What's it Worth? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What's it Worth?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-04-2010, 04:29 AM   #16
JBWood05TJ
Cut to Fit-Paint to Match

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone for all of the advice and input. I thought the $19.5 was too high, but really wanted your input to confirm. I'm not looking for another project. I've already got a TJ that I spend so much time with that my wife has taken to calling it The Other Woman.

What would be a reasonable price for a Jeep like this?

JBWood05TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 09:26 AM   #17
MoC
1986 CJ7 

It is also missing the air duct that comes up from behind the dash to the left of the ash tray. The one that some people think is a change / wallet holder.
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #18
abbjax
1979 CJ7 

The jeeps listed on ebay and the reserves been met so someones willing to pay at least 13K. Looking at the pics on ebay, the emission decal is missing on top of the grill to the left of the radiator and the firewall is black not red so probably been resprayed. Nice looking Jeep.
abbjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 10:22 AM   #19
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

A few thoughts:

The devil is in the details. We would need to see detailed photos of the engine from top and bottom. It would also be helpful to see the axles, brakes, steering box, transmission and transfer case, etc.

I have seen a lot of CJs for sale in the $20K range and I have no doubt that a few people will pay that for a good Jeep. I suspect those people rarely find their way to Jeepforum because they're having a mechanic perform whatever work is needed.

One reason to pay $20K for a CJ is that you're getting a Jeep that's going to need very little work. You're never going to get something as good a new, but for $20K you should be getting something that's almost as good.

Don't be fooled by a pretty paint job and interior though. A CJ that's worth $20K has got to be mechanically sound under the hood and everywhere else.

Keep in mind that just because a Jeep is low mileage doesn't mean it's going to run right or reliably in the near future. Vaccum lines wear out, gaskets leak, seals break down, plastic gets brittle, gasoline turns to varnish, and fluids find their way out of their chambers. It's no different with any 25 or 30 year old vechicle.

I get the geeling that there are enough people out there who will pay $20K for a low-mileage, shiny-looking, classic Jeep that you might have a tough time bargaining a lower price. You have to remember that potential buyers for such a CJ probably don't mind spending $20K for a fun toy and if they have to drop another $10K to fix problems that crop up, that's OK. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's a different mindset than most of us here who are operating with smaller budgets, trying to bring $1500 CJs back to life on a budget that also includes caring for the family on modest budget.

Nice looking Jeep though. I'd love to see it in person to check out some of the details under the hood. I'm no old-time CJ mechanic, but I have worked on mine enough to know some of the problem areas to look for.

One final thought: I have been watching CJ prices for the last 5 years or so, and I suspect that prices are higher in the Texas area. It probably has something to do with the economy, or perhaps the lack of road salt in the southern part of the state. I see people posting about $1500 CJs here on JF that would have probably sold for 2 or 3 times the price in Texas.

Last edited by Ken4444; 07-04-2010 at 10:26 AM.. Reason: Spell check
Ken4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 10:29 AM   #20
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

Everyone on here always SAYS that jeeps like that are overpriced. However, the truth is, you can't find one like that for much less. Yes, you can find one in very good condition for less, but not in that condition. I seriously doubt you'll find one like that for less than 15K. That's assuming that it really is in as good of shape as it appears to be, both mechanically and cosmetically.

I think the reason the "overpriced" opinion is so prevalent on here is because we tend to forget just how much money we really are pouring into older CJ's. For example:

Let's say you bought a "good" CJ as your starting point for $6,000. The paint is "OK" but not like the one you've shown. So, you add another $3000 for a good paint job. You need new seats - $700. The tires are worn so you spend another $600. Undercarriage looks bad - $300? to spray it. Need new carpet or decide to line it - $200-700. Engine, transfer case, or tranny needs to be rebuilt - $600-1500. Etc. Etc. And if you wanted to do a true frame-off rebuild, you'd have $20K in it before you could turn around.

CJ7 - God's gift to the masochist.
jeepsarecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #21
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsarecool View Post
Everyone on here always SAYS that jeeps like that are overpriced.... And if you wanted to do a true frame-off rebuild, you'd have $20K in it before you could turn around.
I fully agree. IF you can find a $20K CJ that really, truly is mechanically sound and looks like it will be so in the future, then it's a fair deal if you have that kind of money for it. Keep in mind that new, modest car is going to cost you $15K to $20K anyhow, so paying that for a great CJ isn't too far fetched IMO. I think a big part of it comes down to what you want to do with your time. Do you enjoy spending your free time working on the CJ, or do you want to only drive the CJ and know that it's rarely going to have problems because all of the problems have been worked out?
Unread 07-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #22
CrazyIvan888
1993 ZJ 

Of course, it must be pointed out also that the problem with buying a Jeep like that is that you will forever be worried about scratching it.
Unread 07-04-2010, 11:46 AM   #23
JBWood05TJ

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks again for all of the insight and input, guys. I'm going to go look at it and try to determine where this thing is at mechanically. I've spent hundreds of hours building my TJ, so I should be able to view this rig with a pretty critical eye. If the guy will let me take a bunch of pictures, I will and then post them up later.
Unread 07-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #24
JBWood05TJ

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well I went down and looked at this CJ today, and took a few pictures.

