Is this wheel restorable? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Is this wheel restorable?

CurrieZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 10-07-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
Boover
1985 CJ7 

Is this wheel restorable?

I am looking at buying a set of chrome wagon wheels for my 85 Laredo. Wondering if a set of wheels in this condition has any chance of being restored to looking halfway decent. Thanks!

Unread 10-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
wm69

If you have flaking chrome (not clearcoat, but the actual chrome) or pits (where rust has eaten through the chrome) in the metal, then no, it won't be easily restored (restorating being like new).

I think that wheel will clean up ok. Just use some aircraft stripper and get the old clear coat off, then respray it with clear coat or leave it bare chrome. From what I can see in the pics that looks to be in good shape, so should clean up well.

One set of mine looked like yours, and they cleaned up great. The other set I had some minor rust pits around the inner ring, and they still look good, but I have to peridically clean them up again as once you get pits in the surface they will rust again.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

I agree with wm69. Those appear to be in great condition. The clear on these wheels tend to flake and yellow over the years which can be very unflattering to the eye.
Take some air craft remover and get the current clear off of them.
DO NOT GET LAZY AND PULL OUT THE PRESSURE WASHER!!! I did this with a set that I had and peeled off a good portion of the chrome plating. The thing is, I couldn't see any signs of the chrome peeling prior to pulling out the pressue washer.
Anyways, make sure you look over the wheels. If you're buying them from some yahoo on the other side of the country, make sure you get pictures of all the wheels with close ups so you can see if they are starting to pepper or have any rust. I was taken by a fellow site members for close to 9 bills for the set I currently have. I have since licked my wounds, but will be ready at anytime to put a boot up this kids azz if I ever see him in person....
Unread 10-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
Boover
1985 CJ7 

Thanks for the advice. I figure if I can get them for the right price they'll work well for me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.