Where to start!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Where to start!?

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 03-23-2007, 10:14 PM   #1
sturoe

Where to start!?

I just got a 66 cj5 thats been kept in an airplane hangar, but hasnt been run in a while. It has the dauntess engine in it. I am curious to know where the heck to start on it. My first goal is to get it rolling with brakes and steering and an engine that runs stable. This is a big project for me, becasue im new to this. The only vehicles i have experience with are diesels, so i dont know where to start on this engine.

I want to start out somewhat minimalistic, as i am on a student budget.

any help is appreciated

stu

sturoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2007, 10:58 PM   #2
CGrugger

1985 CJ7 

What are your plans for it, rock crawler, dd, etc??

07 WK Limited: 4.7, QT-II
CGrugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2007, 11:16 PM   #3
John N
1981 CJ8 

Those engines are as close to bulletproof as almost any engine can be. 2 things to do to it are to replace the original timing chain and gears (they are/were nylon or plastic gears and crumble with age/use); the other is to clean out the oil pan.

Where in Va.?
John N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2007, 06:47 AM   #4
jeepin in maine

change all the fluids,plugs,wires,cap,rotor,filters.unhook the chassis fuel line from the fuel pump,run a piece of new fuel hose from the pump to a gas can,and fire her up on FRESH gas.once it runs satisafactorily i'd then move on to cleaning the fuel tank,straigtening out the brakes(get that ancient brake fluid outta there),and going thru the front end.then you can start upgrading.get a solid running and driving base before you start.if you start upgrading before that and run into problems you won't know if its something you did or if its something that already existed.
jeepin in maine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2007, 02:18 PM   #5
sturoe

thats exactly what i wanted to do, just getting running straight first. I will just be using this for recreational muddin and on the beach. Nothing real serious, just a fun toy to play with. What about steering knuckles, iv heard that this may be something that is likely to need replacing.
Unread 03-24-2007, 02:20 PM   #6
sturoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by John N
Those engines are as close to bulletproof as almost any engine can be. 2 things to do to it are to replace the original timing chain and gears (they are/were nylon or plastic gears and crumble with age/use); the other is to clean out the oil pan.

Where in Va.?
Im in winchester VA btw.
Unread 03-24-2007, 02:23 PM   #7
nichols077
1986 CJ7 

woah...im in winchester also haha you said your a student. are you going to su?
nichols077 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2007, 02:35 PM   #8
sturoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichols077
woah...im in winchester also haha you said your a student. are you going to su?
Haha not quite, maybe in a few years. I acctually go to Sherando HS-thats pretty cool though

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.