When it Rains it pours!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > When it Rains it pours!!

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 12-08-2002, 05:57 PM   #1
JoKing045

When it Rains it pours!!

OK... well for starts there are two things I am passionate about... my 1986 Jeep CJ-7 and the computer. Not until now in a time of despiration have I decided to combine the two in hopes of benifiting the other. My 1986 Jeep CJ-7 is as stock as you can get, EVERYTHING original from pain to seats to decals and is in wonderful conditon with only 40,000 miles on it. Just recently on a road trip I was forced to stomp on the breaks to prevent an accident. From then on braking has never been the same, now when I try to stop I have to press in the gas to rev the engin at the same time I am braking otherwise it will stall where it stands. There is a deffinite leak of air comming from someplace (sounds like from under the dash) very audible from inside the Jeep. If anyone has any advice on how to return my brakes to their original functioning mannor please post it . I can't stop without stalling.

JoKing045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2002, 06:21 PM   #2
MudLover

I don't get the air sound behind the dash, but my '82 loves to stall at every stop. I know this doesn't help you, but maybe we can both get something good outta this. I ajusted my choke plate and that helped a wee bit, but not very much.
Marc
[B][COLOR=darkred]Red Jeep Club Member #2[/COLOR][/B]
MudLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2002, 06:26 PM   #3
iralplvr

Sounds like a problem with the vaccum booster but I'm not sure, Sorry I cant help more but this might give you a place to start.
Unread 12-08-2002, 06:40 PM   #4
JoKing045

I too once had a problem with the stop sign stall dilema but after a new carb and a tune with a little adjustment to the choke it was fixed.

HERE IS SOMETHING YOU MAY WANT TO LOOK AT FOR THE CARB...
www.jeeptech.com/engine/carter.html

now back to the brakes. For some reason when I press the breaks down there is what sounds like air being leaked from somewhere (where I dont know exactly it sounds like it is comming form uner the dash). The Jeep doesn't stall due to rough idle or anything like that it has to do with that leak where ever that leak is, it somehow causes a loss in either vaccum pressure or something. I also noticed that on my 86' CJ there is a vaccum line comming from the bottom of my carb to the brake booster. I asked a guy at Dicsount Auto what he thought about it and he said something about a proportioning valve... but not only do I not know what that is but I also don't know what it does and those are two things I like to know before going into a project. Thanks for the advice though and if there is anymore... PLEASE POST!!
Unread 12-08-2002, 07:53 PM   #5
rustyCJ

the hose coming from the base of the carb(it should be coming from the intake)to the brake booster is a vacuum line. when you press on the brake pedal you open that line in the booster which helps to push the master cylinder piston. it sounds like you blew a seal or something inside of the booster. besides the engine probs are you having any brake problems, like is it harder to stop now? plug the vacuum line going from the carb to the booster(you will lose power brakes but you will still have brakes) and take it for a drive, if when you stop the engine keeps running normal then you have a leak in that line or something wrong with the booster. if any of that makes sense i hope it helps
Unread 12-08-2002, 11:20 PM   #6
JoKing045

Finally something that sounds like whats wrong. I have been searching for quite some time and have had no luck. Thank you for the advice everyone and "rusty" that does make alot of sense Tuesday is my day off and I am going to set forth on a mission to troubleshoot.

1) yes it is more difficult to break now since this has all happened
2) if that is the problem and it is the seals like you suggested then how would I go about fixing that. Is it at all possible to do a rebuild? Would I have to buy a new booster? What would you recomend.

