When was last year for no electronic - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > When was last year for no electronic

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-27-2005, 04:53 AM   #1
jeffjeep1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

When was last year for no electronic

controls in a CJ. Yup, want to know when there were ignition points, a carb with no electric stuff on it (maybe electric heater on choke), alternator with non-computer regulator, mechanical fuel pump.
Thinking about buying an "old school" CJ and want old style electrical equipment.

THanks

Heidi - Golden Retriever/Jeep Dog
jeffjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2005, 05:36 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjeep1
controls in a CJ. Yup, want to know when there were ignition points, a carb with no electric stuff on it (maybe electric heater on choke), alternator with non-computer regulator, mechanical fuel pump.
Thinking about buying an "old school" CJ and want old style electrical equipment.

THanks
For CJ's that would be 1972-73 for points in a distributor, 1982 for a non feedback carb, 1986 for a mechanical fuel pump, and 1986 for a non computer controlled alternator.

You can always switch anything distributor on any CJ to points but why? There is no increase in reliability in running with points. It doesn't make it easier to tune up. Are you worried about an EMI burst? I've worked with points for years and was happy when they came out with electronic ignition. Computer controlled electronic ignition is great also. I think theywent a little overbard with computers in the jeep Liberty though.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2005, 07:45 PM   #3
John C

Jump on the 80-82 years. Electronic ignition (very good) and a simple non-computer controlled carb. Narrow track axles are a bummer but easier to change (legaly) than computer and emmision things.
BLUE JEEP CLUB MEMBER #156
84' Caribean Blue Laredo w/ black leather interior
Frame off restore 6 years ago
7 inch lift w/ 34" TRXUS MT
DANA 44 front Solid axle converted Model 20 rear
AMC 360 / T-400 / Model 300 transfer case
SOLD
but never forgotten

Quote:
If I can't hunt it, fish it, f**k it, or wheel it, I might not be that intrested in it
John C is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.