Where is my ignition coil located? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Where is my ignition coil located?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-11-2010, 08:39 AM   #1
mlaro
1981 CJ5 

Where is my ignition coil located?

I'm new here and new to Jeeps as well. I recently purchased an 81 CJ5 with an inline 6. It has been running like a champ until about a week ago. I drove it down to the beach and back with no problems. However, when I got home I didn't realize that I had left the key in the accessory position (left it that way for about a week) and now my Jeep will crank but won't start. I've been reading other posts and think it might be the ICM or the ignition coil. I pulled my ICM (it's new...I had to change it out when I bought it about a month ago) but am having a hard time locating the ignition coil. I pulled something that had a plug running to it and it has a neg and pos sign on the top of it. When I pulled the lid off of that thing, there is what looks to be trans fluid in there? What the heck is that and is it my ignition coil?

mlaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 08:56 AM   #2
197JeepRenegade
1975 CJ5 

Follow the middle wire of your distributer, it will go into the coil.
197JeepRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 09:22 AM   #3
mlaro
1981 CJ5 

I did and that is where I found the "thing" with the fluid inside of it...It's a big yellow thing with wires that run from the selenoid and the ignition. I just didnt expect to see red fluid in there. Do I remove the entire thing and replace it? Or just take the top off and replace it?
Unread 07-11-2010, 09:23 AM   #4
mlaro
1981 CJ5 

Where are my manners...thanks for the quick reply! -mary
Unread 07-11-2010, 09:44 AM   #5
197JeepRenegade
1975 CJ5 

The coil will have 3 wires. The pos and neg wires go to your ignition module. The big round one goes to the distributer. Coils are self contained, you should not be able to open them. I''m no expert, but I think that inside the coil you should only see wires and it should not have a red fluid. Coils are cheap, you can grab one up for 20-30 bucks. The one your jeep came with is a round canister type.

Since you left your key on, you could well have burned up the igntion module, which is what I would expect happened, but then if you are looking at the coil, and it has red fluid in it, I don't see how that can be a good thing. Maybe post a picture to see just what it is you are looking at...
197JeepRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 09:45 AM   #6
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

there shouldn't be any fluid that you can see.
It should be a sealed unit that has one fat wire coming out of the middle and two smaller wires to the + and - terminals.
you shouldn't be able to pop the top off a coil.

Ignition coil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Drednot is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
mlaro
1981 CJ5 

Ok so it turns out that I have a Accel Super Coil (p/n 140001). I switched it out and it's still not starting FML! I had the ICM tested at the parts store and they said that it was good. Any suggestions? It turns over just fine but doesn't seem to be getting fuel.
Unread 07-11-2010, 11:55 AM   #8
mlaro
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drednot View Post
there shouldn't be any fluid that you can see.
It should be a sealed unit that has one fat wire coming out of the middle and two smaller wires to the + and - terminals.
you shouldn't be able to pop the top off a coil.

Ignition coil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It was sealed...but I opened it with an allen key
Unread 07-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #9
mlaro
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 197JeepRenegade View Post
The coil will have 3 wires. The pos and neg wires go to your ignition module. The big round one goes to the distributer. Coils are self contained, you should not be able to open them. I''m no expert, but I think that inside the coil you should only see wires and it should not have a red fluid. Coils are cheap, you can grab one up for 20-30 bucks. The one your jeep came with is a round canister type.

Since you left your key on, you could well have burned up the igntion module, which is what I would expect happened, but then if you are looking at the coil, and it has red fluid in it, I don't see how that can be a good thing. Maybe post a picture to see just what it is you are looking at...
That dang part was expensive...98 bucks later
Unread 07-11-2010, 12:22 PM   #10
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

OK lets ease back from buying parts just yet.

Since you're new to Jeeps, lets start by doing the first thing that every new jeep owner should do.

Check your GROUNDS !

Jeeps have lots of electrical ground connections that complete the various circuits. Lights, turn signals, guages, IGNITION, stuff like that.

Start by finding any black wires and where they screw onto the body panels, frame, ENGINE, grille, just about anywhere that some wires go to something, the Jeep tends to have a ground wire in the vicinity. The oter type of grounds are housings, mounts, straps,etc., that need clean metal to metal contact to ground the circuit.