Impressions: This is a very nice looking Jeep. However, I do believe that it has been restored at some point. I noticed a couple of things about the paint, namely a couple of flaws that looked like minor runs, that I just don't think I'd see in a factory paint job. Also, the paint is almost 'too nice' if that makes sense. Red is probably the worst color for oxidization, and particularly in paint jobs from the 70s and 80s. At least this has been what I have seen with other vehicles. Other than the runs, the paint on this Jeep looks like it could have been done very recently. I did notice a couple of small crinkles in the pinstriping decals - something else that I don't think would have happened at the factory.

The wheel wells and underside of the Jeep, and perhaps the fire wall, have been coated with a black coating. I don't know much about CJs, so I don't know if they came like this or not. But the coating certainly does not seem to be almost 30 years old.

I also believe that this Jeep may have been wrecked and repaired. I noticed a couple of areas along the sides of the hood and the rear quarter panels that appear to be rippled some. I tried to get a shot of the VIN plate so that I could research this, but it didn't come out.

Mechanically, I saw a few things that might be a concern, but I'd have to draw on you guys' expertise to be sure that these are potential problems and not just par for the course for a CJ. The bottoms of the rear diff, transfer case, and oil pan all had drops of oil forming on the bottom of them. You can see some of this in the pics. All of the hoses, belts, and other rubber and plastic components inside the engine bay appeared to be in almost new condition, which makes me think that they have been recently replaced. I also noticed that the areas around the head gaskets appeared to be 'moist'. I could be from recent cleaning, but appeared to be oily to me.

The current owner claims to have acquired the Jeep in February of this year, and to have acquired it from a party in CA who got it from the original owner last year. The current owner says that the paint is original. I am not calling the guy a liar, but that does not appear to be the case to me. It could be that he was told something that isn't true.

Anyway, I'm think I'm going to pass on this one, as I don't think it is what is purported to be. I do thank you guys for all of the input and I'll be back if I find another CJ that I want to ask you guys about. Thanks again.
Unread 07-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #25
kakai81
1985 CJ7 

He got it in February and is selling it now. I think there is something wrong with it. Either that or he payed that much for it and realizes it was a mistake.

As for the overpriced issue. It doesn't matter if you put $1000 or $50,000 into your jeep. At some point you are not going to get that back when you sell it. Some people think they should get it all back. I rent a shop in town. There is a guy trying to sell a VW bug that he's had since new. He wants $9000 because he's kept every receipt for it's life. The car isn't worth a quarter of that, it's junk. When a buyer offered him $5,000 this week, and then called back offering $6,000, he turned it down. STUPID! He'll sit on it, and maybe find someone to buy it. That doesn't mean it's worth that, it just means that someone else thought it was worth that. As I've said before, if you spend $1 on a Ferarri, and hate it, you got ripped off. If you spend $10,000 on a junker, and it makes you happier than anything in the world, it was worth every penny.

Personally, if I paid $6000 for that jeep, it would not make me any happier than my jeep does now. So, to me, it's not worth anywhere near $19.5k.
kakai81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #26
hold24

1978 CJ7 

. That JEEP has alot of issues for that kind of money. the underside of that jeep looks original used with higher mileage. People are amazing to think a shiny paint job and nice looking seats could bring that kind of money. I would pass too.......If your looking for a beautiful fully documented jeep cj7 2nd owner nut and bolt resto...pm me. I'm thinking of selling.... now has the correct orange and gold renegade decals
dsc_1213.jpg   dsc_1216.jpg   dsc_1230.jpg   dsc_1236.jpg   dsc_1214.jpg  

1979 cj7 Cumberland green Golden Eagle 18k Original miles V8 auto..100% rust free Oregon Jeep..
hold24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #27
sevenlitre2002
1983 CJ7 

Absolutely no question that is not an "original" Jeep.
It has been restored at some point in it's life.
Most items have been mentioned already, but I'll list what I see.
Replacement seats
Wrong steering wheel
No pin stripe on dash
No pin stripe on grille
New decals
Missing air duct under dash
Standard door panels, not Laredo, which have carpeting on the bottom half

It almost looks like someone cobbled this together with whatever parts they had on hand
It is being advertised as an all original, 46,000 mile Jeep, and clearly it is not.
I'd pass on this one too.
sevenlitre2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #28
hold24

1978 CJ7 

Even with all those mixed up parts it's still a goodlooking jeep...but definately misrepresented.... and way to high priced.

1979 cj7 Cumberland green Golden Eagle 18k Original miles V8 auto..100% rust free Oregon Jeep..
Unread 07-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #29
featured
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hold24 View Post
. That JEEP has alot of issues for that kind of money. the underside of that jeep looks original used with higher mileage. People are amazing to think a shiny paint job and nice looking seats could bring that kind of money. I would pass too.......If your looking for a beautiful fully documented jeep cj7 2nd owner nut and bolt resto...pm me. I'm thinking of selling.... now has the correct orange and gold renegade decals

Wow! Your Jeep looks like it hasn't had oil in it since the resto, lol. Very nice.
featured is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2010, 09:09 AM   #30
hold24

1978 CJ7 

Thanks I just drive it on nice days....plus I'm scared to drive it lol......I don't want anything to happen to it... It's my starbucks weekend coffee getter.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.