Once again thanks for all the advice everyone!
Unread 12-08-2002, 11:54 PM   #7
rednek

try first

There is a rubber grommet on the booster that suplies it with vaccuum. While the vehicle is running put your hand around the grommet and see if it stops. If so that is the problem. Yopu can find a replacement grommet at most parts houses for about $2.
Hope this helps - I had the same problem with my 1980. I could not get the grommet(could not find it) so I used gasket maker and let it set up. Now the problem is fixed.
3" Body lift
4" suspension lift
37 x 13 x 15 Boggers
15 x 10 Soft 5 rims
2 1/2" spacers
8000 lb Warn upright
1/4 turn hubs
Headers
CD changer and casette player w/ Orion amp and 10" bass tube, 2 - surface mount waterproof highs and 2 - 6 x 9 waterproof speakers
KC takedowns w/ homemade window mounts
Lock'd Rear
Flatfendered
Custom confederate flag paint job and DIXIE air horn
rednek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2002, 12:01 AM   #8
JoKing045

SNORKEL

Thanks I will look into that this week... about that snorkel you have I have been looking for a snorkel for my CJ for quite some time now. K&N makes a nice one for the new wranglers but I have the old CJ I6 258 ci and have been looking for one and still am empty handed. If you wouldn't mind I'd like to know how you made that and perhaps see some pictures if you have any. VERY INTERESTED!

JoKing045@msn.com
Unread 12-10-2002, 08:06 PM   #9
JoKing045

it worked thanks so much I took the vaccum hose out plugged it and no i have breaks again and I can stop without stalling. Altough I dont have power brakes I can still stop.. I have ordered a new boosted since I did blow a seal and I will be replacing that next week. Thanks alot guys.

Email me at: JoKing045@msn.com

1986 CJ-7 (completely stock)
258 I6 2bbl carb
Unread 12-10-2002, 10:08 PM   #10
K5QM

Quote:
Originally posted by JoKing045
I too once had a problem with the stop sign stall dilema but after a new carb and a tune with a little adjustment to the choke it was fixed.

HERE IS SOMETHING YOU MAY WANT TO LOOK AT FOR THE CARB...
www.jeeptech.com/engine/carter.html

now back to the brakes. For some reason when I press the breaks down there is what sounds like air being leaked from somewhere (where I dont know exactly it sounds like it is comming form uner the dash). The Jeep doesn't stall due to rough idle or anything like that it has to do with that leak where ever that leak is, it somehow causes a loss in either vaccum pressure or something. I also noticed that on my 86' CJ there is a vaccum line comming from the bottom of my carb to the brake booster. I asked a guy at Dicsount Auto what he thought about it and he said something about a proportioning valve... but not only do I not know what that is but I also don't know what it does and those are two things I like to know before going into a project. Thanks for the advice though and if there is anymore... PLEASE POST!!
K5QM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2002, 10:21 PM   #11
K5QM

CJ-7 BRAKES

Quote:
Originally posted by K5QM
YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK THE FITTING WHERE YOUR VA CUM HOSE CONNECTS TO THE BOOSTER UNIT. THIS IS NOT JUST A FITTING, BUT A ONE WAY VACUUM SWITCH. SOUNDS LIKE IT MIGHT BE OPEN ALLOWING YOUR VACUUM TO LEAK OFF. THE BOOSTER IS ACTUALLY A VACUUM RESERVOIR FOR PROPER BRAKE OPERATION WHEN YOU HAVE LOW VACUUM CONDITION.
JERRY
k5qm@arrl.net
PS: I have an '86 CJ-7 with a '91, 4.3 chevy and a 350 trany. Works great.
Unread 12-10-2002, 10:29 PM   #12
K5QM

CJ-7 BRAKES

Quote:
Originally posted by K5QM
YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK THE FITTING WHERE YOUR VACUUM HOSE CONNECTS TO THE BOOSTER UNIT. THIS IS NOT JUST A FITTING, BUT A ONE WAY VACUUM SWITCH. SOUNDS LIKE IT MIGHT BE OPEN ALLOWING YOUR VACUUM TO LEAK OFF. THE BOOSTER IS ACTUALLY A VACUUM RESERVOIR FOR PROPER BRAKE OPERATION WHEN YOU HAVE LOW VACUUM CONDITION.
JERRY
k5qm@arrl.net
PS: I have an '86 with a '91, 4.3 chevy and a 350 trany. Works great.

Last edited by K5QM; 12-10-2002 at 10:31 PM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.