Wheel Bearing Noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Wheel Bearing Noise

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
robs7
1983 CJ7 

Wheel Bearing Noise

Hey guys, quick question. Driving my CJ lately I have noticed a chirping sound coming from my rear passenger wheel at slow speeds. Can't really hear it above about 25 but that doesn't mean it's not there. Braking doesn't change it at all. Would this be a sign of a dry wheel bearing or one getting ready to go out? Thanks in advance! Rob

robs7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
MoC
1986 CJ7 

Hey Rob,

Jack up the rear end and pull / wiggle on the wheel. If you get some movement then the bearing is going.
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 06:12 AM   #3
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoC View Post
Hey Rob,

Jack up the rear end and pull / wiggle on the wheel. If you get some movement then the bearing is going.
You can also spin the wheel and listen. A grinding noise at the hub is your wheel bearing.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
robs7
1983 CJ7 

10-4 gentleman, thank you. I will jack it up early this week and figure it out. Rob
Unread 07-12-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
robs7
1983 CJ7 

Alright, just wanted to sum up what I found. I lifted the back end and could wiggle the rear wheel a bit. I took the center cap off and found the castle nut loose. Pulled the pin, snugged it up and then backed it off just a hair. Put the pin back in, took it for a drive and the noise is gone. I came across something else to ask about though. How much free play should the rear driveshaft have? With transmission in gear, I can rotate it about 1/8 turn and get a clunking sound in the transfer case. Is this normal? If not, what is it a sign of. Thanks, Rob
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

NEVER, EVER back off that nut!
Tighten to the next slot.
Do the same on the other side while your at it.
The torque spec for that nut is somedangthing like 240 ft/lbs.
T'case is fine, you just tak'n up all the gear slop.
LG
LumpyGrits is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:17 PM   #7
robs7
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits
NEVER, EVER back off that nut!
Tighten to the next slot.
Do the same on the other side while your at it.
The torque spec for that nut is somedangthing like 240 ft/lbs.
T'case is fine, you just tak'n up all the gear slop.
LG
I was under the understanding that too tight was bad. I remember doing the front and it needed a certain torque that wasn't very high. So the back is different? I will crank it down some more and I appreciate the heads up. Rob
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Front and rear are Apples to Onions by comparison. Your doing nothing to the rear bearing when you tighten that rear axle nut.
The best thing you could do is put in a set of Moser 1 piece axles and get rid of the POS, OEM 2-piece AMC crap.
Another thing you really need to do is buy a Factory Service Manual for your Jeep. This so you don't make those types of mistakes again.
Lean HARD on the axle nut!
Good luck,
LG
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
robs7
1983 CJ7 

I have the manual. Did it in the parking lot at work without it though so my mistake still. Thanks LG, I owe you one! Rob
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Unread 07-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #11
texas1al
1984 CJ7 

Do as LG said, couple extra pointers - apply the parking brake hard and put the transmission in neutral. With that much torque and if the other wheel is grounded, you can actually turn over the engine through the drivetrain (not damaging or anything, but something you don't want to do nevertheless.) To get satisfactory torque, you'll probably need a section of pipe on the end of a breaker bar for added leverage. Wear eye protection. I broke a 1/2 craftsman breaker at the socket hinge doing this. Sears employee looked at me pretty strange, but gave me a new one anyway.
texas1al is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #12
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Sorry, don't agree with the p'brake deal at all.
Put it in first gear & low-range. Block the wheels(at least 2 of them)and get at it.
Like I said. IIRC, The torque is somedangthing like 250ft/lbs. Don't try this with a 'crescent' wrench, it WILL slip and round the nut. Check your FSM to confirm the torque this
Do it 'rite'........Get some Moser 1 piece axles and be done with it!
LG
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #13
robs7
1983 CJ7 

Jacked up or on the floor? Does it matter? Going after a socket now to do it this evening. Rob
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:36 AM   #14
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Definitly go with a 3/4 drive breaker bar. Put about a 4' piece of Pipe on it and stand on it with your full weight and jump on it.
Do not loosen the nut to get the kotter pin in. Do What you need to do to get it to the next slot.
Repeat the process after driving it for a few days.

I always did it With the jeep on the ground.

Sent from my HTC One SV using JeepForum
Unread 07-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #15
texas1al
1984 CJ7 

FSM says to tighten it with wheel on, vehicle on the ground, parking brake applied. To do this, you'd have to remove wheel center caps and axle dust shield. Torque is 250 ft/lbs as LG said.
texas1al is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.