Where to find info - 1978 CJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Where to find info - 1978 CJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 03-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
Caroleo

Where to find info - 1978 CJ

Hi,

I'm brand new here, and I know that all forums have their own sets of rules. If posting this straightaway breaks any of them, I apologize. I read through what I could, and then decided to go ahead and post, and take a shot. Up front, I want to make it clear that I'm not trying to sell a Jeep here, not trying to find a buyer with this post. I just really need a little bit of direction, if anyone can assist.

My husband owns a 1978 CJ5 (I think it's a CJ5), and I'm trying to figure out where to find information about its value. He's been taken ill, and has asked me to sell it. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea what I am doing. I know that it needs new heads, but that he owns them -- they're just not installed. And I don't even know what that means! I'm just repeating what he said. All I know is that there's this huge part in the garage that I trip over, and it looks like there's a gear shift attached to it.

I asked a friend whether he could look into finding a buyer, and he said the best offer he got was $500. I won't part with it for $500 because my husband paid either 3 or 4k for it a few years ago. That would just be a waste. The tires alone are practically new, and he paid $1,000 for them.

So. Can anyone direct me or advise me about who I might talk to and find out what a reasonable price for this Jeep might be? The current condition has to be taken into consideration, and I have no idea how that alters the value. I even considered the auto parts store where he always gets parts and supplies. I just don't want to be taken to the cleaners.

Whether or not anyone can assist, thanks in advance.

Caroleo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 05:30 AM   #2
Hurricane4

Welcome to the JeepForum. Sorry to hear your husband is ill.

Without seeing any photos it is difficult to estimate the value of the Jeep.

In my experience you will never get the dollars back spent on restoration of a CJ.

A vehicle that runs, drives and stops is oftentimes more desirable to the prospective owner.

$500.00 might be a good offer - seems a little low to me.

I would gather all the receipts you have for parts or work done to the Jeep
and total the amounts then count on getting back 25 to 35 percent of the
dollars spent - at best.

If you can post a link to a photo hosting service we can see the Jeep and
parts, then give a better estimate as to the value.

Good luck with the sale!
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #3
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Welcome!

You may want to ask your husband:

If the engine is stock...
What kind of transmission is in it...
What kind of shape is it in regards to rust...
Does it have a winch?
Is it lifted?
What size wheels?

Write that info down because that's what buyers are going to ask.

Also, if you go to the registration, write down the VIN and post it here. DON"T post the last 3 or 4 numbers on the VIN. With that info we can tell you the year, model, what it was equipped with, etc. With that info we can give you an average price.

Wish your husband a speedy recovery for us.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #4
Caroleo

Thank you for your replies. I found a couple of photos, but I don't know how much good they'll do. I can head out to the garage for better ones. This really just gives you an idea of what it looks like, but you can't see anything under the hood. As for receipts… That's funny. I'm sure there has been a lot of them. Just no idea where they might be. He's done things to it (imagine that) like wrapping the sides in diamondplate, and I do know for sure that he bypassed some of the electrical somehow and some things operate by toggle switches on the dash. It's by no means any kind of show-worthy Jeep. This has been his muddin Jeep.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h8...ps3af075b4.jpg

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h8...psfb5c3ef6.jpg

And thank you for the info about the VIN. It wouldn't have crossed my mind that I should post the last digits. I can wire in a new breaker box, but it's rarely any use to ask me anything about what's under the hood of a Jeep!
Unread 03-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

It IS a CJ5.

Clarification on the VIN: I suggested not posting those last numbers because that part is the serial number. But the other numbers at the front end of the VIN are code numbers for equipment, options etc. Those are the numbers we need. The last few numbers left off the serial number won't hurt getting the info and will keep your Jeep and your personal info more secure.

Looks like more than $500 easy, but as someone posted you never really get back what you put into it moneywise. But certainly more than $500 if we have more info.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
Unread 03-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

[QUOTE="WindKnot"]It IS a CJ5.
[/QUOTE

Looks like a 7 to me, top rail on the tub and a 7 tailgate.

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

[quote=lucdog;15064687]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot
It IS a CJ5.
[/QUOTE

Looks like a 7 to me, top rail on the tub and a 7 tailgate.

Bill
You're right. Door openings too. My bad.

Unread 03-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #8
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

it is a 7.. I'll bet it will be an easy $3K jeep.. cleaned up for looks..
Unread 03-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #9
MoC
1986 CJ7 

So does new heads mean it needs a engine? Sounds like the tranny is pulled if the gear shifter is on the floor. If its a basket case, meaning taking apart, you will NEVER get anywhere close to what you paid for it and what you have in it. If its completely taken apart 500 - 900 is likely what you are going to get selling it whole unless you part it out piece by piece which take a lot of time and work. Post some pictures in its current as it sits now condition.
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #10
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
So does new heads mean it needs a engine? Sounds like the tranny is pulled if the gear shifter is on the floor. If its a basket case, meaning taking apart, you will NEVER get anywhere close to what you paid for it and what you have in it. If its completely taken apart 500 - 900 is likely what you are going to get selling it whole unless you part it out piece by piece which take a lot of time and work. Post some pictures in its current as it sits now condition.
with the hood open.. and don't let anyone walk in and lowball you!.. if there is value there, most of these guys will be honest and tell you..
Unread 03-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
Caroleo

Thanks! My garage -- correction, the Jeep's garage -- doesn't have electricity at the moment, so I'm going to try to get out there with the bay doors open in good light to get better photos. I really don't expect or even hope for anything. It doesn't surprise me that he can't get back what he's put into it. He's a Jeep lover. That's how it goes. I just don't want to be robbed, either. If it's really only worth $500 as it sits, then it'll just sit until he's able to deal with it again. :-)
Unread 03-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #12
frhrwa
Fish'n Fool

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroleo View Post
Thanks! My garage -- correction, the Jeep's garage -- doesn't have electricity at the moment, so I'm going to try to get out there with the bay doors open in good light to get better photos. I really don't expect or even hope for anything. It doesn't surprise me that he can't get back what he's put into it. He's a Jeep lover. That's how it goes. I just don't want to be robbed, either. If it's really only worth $500 as it sits, then it'll just sit until he's able to deal with it again. :-)
way to go.. don't just let it go for nothing, you might just have something worth more.. and don't get hurt out there trying to take a picture.. If you weren't so far away, I'd come click pictures for you.. but, I'm in Washington state
Unread 03-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #13
Caroleo

That'd be quite a trek for some photos. :-)
Unread 03-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #14
Davis77Cj
1977 CJ7 

$400 got me a basket case CJ7 with completly rotten floors and a spent motor. I am in NC and I see that you are in TN the markets are somewhat similar just to give you a guage to work with.
best of luck to you and prayers for your husband's speedy recovery.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.