======
{}-o--{}

Last edited by LostINohiO; 10-07-2008 at 10:28 PM..
LostINohiO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2008, 08:42 PM   #7
Renegade79
2006 TJ Wrangler 

for the cost of body work it might be worth it to get yourself an air compressor, some air tools, and a welder and go at it yourself. a buddy and me replaced both of my rear corners over a weekend. lots of cutting, grinding, and cussing involved, but all told it only ran me about $65 including a case of beer for letting me use his welder.
Renegade79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2008, 08:49 PM   #8
LostINohiO
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade79 View Post
for the cost of body work it might be worth it to get yourself an air compressor, some air tools, and a welder and go at it yourself. a buddy and me replaced both of my rear corners over a weekend. lots of cutting, grinding, and cussing involved, but all told it only ran me about $65 including a case of beer for letting me use his welder.
i hear ya talkin but i have no garage!

although i do have experience and use for a welder... may be more money than i am willing to play with...

btw... what cost you the 65 dollars? steel/beer?

Unread 10-07-2008, 09:10 PM   #9
Renegade79
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostINohiO View Post

btw... what cost you the 65 dollars? steel/beer?
the rear corners were $26 a piece from quadratec, then the beer.

heres how mine looked getting done...

Unread 10-07-2008, 09:13 PM   #10
LostINohiO
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
the rear corners were $26 a piece from quadratec, then the beer.

heres how mine looked getting done...

WOW nice work...

very helpful...

tell me what you used for cutting and where you started...

looks like you just started on the exterior line/seam and peeled it back as you cut neatly as possible?

???
Unread 10-07-2008, 09:22 PM   #11
Renegade79
2006 TJ Wrangler 

yeah, we used an air cut off wheel from harbor freight (cheap, but worked really well). cut right outside the seam, then had to grind down the welds by the tailgate. once it was off we went back and removed the rest of the old corner from the seam by grinding through the spot welds one at a time. putting on the new corner wasn't that hard either. stripped the paint off the edges, clamped it in place, then went to town with the welder.

here's a before and after. its still kinda rough because i haven't pulled out the bondo yet to smooth over the welds.

Unread 10-07-2008, 09:26 PM   #12
LostINohiO
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
yeah, we used an air cut off wheel from harbor freight (cheap, but worked really well). cut right outside the seam, then had to grind down the welds by the tailgate. once it was off we went back and removed the rest of the old corner from the seam by grinding through the spot welds one at a time. putting on the new corner wasn't that hard either. stripped the paint off the edges, clamped it in place, then went to town with the welder.

awesome... this is better advice than i could have hoped for... the pictures really help... i think i now understand what all has to be done to swap that steel...

THANK YOU!
Unread 10-07-2008, 10:36 PM   #13
LostINohiO
1985 CJ7 

i am starting to think i need to remove the rear steel panel and then hook the chain onto the inside of the tub, put a ton more tension on it... and try to make just a little more room for that passenger door and get the passenger side hardtop and windshield to line up just a fraction of an inch better... then my doors should both work...

i am missing a couple seals I need for the glass on the doors... i cant believe how much $ they want for a cple pieces of rubber... highway robbery.

i put foam weather strip in for the meantime.... it was $2.99
Unread 10-08-2008, 02:02 PM   #14
taquito971
2008 JK Wrangler 

You might be able to cover that dent up with a set of corner guards or crusher corners. That would be my lazy way of covering it up.

Brian
taquito971 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2008, 04:58 PM   #15
LostINohiO
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taquito971 View Post
You might be able to cover that dent up with a set of corner guards or crusher corners. That would be my lazy way of covering it up.

Brian
i want to fix it right not cover it up...

but yeah i could do it that way... wouldnt be any cheaper though... just easier to do

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.