What's it Worth? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What's it Worth?

Iron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-03-2010, 10:35 PM   #1
JBWood05TJ
Cut to Fit-Paint to Match

2005 TJ Wrangler 

What's it Worth?

Hey folks, TJ guy here. My question is not technical, but I hope the mods will leave this here for a bit, because I want to hear from you CJ guys specifically.

I'm going to look at a 1983 CJ-7 tomorrow. It has 41,000 original miles on it, two owners, and from the pics it appears to be just about pristine. The asking price is $19,500. That seems high, but I wanted to get some input from you guys on what this is worth. Again - just from the pics I've seen, this thing looks like it could have rolled of the line yesterday. We'll see how good of condition it really is in when I go look at it tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.

JBWood05TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
-jeep-jeep-
1983 CJ7 

pics are worth 1000 words but that is alot of money for any cj
Jeep # 4 - 1999 wj stock and still pretty
-jeep-jeep- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 10:55 PM   #3
dtcohen
1980 CJ7 

def. need some pics. but that is a LOT of money for a cj. You can get a pretty nice one for less that 10k
dtcohen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 11:01 PM   #4
JBWood05TJ

2005 TJ Wrangler 

That's what I was thinking, that it's a lot. But I have no idea about what CJs are worth, so that's why I came over here. Here are the only pics I have at this point.

Unread 07-03-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

That is one BEAUTIFUL Jeep.

Don't know about 19,5k, though. Wouldn't surprise me at all that it brings a bit over 10k. I've seen CJ's that aren't as nice sell for more than 10k.

Collins Brothers sells a lot of very nice Jeeps....around 20k seems to be where they are for similar condition models. Don't know if they come down a bit off their prices, but they certainly are selling to someone.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
jakemary
1977 CJ7 

nice jeep but not for that kind of $$
jakemary is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
CrazyIvan888
1993 ZJ 

Does it come with a top and doors?
Unread 07-03-2010, 11:28 PM   #8
JBWood05TJ

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyIvan888 View Post
Does it come with a top and doors?
Yes. Hard top and bikini top and doors.
Unread 07-04-2010, 12:00 AM   #9
Pacfanweb
Go Wolfpack

1981 CJ7 

Looking at it again, still a very nice Jeep.

I would be looking to see if it's been painted. One thing that tips me off is the "Laredo" decal on the hood....the letters are too far up on the curve. Should be lower.
Pacfanweb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 12:11 AM   #10
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

That is very nice! Did he do a resto on it or is he claiming it is all original? Believe there should have been some pin striping on the dash as well for a Laredo. Shouldn't it have a leather wrap steering wheel and grab bar too?

Last edited by VACJ7; 07-04-2010 at 12:22 AM..
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 12:24 AM   #11
JBWood05TJ

2005 TJ Wrangler 

The post just says that there have been two owners, that he just got it last year from the original owner in AZ, and that it's got 41K actual miles. So if it is as pristine as it appears in these pics, what do you guys think would be a reasonable offer?
Unread 07-04-2010, 12:30 AM   #12
SlikRic
Muddin Maniac

1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
Looking at it again, still a very nice Jeep.

I would be looking to see if it's been painted. One thing that tips me off is the "Laredo" decal on the hood....the letters are too far up on the curve. Should be lower.
Agreed, the stickers just don't look stock, maybe a poor dealer addon. They are not positioned right thou
SUICIDE
SlikRic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 12:46 AM   #13
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Looking at the pics... the rubber peddles aren't worn, there are no chips or rust around the door entry, the cat looks brand new... unless there is some amazing history with this Jeep, I'm guessing it's been redone. Why would you remove the top if you were just going to let it sit? There should at least be some barked paint at the door entry, IMO. I figure the guy redid the Jeep and is trying to recoup some of his cost. Which again, IMO, doesn't make it worth $20 grand. But value is in the eye-of-the-beholder! You can be proud of it if you buy it, but as somebody already said, you can find a pretty nice one for far less money.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 01:23 AM   #14
kakai81
1985 CJ7 

For $19.5k you could buy a cj in decent condition and make it into one hell of a ride. The best part would be that it would only have your mods, not someone elses idea of what's cool. I wouldn't come close to paying 20 grand for someone elses project, but I would drop that on my project in a heartbeat. That's just one more guy who thinks he should get back every penny he ever put into it.

It's definatly been restored. It is nice looking though.
kakai81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2010, 01:41 AM   #15
CJ8Extreme
1983 CJ7 

The seats do not look right as well. Normal CJ's had single color seats while every laredo jeep I have owned came with color combo seats. For example, black seats with sliver inlays or nutmeg seats with honey inlays etc... And yes the decal is much higher on the hood than my current 83 Laredo. Also it is missing the Laredo pin stripe on the dash as well. Still a nice looking jeep though. Another thing that catches my eye is the dash overlay, steering column overlay and the passenger grab handle. Why are they stainless? Why would you put those on a jeep that is supposedly prestine. The dash should have a black overlay as well as the steering column. The grab handle should of been coverd with a material that matched the interior as well. No factory radio as well. Something just doesn't add up with the jeep. Still a nice find though.
CJ8Extreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.