Where is ballast resistor exactly? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Where is ballast resistor exactly?

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-21-2004, 06:31 PM   #1
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Where is ballast resistor exactly?

I've searched and searched. I did the TFI upgrade tonight, I didn't see a ballast resisitor, but I also do not know what it looks light or where it is. Is it close the coil end? Or is it something I have to trace deep into the wiring harness? If someone could describe it and give an estimate as to how far away from the coil it is that would be helpful. Thanks.

I read where most people said it made a night and day difference, but I really only feel a slightly smoother idle and acceleration, but no more power than before. Wondering if I'm missing something here.

Unread 10-21-2004, 07:36 PM   #2
amc232

Usually it is a resistor wire. It is the red w/T wire from the coil + side that goes through the firewall. The wire has a 1.35 ohms of resistance. The wire T's off of the ignition wire. It continues to the starter soleniod. When you turn the ignition key it charges the soleniod, this gives the coil 12 volts. Once the engine starts and you return the key to run position the solenoid shuts off its lead to the coil. The resistance wire from the ignition switch then charges the coil with around 6 volts while the engine is running. This keeps the coil from overloading. If you are replacing the old system with a one wire, or voltage controlled system then you want to run a new wire from the ignition switch output to the new unit, then you may remove the wire that was from the soleniod.
hope this helps
amc232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2004, 04:14 AM   #3
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

No that confused me more. I understand how it is wired, I need to physically know where the resistor is in the wire. Then I can cut it out and remove the wire from the solenoid as you said.
Unread 10-22-2004, 05:11 AM   #4
amc232

Thats just it, it is the wire that provides the resistance. I supose though, by the way these are usually wired, that the section of wire( the section going to the coil+), that is spliced into the ignition wire may be the section that provided resistance. To be safe though, I would just replace the whole wire from the ignition switch to the coil.
amc232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2004, 02:03 PM   #5
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, I checked the voltage at the coil+ and it was only 4.8 volts. Obviously not much at all. Pulled the wiring harness apart and found that resistor wire was all melted up and had bare wire showing along the whole length of the wire. Don't know what happened there, just old or something. Weird looking wire. Anyway, all new wiring is in and I get 12 volts to the coil. Cold idle still sucks, but there is a difference in acceleration and warm idle. The coil doesn't get hot at all. Thanks for the help.
Unread 10-25-2004, 12:45 PM   #6
knifeboy2

On my '77 CJ-5 with 304 the ballast resistor was underneith my voltage regulator. It looked like a peice of wire wrapped around a peice of ceramic.
Unread 10-25-2004, 01:00 PM   #7
Dimension4

Can you just go to Radio Shack and buy a 1.35 Ohm high power capable resistor to splice into your lead?
Dimension4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2004, 09:54 PM   #8
grady adams

Location: Jacksonville, Alabama,where the men are men and the sheep are nervous!
The tech support at http://www.centechwire.com/ Told me mine was at the firewall electrical plug for the engine wiring compartment.

I never saw mine but he assured me it was there, in the wiring, and I know it has one cause he said so.

Shady Grady
1982 CJ7, deep pearl white. Built 258 cu 6cly. Weber carb, 4 wheel disc brakes, 200 amp mean green alternator, heated seats, grant steering wheel, centech wiring harness, msd ignition with rev limiters, new wheels and 33' goodrich tires, detroit lockers front and rear, tom woods driveshaft, automatic transmission, dana 300, E-12000 milemarker winch with remote control, Borla hedder, 410 gears
grady adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2004, 01:36 PM   #9
knifeboy2

On the Centech harness which is aftermarket.......that is exactly where it is. Its a peice of ceramic a couple inches long with a wire screwed into each end. One side of it is hollow and has a wire coiled around a tube inside that you can see. That is your ballast resistor on that harness.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.