Where to buy a replacement Jeep key? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Where to buy a replacement Jeep key?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTrick Tabs - NalinMFG.comECGS American Made Stub Shafts

Unread 01-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #16
trailhead2004
1980 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Chet View Post
If you can find some at a junkyard, the FSM explains how to reset the switch to match them.
The only problem with that is that you either need to:

1) Get lucky such that the "new" key has the same combination of pins, different order, as your original lock.

or

2) You have a selection of pins that you can choose from to make the correct combination

I recently read that part of the FSM for my '80 CJ and it explained that there are 5 positions and 5 pin lengths. Therefore, I think you would be pretty lucky to get the key with the same pin lengths.

trailhead

Unread 01-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #17
PavementPounder
Cool as Ice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKT View Post

This is getting interesting, and proving to be more of a challenge than I originally anticipated.

As previously stated, I am trying to get these keys made for my '77 CJ5, which I had thought still had the factory ignition...however, the working key that I have for it has the American Motors on one side, and Jeep on the other. Unless the ignition had been replaced with a newer one that I am unaware of...

My current key looks identicle to the bottom two (the square headed ones)!

I appreciate all the info thus far guys...
I believe I still have pairs of new key blanks (or at least some ignition keys) for far less than that ridiculous $26 price. I can't recall from memory what was on them, but I know they are not the pentagram type. I believe they say AMC and Jeep. PM me if interested and I can check when I get home.

<--- Click "Classifieds" under my avatar to see all my parts (mostly CJ & XJ) currently for sale on JeepForum!
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 03:37 PM   #18
Pog
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7VFR View Post
It all depends on the person I guess.

I agree with you, that yes, they do indeed cost more than just going to
Home Depot and buying two generic keys. But some people not only like the
look of factory stuff, but it makes your rig worth more if you have
OEM parts on it verus japo replacement parts.

I sold my old original black center console a few years ago for over $130.00
all because I had an original "Jeep" branded key for the lock!

I saw some with generic keys going for less than half that. So the extra cost
of an OEM key more than paid for itself for me.

I look at it this way. I can spend 26 bucks easily sucking down some beers
on a friday or saturday night. And after the buzz wears off, what am I left with?

If I skip just one day of beer, I can have an OEM set of keys for my Jeep,
that not only will make it worth more, but the coolness factor will be there
every single day I put that key in the ignition.

But that's just me.

Jim
I'm in the same boat with you. The factory keys round out the whole restoration thing for me. So, I spent the money on E-bay to have them. It was also not just for the ignition key, but for the center console / glove box key. I have wasted more money on much lesser things. Anybody ever been to Vegas? Besides, it's hard to justify any money spent on a CJ and pass the "red face" test.

BTW, my '84 has the GM style key / ignition tumbler. Most of the aftermarket key tumblers I have purchased were for some reason the later model AMC style with different pattern key blanks.

Regards
Pog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #19
IDK

I have the square headed one that has the AMC logo and says "American Motors" on it, probably the original, I've never seen the one with "Jeep" on it before?
Unread 01-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #20
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavementPounder View Post

PM me if interested and I can check when I get home.
PM sent, and fingers crossed...

Thanks a lot!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDK View Post

I have the square headed one that has the AMC logo and says "American Motors" on it, probably the original, I've never seen the one with "Jeep" on it before?
Whats on the other side of yours, or does it say American Motors on both sides?

Mine is square headed, and has the AMC logo on both sides. Under the logo on one side reads, "American Motors" and the other side reads, "Jeep".

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 05:19 PM   #21
IDK

Mine is the same on both sides.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.