Whining - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Whining

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-04-2002, 06:21 PM   #1
bombo

Whining

I put a new engine in my 1980 CJ7 last year and have driven it lightly since... it drives great with the new 258 and a Weber carb. But there is a whining sound that seems loudest after the engine is driven for a bit and warmed up. It is loudest at idle and decreases to nonexistent at driving speed.

During the reinstall a small capacitor type thing that was attached to the coil came off and broke and I haven't been able to find a replacement. I'm guessing that isn't good, but most operations are normal so far. So:

A) What was that thing?
B) Where do I get one?
C) Could it cause the whining?
D) If it isn't the cause, what could be?

Thanks...

bombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2002, 09:07 PM   #2
CSP

Where is the whining coming from? The capacitor is there to reduce feedback noise in your radio. That's all it does. It's hard to tell if it's the cause of the whining without knowing where the whining is coming from.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2002, 08:15 PM   #3
beardedcj7

whining

my '83 cj7 recently started making the same whining noise as yours did, more prevalant at low to idle speeds, i checked my power steering fluid and it was almost gone, so i added some more and it quieted the whining tremendously but it hasn't stopped, i figure it may be because the pump had to run almost dry before i noticed it, that may not be it but its my guess. let me know if you find out what it is. thanks
beardedcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2002, 03:50 PM   #4
bombo

more info

Well can't be the power steering - don't have that...

I can't really tell where the sound is coming from as it is so loud that it's hard to pinpoint. It seems to be coming from the distributor/ alternator side of the engine but that is only a guess.

Thanks for the posts...
bombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2002, 09:32 AM   #5
boredstiff

noise

well, if you haven't found the whine, remove your alternator belt and start your engine. See if it goes away... if not at least you can rule out the alternator/water pump...
boredstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2002, 01:14 PM   #6
kasper37

how to trace down the noise

get one of these:

http://www.ipstool.com/PRODUCTS/Mech...ethoscope.html

they are very helpful when trying to trace down engine noises and are well worth the cheap price...

dan
kasper37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2002, 01:34 PM   #7
johny1i

try spraying your fan belt with some WD-40 also. you can do it while it's running, but watch out for the fan! Like Jeeba said, belts can cause some weird sounds, and this will silence them.
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.