wheel locked up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > wheel locked up

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-26-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
tjturtle
1978 CJ5 

wheel locked up

The day before this happened I went wheeling and drove her home. She drive fine the three miles home. The next day I was about five miles out and the right front wheel started grinding, then locked up, gave a loud pop, freed back up but continued grinding.
Got her home, tore it down to the spindle, nothing. Put it back together and she drives fine.
I don't want this happening in the highway....should I replace the bearings or hub anyways? They are near new....
Thanks....

tjturtle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 12:01 AM   #2
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

That almost sounds like a brake sticking. How bad was the grinding?

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 12:13 AM   #3
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

You should fill out your profile so we know what you're dealing with but I agree that sounds like a sticking brake caliper.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 12:21 AM   #4
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I've never had a bearing go from bad to good, but I have had stuck brakes loosen up spontaneously. The u-joints are OK? They can make all kinds of grinding and popping noises.

We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #188
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 06:31 AM   #5
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

You really should fill out your profile if you want the best advice....

So the 'wheel' bearings are ok. That leaves the spindle bearings in the core of the spindle that the axle spins on 'If you still have the hubs locked' or a bad U-joint, again if the hubs are locked.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
tjturtle
1978 CJ5 

Sorry about the profile. Between my naps and the honeydo list I usually just wear out the search button when I have a question.
Thanks for trying to help me regardless.
As soon as I finish this post I will get right on it.
It's a 78 CJ5 Renegade, all stock suspension but for some shackles that I replaced and the usual wearable items.

I know it wasn't the spindle bearings and u-joints because I was riding down the road in 2wd, with unlocked hubs...sorry shoulda made that clear.

When I took the wheel off and turned the hub, I could hear and feel the grind - once per revolution, not a constant grind. Dismounted the calipers, same thing.

When I took it down to the spidle, the spindle turned fine, looked good, turned good. All the bearings looked clean and when mounted spun fine. I couldn't even find any major scuffing...and by that I mean something I could feel...not the slightest roughness on the spindle.

I even cleaned out as much of the grease as I could and looked where the bearings mounted - didn't see anything.

The only thing I found down there was that the seal was bad.

Off to update the profile.

Once again, sorry about the profile not being filled out and not mentioned the 2WD/unlocked hub status.

Last edited by tjturtle; 02-27-2010 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: spelling baby, spelling
Unread 02-27-2010, 07:54 AM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjturtle View Post
When I took the wheel off and turned the hub, I could hear and feel the grind - once per revolution, not a constant grind. Dismounted the calipers, same thing.
<snip>

The only thing I found down there was that the seal was bad.
I would guess that maybe you picked up a rock through that bad seal or even had one caught in that rotor splash guard thing. I have done this from wheeling and rocks make bad grinds until they crumble.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2010, 08:45 AM   #8
tjturtle
1978 CJ5 

So no worries then?

Thanks for all the help guys. I know I don't post much, but I have taken all of my advice/plans from answers/searches here, and have always been happy with the results.

Most of the time, I find that anything I could ask has already been asked a few hundred times over.

Profile updated

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.