Whats wrong with my PS pump - gets HOT - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Whats wrong with my PS pump - gets HOT

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Steinjäger photo contest!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-10-2009, 08:07 AM   #1
DuggerCJ
1975 CJ5 

Whats wrong with my PS pump - gets HOT

I am just finishing up a frame off rebuild on my 258. I fired it up the first time a couple days ago and after about 5 minutes, the PS pump was boiling hot. Fluid had started to spew out of the lid on the pump.

what the heck? bad pump?

NOTE: I have setup a hydroboost/master cyl from a 99 Astro van. I plumbed it up based on a diagram I found on here....

has anyone seen this problem before?

Unread 08-10-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
RetiredSERE

1980 CJ7 

Did you bleed the air out of the pump prior to having the engine spin it up?

Admit to Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations...

I Feel Like a Monkey F***ing a Football..
RetiredSERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
DuggerCJ
1975 CJ5 

no....I had 2 new hydralic hoses made and just plumbed it up like the diagram showed. The pump and neew lines were dry.....I put tranny fliud in the pump (since I didnt have any PS fluid handy).

air in the lines might cause this over heating? I mean I could not even touch it and the motor only ran for about 4~5 mins.
Unread 08-10-2009, 10:06 PM   #4
Fjguercio
Web Wheeler
1978 CJ7 

the tank will empty very fast when you start the engine and will need more fluid right then. Were you adding fluid when the tank level droped and kept adding??? Another words did you actually fill up the whole system?? Thats the first idea.

I have been told and seen it here many times. Flush and get the air out. I tried this but the fluid went very very very fast. I was suprised.

This is what I have seen a few times here:
Was told to raise the front end, low press hose off and in container like a milk jug, turn wheel both ways to get air out and flush out the old line rubber debree, old fluid, flush and get the air out. I did try this and the first fluid was dark but the flush went very fast 1qt goes in a few seconds like 7 seconds. My low press line was very old and the rubber rotting supplied debree to the system. The pump does take trans fluid and since will be in there a long time I used Mobil 1 Synthetic it was reasonable priced and I hope it might have better properties for the system.

I got a high pressure steering hose and the china junk failed in 900 miles, popped the external jacket, sprayed the hood, and then had a very very slow leak. The internet company did not even want to send me a new one. The China Junk was not bent right and the bend was too tight on the high pressure hose. Cheap Cheap Cheap. Oconee Off Road

ORiley sells lifetime warranty steering hoses they fit right and a good price when I cked this out. NOT EASY THING TO FIND A GOOD POWER STEERING HOSE SET FOR A CJ 6 CYLINDER. It fit better, bent right, better quality. REMEMBER ORiley HAS A NICE ONE--LIFETIME.

A little something extra for others reading this, the hose info.

Fred
Fjguercio is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.