I am in the market for a late CJ7 project for the summer. I came across a man who has a 1979 for $800. Upon calling this is the information he gives me:
1. Has some bubbling paint spots (Expected due to the weather and sitting outside)
2. Rust spots around the windshield frame. (Again, Expected)
3. Floor pans do have some rust. Previous owner screwed a new floor pan in place? Makes me wonder HOW MUCH RUST.
4. Battery Trey has some rust in it.
5. Rear-Tail Gate was removed and the PO put a piece of galvanized metal in place of it. They bolted it in. He says there is rust but unsure how much.
6. Roll cage was modified with new pieces added on.
1. Transmission is completely shot. Not even rebuildable.
2. There was a Chevy 350 swap made, But there is no engine in there. (Headers, and full exhaust is there though, and bell housing for the 350)
3. Both axles are still there
4. Wheels tires are there
This jeep has sat quite a while. Im wondering if it's worth even driving to look at? I do have a couple questions for you guys though-
I can do the welding myself for the floors- How hard is it to replace them?
Did these years come with power steering or manual steering?
So it this thing worth the $800? I don't think it is. I was thinking more on the $300-$400 side. Seeing that I have to find a tranny, Engine, Tail-Gate, Doors, and fix some rust spots.