What's your preference, Manual or Auto tranny? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What's your preference, Manual or Auto tranny?

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

View Poll Results: Which trans do you prefer?
Manual 57 75.00%
Auto 19 25.00%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 12-30-2009, 10:24 PM   #1
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

What's your preference, Manual or Auto tranny?

Like the title says, which trans do you prefer, and why?

2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
Death_Eagle_571
1976 CJ5 

I personally like the better control of the engine with my Manual, even tho its only a T-150 3-Speed.
Death_Eagle_571 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
plowboy87
2005 TJ Wrangler 

downshifting. how else are you going to stop a 3000+ pound trailer without warping your rotors?
plowboy87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2009, 10:53 PM   #4
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Auto, its a slow jeep that you are going to be driving slow, why the hell would I want to play with a clutch or shift gears?

Say you live by the corner store, like 8 blocks away.

you have 4 turns with lights between you and the store, plus parking
get in, depress clutch, start vehicle, slowly let clutch out, clutch shift into second. Clutch and brake to stop at the stop sign at the end of the road. continue to hold the clutch in the whole time you wait for an opening.
Turn, shift up thru the gears and drive down the main drag at 40 / 45mph.

clutch and brakes for the next stop light. wait to turn holding the clutch in.
turn, go thru the gears again, just to drive down the road to the next turn, and go into the parking lot, not you have to do that all over again, for a 5 MINUTE DRIVE

Auto, get in, start the rig, foot on brake, shift to d, drive to end of street, foot on brake, turn, drive to end of the street, foot on brake, turn, drive to parking lot, foot on brake turn. stop, put rig in park, go get milk, repeat.

Now you see how retard a manual transmission is for a daily driver, this isnt a road race.

I've towed plenty without warping my rotors with over 5k behind me and no trailer brakes. There isnt a need to down shift.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2009, 11:38 PM   #5
MikeMCJ
1951 M-38 

I had a Honda Rubicon. It had the best transmission I've ever had, in any type of motor vehicle. ESP = manual selection of 5 gears at the push of a button - was something that can only be experienced. I like to choose how I use momentum. It is definitely easier with an auto, but not as much fun most of the time. As I get older it doesn't matter as much as it used to, but I had a choice of auto or clutchless manual with the Rubicon. If Jeep could mate that with a diesel, I'd buy one new
MikeMCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2009, 12:21 AM   #6
Chuckles0227
1980 CJ5 

i like the control of a manual, i also like it the most in the winter so i can just downshift instead of using the brakes all the time. This is my first manual tranny vehicle and after only 1000 miles i don't even notice when i clutch or shift.
Chuckles0227 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2009, 12:43 AM   #7
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

There's no "depends on what I'm doing" button!

I like manual for every day driving, all 3 of my vehicles are manuals. I like Manual because usually get better MPG, Less maintenance/repair cost, better control of the power, more fun. Plus I am always leery of Chrysler-based autos.

If I was doing a lot of off road, I would almost have to say Auto. Better control of things without having to operate 3 pedals with 2 feet. I know many put a remote throttle control so they can control that with their hand, but I think an auto would allow smoother operation for some critical predicaments you can get yourself in that would require some finesse to get out of. Then I'd want an Auto, and probably a TH400, since it is a GM-based auto.

Overall, Manual would win though, since I am rarely off road for now. I would love to build a rig as a more trail worthy vehicle, better cage, winch, etc, etc. It'd be either a '7, YJ or TJ. I like my '5 looking stock, and just don't want change it. But I think the '7 would be an auto.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2009, 01:50 AM   #8
qwik

I grow tired of chunking gears.
Unread 12-31-2009, 04:23 AM   #9
_Kyle_
2008 WK 

I definitely like my manuals, but in city driving, they get kinda old fast...especially my CJ with non hydraulic clutch and all.

1996 Grand Cherokee

RIP Troy (bigbluezj94)

1996 ZJ FOR SALE
_Kyle_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2009, 06:08 AM   #10
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Manual any day even though my current rig has a TH400 (for now).

You can't compression brake with an auto, and the 6.38 first gear is great on the trails.

On the street, I prefer an auto. I used to drive from Long Island City to Baldwin after work every day and it's about a 2 hour drive to go 12 miles in bumper to bumper traffic. Having a stick was a real PITA.

First gear, move 15 feet, shift to second, stop, repeat. It gets real old quick.
Unread 12-31-2009, 07:29 AM   #11
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I prefer a manual in all of my vehicles. We dont have to much bumper to bumper traffic where I live. It is just one more fun thing that my Jeep has, that most dont. And when someone asks to drive it- most can't.
Unread 12-31-2009, 07:43 AM   #12
Bubba Ray
1984 CJ7 

Manual until my knee gives out.
Bubba Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2009, 07:58 AM   #13
duffer
1955 CJ3B 

The manual/auto debate is as old as the auto trans. They both have their place. That said, the last auto equiped vehicle I had was a long time back-90 Ford F150 and I hated that truck. All of my vehicles are now manuals and either all wheel or four wheel drive and I have no intention of ever buying another vehicle with an auto trans. The sticks (at least the good ones) are certainly less maintenance if you run something over 150k.
duffer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-31-2009, 08:02 AM   #14
IDK

Manuel because it is traditional for a 4x4 and it is the only thing that works in a CJ5 flawlessly although you can put a auto in a CJ5 you have to change all your drive shafts and a whole lot of screwing around, I'll stick with my manuel! Plus the downhill compression and using the motor as the brake is way more convinent than trying to scale a steep hill with only your brakes.
Unread 12-31-2009, 08:30 AM   #15
Happy Joe
1985 CJ7 

Manual primarily because they have never left me stranded, but also because of their superior engine braking;
I have had autos fail around town out of state on trips and in the mountains. The tow bill sometimes exceeds the cost of fixing it. Once I had to purchase another car to return home.

I have come close to personal injury because of a brake failure that happened on a steep hill when hauling a heavy load with an auto, (saved by a very shallow spot in the ditch which gave me an opportunity to avoid the other vehicles) neither low gear nor the e-brake did much good (neither did jamming it into reverse and standing on the throttle); a manual would not have needed the brakes.

In terms of off road driving preference;
I have seen several autos where the vehicle was in the middle of a hill and could neither go up nor spin the tires (engine running).
I have seen several vehicles run down hills out of control (one backward) because the engine quit and the power brakes no longer worked well enough to stop the vehicle (most autos provide no engine braking if the engine quits). One vehicle was essentially destroyed (no injuries) the other 2 had no damage (no injuries).

Some prefer autos for full blown crawlers because the slippage in the transmission effectively doubles the crawl ratio; if I were building a tube frame rock buggy I might considerer an auto for this reason (as it would need a tow vehicle, to get to the trails, the chances of being stranded would be nil).

My CJ-7 came with an auto (what a POS, both around town and in the mountains) one trip and I converted it to a 5 speed. I've been grinning ever since...

Enjoy!

Carburetors became obsolete during the last century... do what ever it takes to get fuel injection...It makes bigger grins off road.
Happy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.