You need to clean/scrape/grind/file any rust, paint, dirt, oils that prevent the metal to metal contact.

Do some searching on here about "grounds" and such and there will be more to see than I can explain.

Pics of your engine with the air cleaner out of the way makes it easier to see whats going on with your particular configuration.
Drednot is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 12:23 PM   #11
Comanche_

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaro View Post
Ok so it turns out that I have a Accel Super Coil (p/n 140001). I switched it out and it's still not starting FML! I had the ICM tested at the parts store and they said that it was good. Any suggestions? It turns over just fine but doesn't seem to be getting fuel.
You dident happen to get any of that oil on you or put it were it could get in/on any person/animal? They are full of transformer oil and it's pretty poisonus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polychlorinated_biphenyl
With more stupid comments? Two retards don't make a right.
Comanche_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 12:34 PM   #12
mlaro
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanche_ View Post
You dident happen to get any of that oil on you or put it were it could get in/on any person/animal? They are full of transformer oil and it's pretty poisonus.

Polychlorinated biphenyl - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That explains my trip to the vet... Just kidding. No, I made sure to keep it off of me and everything else. Thanks for the tip.
Unread 07-11-2010, 01:05 PM   #13
Comanche_

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlaro View Post
That explains my trip to the vet... Just kidding. No, I made sure to keep it off of me and everything else. Thanks for the tip.
Just makeing sure. My dad warned me not to poke the spots on the old coil for my truck, were it was worn down to thin metal( rubbing on the intake).
With more stupid comments? Two retards don't make a right.
Comanche_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 01:18 PM   #14
Obnoxious1
1981 CJ5 

As it was mentioned, check your grounds. Also check to make sure you battery cable ends are tight.
If the engine is turning over, the battery cables are probably fine. If you believe, it is getting fire but no fuel, here are a few things to check.
1. Make sure it has fuel in the tank. Sounds kinda lame I know, but Jeeps are notorious for faulty gauges.
2. Make sure your getting fuel to the carb. To do this, make sure the key is OFF. remove the top of the air cleaner. Have someone fully depress the gas pedal while you are looking down into the carb. ( You may have to push the choke plate back so you can see down in there) You should see gasoline squirting into the carb. If yes, all is good ( well kinda) if not continue to 3
3. Check the fuel filter, make sure it is not stopped up. If you have the OEM type fuel filter , remove it, blow into the end with the single pipe connector ( be sure to be away from open flames, as gasoline will come out)
If you can blow threw it with little effort or slight resistance, it's good. If not, replace it.
4. check fuel lines for leaks, cracks , etc. replace any damaged part of the fuel line.

If your getting fuel to carb, & it still wont start, start checking electrical. Start with distributor cap, make sure there is no moisture in it & there are no cracks or burnt off electrodes.
If cap & rotor button look good, run a wire from the ground side of battery to the ground side of your coil.
Attempt to start the engine, if it starts, you have a bad coil ground. If it does not, post your results & we'll go from there.
Good luck!!
A Four wheel mechanized device surrounded by glass and metal designed for the frequent consumption of the owner/operator's money. Jeeps are also linked to diseases such as Jeep envy which can be diagnosed by unusual urges for items such as bigger tires,lift kits, shocks and AMC 401s. As well as the urge to pour money into more than one Jeep. Side effects may be spouse accruing numerous "honey-do's", as well as trips to inlaws. Grease under your nails, numerous trips to NAPA and junk yards, and spare parts in the attic may indicate an addiction. There are no known cures. However there are support groups such as JeepForum.com
Obnoxious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 03:08 PM   #15
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

I did the same thing the first week I brought my CJ home, killed the battery. Bought a new battery and all is well. Have you given it a push on the accelerator when starting? My carb bowl vents to the garage and is always dry in the AM, so needs a little help to fire up. Tried turning the key with a little help from a battery from a running car? With everything that's happened, you're sure to be running low on the juice.

Did you really spend $98 on an ignition coil? Ouch.

Welcome to jeeps, expect to find three other things wrong that you didn't know about for every one that you did. Then the stars align and everything runs like it should, $1000 later.
-N
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
CJ , ignition , coil , location

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.