Wheeling with a hardtop on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Wheeling with a hardtop on

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 11-04-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
IDK

Wheeling with a hardtop on

I don't know how many times I'm going to be able to take my Acme on and off without damaging my fiberglass body, so I decided just to have the doors off during summer. Is there any cons of wheeling with a hardtop? Does it affect the balance of the Jeep? Some trails I go on get a little hairy and challenging and I need to know what the extra weight will affect. What are the pros of wheeling with a hardtop?

IDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 06:04 PM   #2
OlivergreenCJ7
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDK View Post
I don't know how many times I'm going to be able to take my Acme on and off without damaging my fiberglass body, so I decided just to have the doors off during summer. Is there any cons of wheeling with a hardtop? Does it affect the balance of the Jeep? Some trails I go on get a little hairy and challenging and I need to know what the extra weight will affect. What are the pros of wheeling with a hardtop?

Well you run the risk of damaging the top anyway on trees and kiss it good bye in a roll over. I ran my CJ like that one fall and absolutely hated the lack of visibility. If it's not your DD a toneau, bikini, and windjammer work well. I run that combo with soft doors so I can still throw the doors in the back. Maybe you should get a hoist if your that worried about your top. cut a 2x4 down for the width to keep the top from bowing out when not and use. Should be good to go.
Unread 11-04-2009, 06:08 PM   #3
IDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlivergreenCJ7 View Post
Well you run the risk of damaging the top anyway on trees and kiss it good bye in a roll over. I ran my CJ like that one fall and absolutely hated the lack of visibility. If it's not your DD a toneau, bikini, and windjammer work well. I run that combo with soft doors so I can still throw the doors in the back. Maybe you should get a hoist if your that worried about your top. cut a 2x4 down for the width to keep the top from bowing out when not and use. Should be good to go.
The Jeep has a fiberglass body and dosen't it damage it every time you keep taking the bolts out and putting them back in?
Unread 11-04-2009, 06:10 PM   #4
SKT
1981 CJ7 

Don't think there are too many "pros" with wheeling a hardtop, especially if you have a good heater. I can think of several "cons" and most of them were mentioned by Oliver.

It is all up to you though. I say try it out, and see how you like it.

I plan to keep mine on for most wheeling, and just remove the doors and rear hatch.

Can you post some pics of your '5 with the hardtop? Especially wheeling pics. We could use some new pics in your Acme pic thread...I don't recall you posting any pics of your own rig there!

Here is a pic of a '5 that I have found with an Acme top doing some mild trail riding.

Click here to see thousands of 'Abandoned and Neglected' Jeeps rotting away...
SKT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2009, 06:45 PM   #5
IDK

SKT I'm not allowed to post pics yet.
Unread 02-04-2012, 05:39 AM   #6

I rolled my first CJ7 with the hard top on and the fiberglass tore leaving sharp edges that cut one of my passengers deep enough to put her in ICU. I would spend some time building a hoist to lift it and a custom rack to store it on that rests the weight properly and doesnt let it spread.
10129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
DirtRoadOK
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I don't understand the problem. I get one other person to help with the lift and it takes 15 minutes to remove the top or 30 minutes to replace the top. NO damage has been done to either the top or the tub by removing/replacing the top. I have an electric hoist, but I don't use it for the top because it is so much faster and easier with a 2nd person. I have a metal tub, but I don't see how there would be any damage from the bolts, regardless of the tub material.
DirtRoadOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #8
GPER
1979 CJ7 

I take my top off in the spring, put it back on after Thanksgiving, and I do it all from a tree in the front yard.
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

The bolts still thread into metal nuts in the fiberglass tub don't they? If so it should not be an issue.

I have mine on for winter and do light 4 wheeling. I don't do anything to roll it and would much rather have the top off.

I believe it weighs less that 100 pounds and is spread out so I don't think that is any more of an issue than another passenger.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.