Where the >>BLEEP<< can I get decent battery terminals?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Where the >>BLEEP<< can I get decent battery terminals??

Jeep Liberty Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontSAVE BIG: Christmas in July Sale!Jeep Liberty Window Regulator

Unread 04-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #16
gwolff
1978 CJ7 

Napa has the quality parts and can also crimp the ends. Solder when you get home then heat shrink.
+1 on jeep hammers post(s) as usual.

gwolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #17
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
Since I discovered them I like these military type terminals;

This enables us to use the welding wire that JeepHammer mentions in his outstanding posts.

Even more recently I found a seller of these rubber booties for 'em (where were these guys when I had a '69 VW Bug);

turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #18
Vitabrevis
1985 CJ7 

When I worked at a chain auto parts store I had to change dozens of terminals with the universal ends. I don't think any of them ever fit snug, they sell shims for few bucks. I did see one idiot make his own shims out of a beer can....
Vitabrevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #19
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by james04si View Post
My PO changed over to a battery with side posts that screw in vs the regular top posts and that's one of the few "upgrades" that I kept. We won't discuss the wooden shelf he built on the inside of the fender to set the battery on without holding it down at all. Only problem I have had was the wonderful Walmart employees that said a battery with side posts would never work in my jeep because the book didn't specify that battery.
"Side posts" are a GM "innovation" - done to help lower hoodlines, without having to lower the battery in the engine bay.

GM took a few years, but they figured out that side posts are difficult for a number of high-current applications - not enough cooling airflow over the terminal/pad assembly, and large engines or extensive high loads can heat the pads up to the point where they melt right out of the battery case!

Most battery manufacturers recommend a limit of 75A through the side posts pad for more than a few minutes, for that reason. (That, and lead melts at low temperatures.) The exception is Odyssey - I believe they use brass, nickel brass, or nickel-plated brass for their pads, I haven't checked. But, they say "No problem" - even for a winch! I haven't had a change to verify how or why.

Based on information gathered from Exide, International, Autolite, and Optima, I typically recommend using side posts for accessory distribution up to 75A constant-duty, up to about 200A for infrequent use (up to two minutes out of an hour,) and not for winching at all!

Nota Bene: Starter motor loads for our beloved AMC sixes typically run 110-130A (no load) or 160-180A (cranking current.) Plan accordingly.
Unread 04-16-2013, 01:59 AM   #20
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-90 View Post

Nota Bene: Starter motor loads for our beloved AMC sixes typically run 110-130A (no load) or 160-180A (cranking current.) Plan accordingly.
What do you mean by "110-130 amps NO LOAD" ????

Spark plugs out, throttle open, turning the engine over or starter spinning freely not connected?

Either way it should only take a few seconds to start an AMC i6 so if the post is clean ad tight, there should be no problem with overheating the side post terminals.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 07:41 PM   #21
james04si

1977 CJ5 

Right there with you john. I have had mine for the 15 years I have owned mine and never had any issues. My old 232 used to crank for a good 20 secs before it would start cold.(new 258 cranks immediately with TBI) that being said the most drain I had on mine was probably my old stereo with 3 amps for a total of 2800 watts. I don't have a winch though.
james04si is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.