What's it take to make a stock 1984 CJ-7 smog legal in Cali.? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > What's it take to make a stock 1984 CJ-7 smog legal in Cali.?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-17-2002, 02:28 PM   #1
Empirion75

What's it take to make a stock 1984 CJ-7 smog legal in Cali.?

First it doesn't have catalytic convertor. So that could cost about $100. Engine is a 258cu I-6. As far as I know all the existing emmision wiring is still there. I've heard a smog pump is needed, I've never heard of one of those. How much $$$ am I looking at here? A friend in Cali wants to purchase my Jeep but the smog check might be to much of hurdle for him if it cost more than 1k.

Last edited by Empirion75; 10-17-2002 at 02:31 PM..
Empirion75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2002, 05:16 PM   #2
TG CJ7

84's came without smog pumps. Instead they have what is called Pulse Air System. Everything you need to know about emissions is on this page Jeep Adventures Under the Hood
The information on that page is for an 85, but your 84 will be exactly the same (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I have an 84 and the info seems to hold true.
If I were you I would pop the hood of my jeep right outside the front door so that you can run in and out, studing your jeep and the page at the same time.
Good Luck
Tim

Check it out 1979 CJ7
TG CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-18-2002, 10:14 AM   #3
Empirion75

Thank you so much. This is exactly what I need.
Empirion75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.