Whats Wrong With My Jeep!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Whats Wrong With My Jeep!!

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 11-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
kannabisking
1952 CJ3A 

Whats Wrong With My Jeep!!

Ok, I bought a cj5 about a month or two ago and I tried to hook up a battery to fire it up....but once i try to attach the negative cable(after positive is attached) the engine turns over even when the key is out. so I replaced the solenoid twice and the ignition switch. after i installed both the switch and solenoid i hooked up the battery and nothing so i cranked it over and it worked as it should but then after i tried it a second time it did the same thing as before. I've looked at all the wires and they all look fine, and i completely switched the wires around on the solenoid and nothing different. i cant think of anything it could be other than what i tried already so hopefully someone on this forum that actually knows what they're doing can help.

Idk if this helps.... but before i replaced the ignition switch the previous owner used a flathead screwdriver to start it.

kannabisking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
sarfu
1974 CJ5 

Had the same problem, turns out the electrical connections to the Ignition switch were loose, I wrapped it with electrical tape and have not had a problem in months.
sarfu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
KJNewbs
1983 CJ7 

I read a thread recently while researching my solenoid, alternator and starter wiring where a guy had this same problem. I'll see if I can dig it back up. I believe that the suggestions were to confirm the wiring from the switch to the solenoid to the starter. As Sarfu mentioned, it is probably a wiring issue (be it a loose or shorted connection) - something is making the circuit before you tell it to.....

1983 lime green CJ7 - 258 with DUI & Weber, Crane cam, 2" lift, MTs w/ BFGs

2010 2-Door, 6-Speed Black JK Sahara - Teraflex 3" Coil Lift with Front Lower and Rear Upper Flex Arms - Bilstein 5100 Shocks -JKS Front Adjustable Track Bar - Teraflex Front Knuckle Gussets - Rock Hard Oil Pan/Engine Skid - Rock Hard Transfer case skid - Rock Hard Evap relocation Kit - Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers - MBRP off-road exhaust - AEV Pintler Wheels - GoodYear MTR/K 35x12.5x17 - Detroit Track Loc Carrier up Front - Yukon 4.88 Gears - Cobra 75 CB with Cool Tech bracket - Die-Tech mirror relocation brackets
KJNewbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2011, 07:27 AM   #4
kannabisking
1952 CJ3A 

Hey sarfu Ill double check that, getting behind them jeep dash's is a ***** though, haha(btw my cj is a 74' also). And kjnewbs, if you can find that thread i would appreciate it. not being able to wheel in my newest jeep is really pissing me off
Unread 11-08-2011, 07:29 AM   #5
Moto4x4
2006 TJ Wrangler 

In soviet russia, the problem would be you

nah i have nothing to contribute, just trolling. Hope you find your answer soon
Unread 11-08-2011, 07:51 AM   #6
stodg73
1979 CJ5 

Check to make sure that your starter solenoid is wired right. This may cause the problem that you are having. My finger is pointing to the cable from the battery.
Unread 11-08-2011, 06:07 PM   #7
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Try taking off the control wires from the solenoid. Just leave the battery cable and the starter feed connected. Doe sit still do it? If so then solenoid.

If it only does it when the control wires are connected then it is either a short or an issue with the switch. If the PO was starting it with a screwdriver shoved in the side of the column there is a fair chance you have an issue with the lock to rod to switch.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
kannabisking
1952 CJ3A 

Ive checked the solenoid wires and they all seem to be in place. And bagusjeep ive tried what you said and it still did it....but even after i changed the solenoid(twice!) it still did it
Unread 11-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #9
sillykid
1985 CJ7 

is your solenoid grounded to the fender properly? if you place a jumper between the two posts on the solenoid will it fire?
sillykid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
4x4 , cj5 , electrical , fix , jeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.