Whats Wrong????????? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Whats Wrong?????????

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 11-16-2004, 05:15 PM   #1
DEERSLAYER1407

Whats Wrong?????????

I have no clue what is wrong with my jeep now. I have a 1981 Jeep CJ7, and the other night when i was driving home, all the lights got real dim. The lights on the dash were almost completely out. I charged the battery, and that made it go back to normal, so i tested the battery while it was running, and it didnt show that it was charging at all. But i then tested the alternator and it was putting out a charge to the battery. So what is wrong. Parts house said it wasn't alternator, and said they had something marked in their book about an indicator light not working will keep the battery from charging, but i have no clue where the indicator light would be, does anyone have a wiring diagram for an '81 with a 4 cylinder motor?. Any Help is really appreciated, since this is a daily driver.
Thanks in advance.

DEERSLAYER1407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2004, 05:21 PM   #2
alabamabuddog
1981 CJ7 

That sounds like PooP to me. Im thinking you might have a short thats draining your bat. Have you checked your ground strap? That will really mess one up, you need a good ground from battery to body or frame.
alabamabuddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2004, 05:25 PM   #3
DEERSLAYER1407

I checked the ground, and it looked just fine. I also cleaned up both of the battery cables. Its got my dad and me confused.
Unread 11-16-2004, 05:28 PM   #4
alabamabuddog
1981 CJ7 

have you tried to wiggle the light switch when this happens? I had one mely right out in the floor. As well as the dimmer switch.
Unread 11-16-2004, 05:38 PM   #5
alabamabuddog
1981 CJ7 

Got Yahoo ?
Unread 11-16-2004, 05:52 PM   #6
DEERSLAYER1407

i messed around with the light switch, and it didnt make any difference. And yeah i have yahoo.
Unread 11-16-2004, 05:56 PM   #7
walrus

Are the headlights dim as well?
Unread 11-16-2004, 06:02 PM   #8
walrus

Does it start easily again? Sounds like alternator, battery, batt drain, grounds, or switch contacts.
Unread 11-16-2004, 06:04 PM   #9
jstltreat

You need to turn on lights and then recheck your alternator again. I would bet the alternator is junk.(or take alternator in and have it bench checked).
Unread 11-16-2004, 06:42 PM   #10
DEERSLAYER1407

i just found out the alternator was bad. I started it and took off the ground, and it should keep running, but it died. So im going to get a new alternator tomorrow for $39.00 at advanced autoparts
Unread 11-16-2004, 07:29 PM   #11
thompsong

regulator

If there is a negative diode burned out in the alternator it will charge but not enough to keep the battery charged more than the draw with the lights on. In addition, the burned diode will cause the alternator at rest to draw about .5 amps instead of the normal .2. You can replace an intregral regulator but it actually costs more to do that than to replace the entire alternator. Be careful to have both battery cables unhooked when you install the alternator. Then connect the positive and finally the negative. A spark while connecting it can burn out a diode.
thompsong is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.