Whats wrong with my windshield??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Whats wrong with my windshield???

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 05-19-2008, 08:24 PM   #1
J98cherokee
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Whats wrong with my windshield???

Everything on my jeep is jerry rigged from the PO so now Ive got a new top and it doesnt want to fit quite right.

The hardware obviously isnt original but the only problem im having is hooking the front under the lip mounted on top of the windshield. It looks like the orginal hardware didnt have that extra curve, i think im gonna just cut an inch of each side assuming thats what the original was like??

Ive also got a pretty large gap between the door and the windshield but my measurement from top of windshield to rear is 66 1/2 inches. One inch shorter then the instructions. If I move the windshield back to close the gap it will probly be off two inches then. Any ideas?

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...5/IMG_0334.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...5/IMG_0338.jpg

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/i...5/IMG_0333.jpg

J98cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2008, 09:31 PM   #2
illinicj
1979 CJ7 

That looks like a Bestop front channel. My original didn't have that bend. Go with what fits your type of top, I suppose. Also, my buddy's YJ windshield measured perfectly per the Bestop instructions, but the windshield was too upright. We had to angle it back, further than they spec, in order for it to fit his hard doors perfectly.
illinicj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2008, 10:45 PM   #3
bigjoe
1977 CJ7 

The front channel sure does look like Besttop channel that my setup has on it. Give Besttop a call they maybe able to give you some help. Also it helps when top material is warm. Try mounting after you've have had top out in the sun for a little while before mounting. Goodluck.
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2008, 10:53 PM   #4
79BlackPearl
1979 CJ7 

I have a 79 CJ7 and the curve is factory from Bestop. Also, my Bestop bikini front edge has a 3-piece metal bar that hooks into the channel. On each side (drive & passgr) the metal bar is about 1-2" long, that fits into the curved area, and the middle piece spans the distance in the middle.

Never tried to use mine with the hard-doors, so can't help you there.

Hope this helps with the "curve" of the channel.

Guaranteed to Make $$$$ with your Computer! No Risk Involved! Simply press shift-4 four times in a row.
79BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2008, 06:53 AM   #5
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J98cherokee View Post
Everything on my jeep is jerry rigged from the PO so now Ive got a new top and it doesnt want to fit quite right.

The hardware obviously isnt original but the only problem im having is hooking the front under the lip mounted on top of the windshield. It looks like the orginal hardware didnt have that extra curve, i think im gonna just cut an inch of each side assuming thats what the original was like??

Ive also got a pretty large gap between the door and the windshield but my measurement from top of windshield to rear is 66 1/2 inches. One inch shorter then the instructions. If I move the windshield back to close the gap it will probly be off two inches then. Any ideas?

Is this a CJ7 or CJ5?

Well it is a Bestop Supertop channel as mentioned. So are those side stops on the wind shield on the inside. Did you get a Bestop Supertop?

All that hardware looks as if it's for a Supertop

If you got a Tiger top then you're going to need OEM hardware.

When you got the new top did you get new doors? Those look like the old ones.

I wonder what the snals down the side of the windshiels is for.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2008, 09:27 AM   #6
joemac421
1986 CJ7 

That window frame looks alot like the one from my 95 YJ, notice the bar mounting holes, the frame that run downs the side and the single piece with bends over the side are exactly like what I had on my YJ for the top channel.
Unread 05-20-2008, 09:41 AM   #7
J98cherokee
2003 TJ Wrangler 

update:**NOTE TO ALL**: A replace a top does in fact need original factory hardware. haha. It is close to mounting on supertop hardware...but... not close enough. Guess im an idiot. Not to mention the doors are completely different as well. Looks like I will be shopping again.

"Its a '76 cj5. I bought it from a guy on craigslist and I believe it is a replace a top that just gives the skin and uses factory hardware.
The top on before it probably was a super top hints the hardware for it which would make since in why the replace a top doesnt want to fit the windshield mounting piece.
And yes those are the old doors I had with the other top.
Another quick question. Does anyone know if I can mount the replace a top factory skins on the super top door frame besides the door handle being different??
I think it will mount ok if I cut whats needed off the curved part (thats if besttop wont sell me an individual piece). Then if I ever get a supertop I will just get new hardware with it."

Last edited by J98cherokee; 05-20-2008 at 11:06 AM..
J98cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2008, 11:01 AM   #8
CJ Chet
1986 CJ7 

Looks like those curved pieces might be bent in on the end. Had that problem with mine. Just bent them back out a little with a screwdriver.

'86 CJ7, 265 CI, DUI, TF999, Borla, Weber, 4" BDS Lift.
'04 AEV RUBICON.
'00 TJ Sahara.
CJ Chet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2008, 03:32 PM   #9
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Might want to read this if you want to see what's in a CJ5 Supertop. You can then deside if you can put on a different top.

http://cjoffroad.com/writeup.asp?WU_ID=28&noAdd=1
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.