What's your preference, Manual or Auto tranny? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What's your preference, Manual or Auto tranny?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

View Poll Results: Which trans do you prefer?
Manual 57 75.00%
Auto 19 25.00%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 12-31-2009, 10:10 AM   #16
JeepnBlake
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm with happy joe on this one.

I use my cj as a plow vehicle now, so it's out in the snow and ice a lot. Driving the cj on ice gets pretty sketchy especially when you don't know you're on ice until you hit the brakes and lock up all 4 tires. In this instance a lower gear, and let out the clutch and you're slowing down in control of the situation.

Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...thread-985907/
Dad's Build Thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/d...build-1474170/
OEM Fog Light Connectors, Conversions, and Extension Info:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/o...ngler-1008928/
JeepnBlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2009, 10:16 AM   #17
dr_hunt
1976 CJ7 

I have a manual in most of my vehicles, big trucks, diesel p/u's, but auto's in my race cars and now in the jeep. For what we do with the jeep and our terrain, it's the best option. Running to town, trails and hunting it leaves the hands free and is a pleasure to drive. I think the 3500 stall was alittle much though, probably would be better with a 2800 stall or so. Maybe soon I'll change it.
dr_hunt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2009, 01:26 PM   #18
m2rtin
1986 CJ7 

Yes, the auto/manual thing is pretty old and maybe dumb. But God created men with two legs,...one for the accelerator and brake pedal and second for the e-brake and light switching.

I think driving brings down craft of driving. You see, when You are capable person, You could drive manual with no clutch, no sinchronization even ...except for pulling off. But to drive automatic brings a bit of art too...

not everyone behaves to his gearbox correctly, if You wait for the green light and You have your foot down on clutch and in gear, you're a boob. If you're standing on both brake and gass pedal, you're no different, the difference of wearing are of course very different and so are the concequences...
m2rtin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2009, 04:47 PM   #19
retrofit9
1979 CJ7 

auto for muddin... fast response to high rpm's, manual for trails... better control. for me anyway.
retrofit9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2009, 08:04 PM   #20
1976j10
1976 J-Series Truck 

I'm going with manual. I feel like I have more control over the vehicle in a manual. It's also more fun to drive.
1976j10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2010, 08:41 AM   #21
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Wow!
I'm kind of surprised that the manual is preferred over auto by over 3/1,

I have an entire manual drive train that I am considering replacing the Quadra-Trac system with, but I'm still on the fence. I'm just not a fan of it, although not having to lock hubs is a plus....

Any thoughts on this?
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2010, 09:10 AM   #22
Johnnylaw
1986 CJ7 

Well I gues I will throw one out there for Auto. I used to be a hardcore stick guy, but now I like to just point my rig at what I want to climb and hit the gas. I have no problems 4 wheeling with an auto, just point and gas. If you dont want it to shift gears, then put it in first gear, no worries. Having a clutch is a PITA in my opinion.
Unread 01-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #23
dmjonez

1971 CJ5 

Auto for daily driving, errands, and rush-hour traffic. Manual for my old Jeep, just because it's more involved and fun to drive. I got the old Jeep in order to teach my son to drive a stick, and kept it.

I have cars with both...
dmjonez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2010, 07:34 PM   #24
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Wow.. I'm gonna get beat down in this thread.. give me an auto for everything!!

I do like having a stick for hot rodding around town in my CJ5.

However, on the trail, an auto, 4 to 1 transfer case, and steep gearing are my preferred setup.

Matter of fact, I'm really thinking about stuffing an auto in my CJ5 just to see if I can pull it off. Of course, I'll cheat a bit with a rear 4 link...

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2010, 08:53 PM   #25
semikrazy
1976 CJ5 

I have 13 forward gears in my big truck and I do find myself in stop and go traffic often. Either auto or manual in a 4wheeler is fine by me. My F-250 is an auto my Jeep is a 3speed manual. I just been reading here that people down shift their manual transmission to slow down even when they are towing so they don't wear out their brakes. Ask yourself this, whats cheaper brakes or a clutch. I believe brakes are cheaper to replace than a clutch. I don't downshift to slow me down, in my Jeep or my big truck.
semikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2010, 09:38 PM   #26
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Given a choice I'll take the auto. Now and again it's kinda fun to jump in a manual but soon thereafter... trails or city I miss the convenience of driving without all the shifting.
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-02-2010, 10:20 PM   #27
kw89425
1986 CJ7 

i own a semi i deal with 15 gears all day every day in all kinds of conditions and traffic. automatics are great for women and old people. im just 43 so i say manuel. as far as 3 pedals on the trail all i can say is linelock and shift knob with a button there you go back to 2 pedals.
kw89425 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 08:34 AM   #28
nitor
1985 CJ7 

I don't think a jeep should have an automatic trans.

Jim

1985 CJ7
nitor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 09:06 AM   #29
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

I understand every time you disengage/engage a clutch there is wear, but I believe it is minimal IF you can actually drive a manual. Those arguments about downshifting wearing the clutch out vs the brakes, unless you are really slipping it when you downshift there should be very little wear - I downshift the same as I upshift, very little slippage, then I let off the gas.

Those entioning they drive a big truck - you mean you never use the Jake? Gotta downshift to use it...

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2010, 09:12 AM   #30
kw89425
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
I understand every time you disengage/engage a clutch there is wear, but I believe it is minimal IF you can actually drive a manual. Those arguments about downshifting wearing the clutch out vs the brakes, unless you are really slipping it when you downshift there should be very little wear - I downshift the same as I upshift, very little slippage, then I let off the gas.

Those entioning they drive a big truck - you mean you never use the Jake? Gotta downshift to use it...

i use the jake. i only use the clutch when taking off other than that i never use the clutch shifting up or down
kw89425 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.