Whistling Sound?? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-29-2016, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
dastro123
1980 CJ7 

Whistling Sound??

I just bought a '85 CJ7 Laredo with MPFI with 112K miles. In certain instances, it makes a whistling sound which is coming from the engine compartment.

It does it under light to medium acceleration, never under heavy throttle and only when moving. When it is happening, if I push just slightly more on the gas, the pitch changes a little, then if i let up a little the pitch changes again. It's loud enough to be annoying but the radio drowns it out. It's like it only happens within a certain throttle range, not under light or heavy throttle.

I just had the air intake completely redone so that's probably not it. I've read some other posts from people experiencing the same thing but didn't really see any fix or specific problem discovered.

I'm also unsure if it could be specific to the fuel injection system or not.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-29-2016, 09:23 AM
thord
1986 CJ7 

my drivers side rear view mirror whistles ever so slightly and ever so annoying. If you are sure its coming from the engine bay, I will let an expert help you

happy friday
post #3 of 10 Old 01-29-2016, 09:28 AM
Stumblebum
1982 CJ7 

Check for intake manifold leaks. Tighten intake manifold bolts to FSM specs to see if the whistling stops or is minimized. A long term fix is replace the gasket with anaerobic (765-1189 NAPA) sealant. It's not unusual for the MPFI intake manifold bolts with a gasket to loosen over time.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-29-2016, 09:46 AM
MOPARLICIOUS
1985 CJ7 

I would like to know what this sound is as well. I have a 85 CJ7 with MPFI kit also. I notice the same whistling sound when on throttle and can change the pitch if you press or let off gas pedal. I seem to hear it coming from under neath driver side where Catalytic is. This sound is annoying.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-29-2016, 08:38 PM
1985 CJ7 

Cj

First thing that comes to mind is a LOOSE fan belt. At the belts longest stretch, see that it ONLY has a 1/4"-1/2" play.
A loose belt will make a high pitched squeal that goes away when the belt isn't slipping; usually at higher speeds.

Also, check the pulley bearings.
The way to check is to get a LONG tool and CAREFULLY place it on the pulley bolt when the engine is running. You can use a wooden dowel as well. BE VERY CAREFUL & ALERT . . . it's a running engine.
Put your thumb on the other end and place your ear into your thumb. You will definitely hear a grind if its bad. They TOO squeal when they are bad and get HOT.
Do not replace your metal pulleys with a cheap plastic pulley. Remove yours and simply replace the inner bearing. it is an easy fix. Once you have the bearing replaced, if it is that, you will be surprised at the difference in noise.

It could also be your clutch/flywheel viewing shield if the noise is down below. The shield bolt might simply need to be tightened.

Good Luck
post #6 of 10 Old 01-29-2016, 08:46 PM
Chrisinchwk
1982 CJ7 

I had a similar sound on my 258 with a bbd after I rebuilt it. Turns out the throttle plates down inside the carb. Adjusted them a little more and it went away. Maybe. Not your problem but anything helps.

Chris
post #7 of 10 Old 01-29-2016, 10:12 PM
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Look under the throttle body and see if there is a 1 aluminum spacer in between the throttle body and manifold.
A few years back that was the rage thinking that it helped straighten air flow.
If you have one you can remove it with no bad effects.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-30-2016, 12:07 AM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I'm guessing you have a *open* style breather. Correct?

http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/whi...erating-23151/

Just another reason I'm not a fan of those.

Matt
post #9 of 10 Old 02-01-2016, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
dastro123
1980 CJ7 

Okay, just heard from Bennie at Hesco, here is what he says causes the whistle sound: "The whistle is created by air flow over the throttle plate and the air cut out for the idle speed motor. You may be able to lessen the noise by sanding the edge so it isn’t so sharp. This noise is prevalent with open air systems versus stock air boxes.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-01-2016, 02:38 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I love when we get one correct.

At least it's nothing serious.

Matt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.