Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What's a Nutter Bypass?

17K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Geer_hed 
#1 ·
Just curious, What is a nutter bypass? Finally got the Jeep driveable and I'm looking for something else to break. Everyone seems to like it, but what does it do and how do you do it? Thanks for any info :D

#4 ·
Archived Link to Nutter Bypass

off-road's copy

Dale's ignition mods page

The bypass takes the EECU out of the ignition loop and makes the Carter BBD Stepper Motor out of the feedback loop, eliminating irksome stepper interference with your idle and removing a single point of failure in the ignition loop. When my computer died, I went with the bypass instead of $140 to replace that POS...

#6 ·
No. Atleast not in the same sense as the Carter BBD. The carter stepper has needles that can adjust mixture based on realtime feedback from various sensors as translated by the EECU.

This is what it looks like:

It's on the back of the Carter BBD, as pictured here:

If you're running an Edelbrock, then the EECU is already out of the emissions loop.

#9 ·
I did the MC2100 swap but I did the nutter anyway and noticed a smoother idle. Doing the nutter takes the ECU out of the ignition system too.........

#12 ·
redlinedcj said:
what years did the cj's have that?
Production Jeep CJ didn't implement the Feedback System until 1983, but I've found that certain models (such as the California Emissions Package) started as early as 1981.

If you have the MC2100, the only thing the nutter does for you is take the EECU out of the pickup coil / Ignition Module chatter loop. If you're not too worried about Etesting, do it! :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.