What's it worth? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What's it worth?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 05-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #1
OffRoadXJNC

What's it worth?

I am in the market for a late CJ7 project for the summer. I came across a man who has a 1979 for $800. Upon calling this is the information he gives me:

Body-

1. Has some bubbling paint spots (Expected due to the weather and sitting outside)
2. Rust spots around the windshield frame. (Again, Expected)
3. Floor pans do have some rust. Previous owner screwed a new floor pan in place? Makes me wonder HOW MUCH RUST.
4. Battery Trey has some rust in it.
5. Rear-Tail Gate was removed and the PO put a piece of galvanized metal in place of it. They bolted it in. He says there is rust but unsure how much.
6. Roll cage was modified with new pieces added on.

Suspension, Driveline-

1. Transmission is completely shot. Not even rebuildable.
2. There was a Chevy 350 swap made, But there is no engine in there. (Headers, and full exhaust is there though, and bell housing for the 350)
3. Both axles are still there
4. Wheels tires are there

This jeep has sat quite a while. Im wondering if it's worth even driving to look at? I do have a couple questions for you guys though-

I can do the welding myself for the floors- How hard is it to replace them?
Did these years come with power steering or manual steering?

So it this thing worth the $800? I don't think it is. I was thinking more on the $300-$400 side. Seeing that I have to find a tranny, Engine, Tail-Gate, Doors, and fix some rust spots.

Thanks

OffRoadXJNC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
BrandonJames
1974 CJ5 

well figure it this way, i just picked up a 69 cj5 with full fiberglass body for 800, it also has 2 3 speed trans's and a running 350
BrandonJames is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
4lowherewego
1979 CJ7 

anwsers my ? on how much you paid for the fiberglass 69....there are better deals to be had probably, but id shoot 400 at him and maybe settle for 550.

alot of the parts your looking for are easily accessible except maybe chevy tranny

what axles does it have? that may be another thing....dana 300 is nice....
4lowherewego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.